2009 - 2014 F-150

First 4K mile observations

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First 4K mile observations

Just thought I would share a few of my likes/dislikes of my 2010 Screw during the brief 2 mos and 4K miles I have owned her:

2010 4X4 Screw XLT (5.4)Tuxedo Black Tow pkg 18" wheels 3.55 gears
Sirius, no Sync ( oh well)
1. Love it!
All I can say. After trading in my '96 Xploder, this is exponentially better in every way! The ride is plenty smooth (esp for a truck) gobs of room for my stuff and my kids. We drive it just about everywhere in place of my wife's 2003 Chry van.

2. Performance:
I am pleased overall with this category. My previous truck experience was 2 Gen I Lightnings, both 94's. One was basically stock, my latter was Supercharged, mass air, complete exhaust, 30# injectors, fuel pump, MSD BTM, Rancho Torque Arms...yada, yada.. best ETA @ local track was 14.02@97MPH ( could do 13.7's all day on the street with my G-tech) BEFORE my exhaust and traction mods. It would smoke the tires all thru 1st and bark em good into 2nd. MOKAN track is not the best for street tires!! :LOL:

That being said, the 5.4 is very torquey down low, but does run out of steam around 4500RPMs. But hey, it is a behemoth truck and NOT mad for dragstrips!! I understand the difference!!
The 6spd tranny is very smooth when needed and somewhat firm under hard acceleration. I haven't experienced some of the hatred many here have for the tranny. Maybe I am lucky and got a good one!! I find myself trying to think of a home-improvement project that would require a trailer so I can try it out under heavy load!!

Plenty of power to jump the throttle and light up the rears, until stinkin traction control kicks in!!!
I did run one tank of E85 just to say I did...impressive power gain! The extra power was felt throughout the powerband. I must agree with everyone, the extra power does not offset the drop in mileage. I dropped to 11 MPG in town I think. Of course, part of that drop is.. more power: heavier foot!!!

3. Mileage:
not bad, again considering the size! 15 avg in town, 18 on trip to LR, Ar right after I bought it.

4. Wish list:
I regret now not getting Sync, I can see now how nice that would be.
I wish it had the Convenience pkg, Home link would be nice and the heated mirrors and turn signal mirrors too.

This spring I am getting aftermarket, Katskin?, leather put in with heated option as well from a local shop I have a good relationship with.

I just wanted to drop a line and say I enjoy this Forum, since sold my Lightning I haven't been active in one! NLOC.net was a great wealth of info for mods just as this one seems to be!!

Jason

All in all, I really am happy with the purchase. I got a great deal on it and know it will last for a long time!

Last edited by svt450; 02-14-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:39 PM
I just passed 4000 miles on 2010 XLT. I too am overall impressed. Meets or exceeds all expectations. I don't think you missed much by not getting sync. Other than the bluetooth, I don't use it that much. The text to voice would be nice but it doesn't work with most verizon phones.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:32 PM
Try disengaging you traction control...Though your rear tires might not last long.LOL
I am also very impressed with the 6 spd tranny, very smooth and finds just the right gear to be in.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:30 PM
Mine really doesn't spin the tires with or without traction control. But I am happy with the accleration and the tranny is good stuff. They sync is a nice feature, but it is doing some weird things. might need an update.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:33 PM
Sync is nice but could live without it if need be. I don't use it very often. Overall, I love my 2010. Sometimes wish I would have gotten a screw though

Old 02-15-2011, 12:42 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Jason, did you buy it from Fletcher?

Old 02-15-2011, 01:10 PM
No, I went to Lindsay Ford in Lebanon. I know the GM there and he took all the rebates off of invoice. Fletcher would only take them off sticker, they wouldn't budge.

Where in JOMO do yo live?

Old 02-16-2011, 03:50 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Near Jackson and E.

Fletcher wouldn't deal on a 2010? That's BS.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:57 PM
I know that area, was a FedEx guy for 6yrs!

Yeah, the sales guy kept calling asking when I was going to buy from them. I said when you will match the deal I knew I could get from Lindsay Ford. Couldn't do it.

Plus, all the XLT's they had were not optioned like I wanted, and they only had a few. Most were all Lariat's. Would dealer trade for me, but didn't really act like they wanted to.
No big deal, I got a good deal and helped a friend make a sale!!

Old 02-16-2011, 06:03 PM
4. Wish list:
I regret now not getting Sync, I can see now how nice that would be.
I wish it had the Convenience pkg, Home link would be nice and the heated mirrors and turn signal mirrors too.

I agree with you on that. I have a pretty plain fx4. no sync. I wish i had the volume and heat controls on the steering wheel now. However mine does have heated mirrors and turn signals. i opted for the fx4 to get the 3:73's. I did a review like this a while back when mine rolled over so many miles . I had them put katskins in mine with the heated seats. Id almost say i like that leather better then the factory. you wont be dissappointed in that. Anyway here was my post review...
https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...-2010-fx4.html

Old 02-16-2011, 06:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have about a month in a half and 2500 miles on mine 5.4L Screw 4WD.

I have pretty much the same reaction. I can't believe how much torque this engine has. Very deceiving with a 365 lbs torque rating. I have so much tire spin off throttle, I have to feather it. I have the 265/70/17 Off Road tires.

While technically my recent 2008 Sport Trac with it's 4.6L 3 Valve was faster, if you got into the pedal and wound it up, this F150 feels a lot more powerful since I don't usually redline my vehicles with everyday driving.

The Sport Trac's lower torque never really threw me into the back of the seat. The F150 reallly pushes me into the seat when I give it moderate throttle. I'm really impressed.

The transmission and every part of the truck have been great. Just as reliable as my most reliable vehicle I've ever owned, my 2008 Sport Trac!

I'm getting a little heavy footed, loving the extra power this truck outputs. Normal town driving without the foot, is about 14 - 15 mpg. Mixed driving is 16.5 to 17.0. This is winter economy which I usually do 1 mpg better in spring/summer. It's only about 1 mpg less than my 2008 Sport Trac 4WD with it's 4.6L 3 valve.

Ford has come along way. Even the Chevy guys at work love my truck!

Quick Reply: First 4K mile observations