2009 - 2014 F-150

Should I wait for th 36 Gallon Tank on Ecoboost?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 10:42 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerrard155
Everyone has their little things that they want in a vehicle, dont be so critical of a guy who wants something specific in his truck.
I'm gonna leave out the math debate. We could twist numbers all day to prove our point. It would be a waste of time as the only real numbers we have on the EB is what the EPA has tested, the results of a few people who have them and the studies of the Ford engineers who determined the 26 gallon tank was the best for this motor.

The added mileage of the EB negates the smaller gas tank. Until someone from Ford publicly states why this combo has the smaller tank we can only guess. It might be from durability testing showing the fuel pump with the EB does not work well with the 36 gallon tank. There could be other equipment under the truck that gets in the way. But as I showed on the highway you will not have a problem with range. FWIW the few people who have received their EB trucks are getting close to the published numbers on new motors.

He asked a question about other people's opinions. That's exactly what I gave him.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:36 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the older 2V that generally gets worse FE than the 3V. My best tank ever was 15mpg. Usually 12-13 unloaded. I think 15mpg towing 6500 pound TT is optimistic, but I hope so for both of us!

Along interstates is usually fine. But I like camping away from the interstates. Heck, I've partially pulled onto the shoulder of a 2-lane road next to corn fields for my 5year old to pee in the camper. In Michigan's upper Penninsula, towns can be 30 miles apart and I don't want to fill up at Jed's Top Off.

Anyway, we'll get some feedback this summer on EB TT towing. I am leaning towards an 8.1L Suburban anyway (with 39gal tank). F-150 and it's replacement as a tow vehicle will not be a daily driver. You probably have more miles on your 2010 than I have on my 03. Unloaded FE does not matter much in that case.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wookie
Ok, your sig shows a MPG of 15.9MPG. This is 572 miles, which is exactly the same as the EB at published MPG. This is still 8+ hours of driving at freeway speeds. What are you giving up again?
Nice math... Driving through WV in the winter the Eco will not get 21 mpg just like my 4.6L doesn't get 20.

Originally Posted by Gerrard155
You are not making an apples to apples comparison here. You are comparing his real world mpg to the epa rating for an ecoboost. The epa rating for a 4.6L 4x4 is 14city/20hwy.
Thanks for the back up Gerrard...

To the OP if you want the Eco get it... It will just take some adjusting to the smaller tank. I would not settle for another engine just to get the bigger tank nor would I put off getting the truck hoping to get a bigger tank.

Last edited by mstang66guy; 02-17-2011 at 03:03 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by BigZAJ
That's the boat I'm in, I mean West Texas is a BIG expanse. Not always easy to find gas stations and not always gas stations you want to stop at.
I'm sorry, but I had to laugh at this. I live in Alaska, and I do fine with my 2005 5.4 with it's 26 gallon tank, and there are far fewer gas stations in between the cities here than Texas, trust me. I live in Anchorage, my girlfriend is going to grad school in Fairbanks. I drive up every weekend to be with her. Use google maps and check the mileage on that. If you're concerned about running low on fuel, bring a spare can, like everyone that drives a truck here does. But if you're honestly complaining about having to stop twice for gas instead of just once because of the smaller tank, wow.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by JohnnyCashAK
I'm sorry, but I had to laugh at this. I live in Alaska, and I do fine with my 2005 5.4 with it's 26 gallon tank, and there are far fewer gas stations in between the cities here than Texas, trust me. I live in Anchorage, my girlfriend is going to grad school in Fairbanks. I drive up every weekend to be with her. Use google maps and check the mileage on that. If you're concerned about running low on fuel, bring a spare can, like everyone that drives a truck here does. But if you're honestly complaining about having to stop twice for gas instead of just once because of the smaller tank, wow.

Couldn't agree more there is alot of nitpicking that goes on...this issue seems so ridiculous to me.....I'm glad I'm not alone....

Last edited by Reddragon8; 02-17-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:06 PM
I used to do fine with a regular cab, roll up windows and bench seats. XL or XLT used to do fine. Lariat as the top trim used to do fine. Hydraulic steering steering used to do fine. 5 speed tranny used to do fine. The 5.4 used to do fine. 15 mpg used to be fine. Poor crash test ratings used to do fine.

It's not whether you are doing fine. It's whether this is a feature people want or need. If they do then Ford should make the 36 gallon possible as they do with the other engines. Just because you think it is useless doesn't make it so to someone else. One might think remote start and heated seats are ridiculous but another might want them. Another might think 4wd is worthless and another might think it is a must have. People have different wants and needs.

In calculating the actual mileage to a tank, you also have to leave some fuel in the tank. If you run it down to a 1/4 tank before filling then you will really only have 19.5 gallons available.

If you're towing a big load, you may only get 9 mpg (pickuptrucks.com observed 8.9-9.5 towing). So that will be 175 miles before you have to start thinking about filling up. I would prefer the extra 100 miles the larger tank gives. Same with on the highway unloaded - another 200+ miles. Give me the larger tank please.

If you want this feature, wait for it or you will be like those who bought one of the last 2010's who are now saying they should have waited. It is up to you what you want to do. They would not have said it will be an option if it wasn't going to be one. So you have to wait? Your 09 isn't going anywhere. Just put gas in it and tires on it and keep driving it.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:30 PM
I value a larger tank, I love my stock 36. When hauling through the Rockies last summer I was averaging 8mpg with the RV in tow. It was nice to worry less and buy where the prices were better.

I jerked the 30gal out of my F250 and installed a TFI 46gal. The best 860 bucks I ever spent. My towing range went from 250 miles to 450+ miles. Plus I could buy quality fuel at the truck stops and skip the local mom and pops charging 10-15 cents a gal more. With the stock tank I filled up 3 times in one day almost ran out twice, it sucked.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:57 PM
If you tow, I'd wait. I pulled my Travel Trailer with my previous 2008 Sport Trac 4.6L 3 Valve and I got about 9 mpg. I had a 22.5 gallon tank. It was not enough. When towing in very rural areas, you need time to find a gas station that is big enough for your trailer and doesn't look like half their storage tanks are filled with water (really run down stations). I've came close a few times hitting the gas station right when I was on empty. With 9 - 11 mpgs, the fuel vanishes quickly when you're not expecting it!!

If you don't tow, the 26 gallon should be great.

BTW, my numbers for the Sport Trac's 4.6L 3 Valve were 15 mpg city/20 mpg highway .

Old 02-18-2011, 07:50 AM
APT
I'm sorry, but I had to laugh at this. I live in Alaska, and I do fine with my 2005 5.4 with it's 26 gallon tank
I agree, unloaded. But when that low fuel light comes on after 150 miles when I tow and I know I have about 25 miles to find something with my wife and 3 little kids on board, it is not fun.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:05 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
So when is the bigger tank going to be available? It seems silly they would delete this as an option for 2011, it's not like they redesigned the truck or anything

Old 02-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Carry a 5 gallon gas container. I'm not waiting, too impatient.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by L8 APEX
I jerked the 30gal out of my F250 and installed a TFI 46gal. The best 860 bucks I ever spent. My towing range went from 250 miles to 450+ miles. Plus I could buy quality fuel at the truck stops and skip the local mom and pops charging 10-15 cents a gal more. With the stock tank I filled up 3 times in one day almost ran out twice, it sucked.
This is an interesting idea, I wonder what kind of options there are for the 150...

Myself, I don't want a large take for towing, or long trips (I like to stop every 3 hours or so on long trips...)

What I don't like is not being able to go a week of normal commuting with gas stops... I think the EB + 26 will give me that, but I would still rather have the 36 if it was offered...

Old 02-18-2011, 05:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jerry-rigged
This is an interesting idea, I wonder what kind of options there are for the 150...

Myself, I don't want a large take for towing, or long trips (I like to stop every 3 hours or so on long trips...)

What I don't like is not being able to go a week of normal commuting with gas stops... I think the EB + 26 will give me that, but I would still rather have the 36 if it was offered...
How many miles a week do you drive? I drive at least 60+ miles a day 5 days a week plus that much or quite a bit more on the weekends. I average 400-420 miles a week. I usually stop one time a week for gas normally Tuesday or Wednesday depending on the driving I did over the weekend.

I currently have a 30 gallon tank behind a 05 5.4 which gets 15-16MPG (EPA 13-17). I have no doubt the EB with a 26 gallon tank will get me at least this much as I would only have to average 17.3MPG (EPA 16-21). On long trips I have never had a problem with range. Even in the backwoods of Arkansas where it is a 30 minute drive just to get a cell phone to work, out in west Texas, the swamps of Louisiana or making it an entire long weekend in Chicago without adding gas (it is stupid expensive there). If it only takes an additional 2.3 MPG to get the same range as what I have I’m a happy camper. The EB is rated at 4 more MPG so there’s little doubt I’ll be disappointed.

The other problem I see is once gas gets close to $3.00 I can’t fill the truck up. Most of the pumps around here shut off at $75. Some places will let you re-run your card some won’t.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:20 PM

I am on the flip side of that. I live in Fairbanks and drive to Anchorage on a very regular basis to visit an old college buddy of mine, and I can say that having the 36 gallon tank is far better than the 26 I had in my Silverado. And when its the middle of winter I really do not feel comfortable letting my tank go very far below 1/2 in the middle of nowhere expanse that can be the Parks Highway in January. And I also enjoy not having to stop in Cantwell or Talkeetna and pay somewhere between 30-50 cents more a gallon for gas. Used to be, for me anyway, that during the winter I would stop in Cantwell both ways for gas, and in Wasilla on my way out of Anchorage; and during the summer I would stop in Wasilla both ways. Now, I leave Fairbanks with a full tank and stop to fill up in Wasilla on my way out of anchorage. To me its absolutely a convenience to not have to put gas in my truck umpteen times on a road trip, and I really enjoy it. However, that's just my opinion, and I realize not everyone will agree with that. I will, however, agree with you that Texas is nothing like the Parks highway in the winter. Few gas stations along the route, none that I can think of that are open any later than 7-8pm. Completely different animal than Texas, I guarantee that.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:53 AM
Red face

Originally Posted by gasbrnr
Carry a 5 gallon gas container. I'm not waiting, too impatient.
Or if you really dont want to stop much get one of these....

http://www.monstermarketplace.com/di...uel-tank-combo

Quick Reply: Should I wait for th 36 Gallon Tank on Ecoboost?