2009 - 2014 F-150

Should I wait for th 36 Gallon Tank on Ecoboost?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 05:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I wait for th 36 Gallon Tank on Ecoboost?

I was literally on my way to buy a 2011 Platinum Ecoboost the other day when I learned of the 26 gallon limitation. I love having the 36 gallon tank in my 2009 right now, I drive long trips to West Texas and Northern Arkansas and range is my friend (especially when towing). Should I wait on the 36 gallon tank, is it even likely that it will come to the Ecoboost F150?

Old 02-16-2011, 05:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For me it's not that big of deal. I have the old 5.4 with the 4 speed tranny and a 30 gallon tank. Even with that combo range has never been a problem. I have always ran out of bladder before gas.

I have an Platinum EB on order right now and the 26 gallon tank is not a problem. I have ran the numbers the range will be every bit as much or more than what I have now. I really do not see what the big deal is with the tank size.

26 gallons x 22 mpg = 572 miles @ 70MPH = 8.2 hours.
30 gallons x 16 mpg = 480 miles @ 70MPH = 6.9 hours.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:11 PM
Whats the big hang-up with this 26 vs 36 gallon tank??? so you have to stop at a gas station a bit more...is anyone on here planning on driving primarily in a location where there is no gas station or something??? This argument perplexes me to no end....there are gas stations every 1-2 km's....

Old 02-16-2011, 07:32 PM
I can see where it would be nice if you'll be towing alot, as your milage (While towing), will go down, thus lowering the number of miles you can go on a tank. Really though, if I was ready to buy now, I wouldn't let that stop me at all. No guarantee the bigger tank will even be an option later, that's another 80 lbs to carry around.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:43 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Whats the rush? I'd wait for the bigger tank! I have a 30 gallon tank on my 07 & wish that it was bigger! No way would I go smaller!

Old 02-16-2011, 10:06 PM
After having the 36 gallon on my 2010 I would be hard pressed to go smaller. The convenience of the extra fuel on hand if needed is a great benefit when driving around the backwoods of WV. (FYI gas stations are few and far between there)

My old jeep had a 20 gal tank which was sufficient, but now that I have the 36 it would be a big adjustment to go back.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by mstang66guy
After having the 36 gallon on my 2010 I would be hard pressed to go smaller. The convenience of the extra fuel on hand if needed is a great benefit when driving around the backwoods of WV. (FYI gas stations are few and far between there)

My old jeep had a 20 gal tank which was sufficient, but now that I have the 36 it would be a big adjustment to go back.
That's the boat I'm in, I mean West Texas is a BIG expanse. Not always easy to find gas stations and not always gas stations you want to stop at.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mstang66guy

Ok, your sig shows a MPG of 15.9MPG. This is 572 miles, which is exactly the same as the EB at published MPG. This is still 8+ hours of driving at freeway speeds. What are you giving up again?

I have seen some desolate places. South Africa makes west Texas look bigger than Dallas but never gone 8 hours of driving without seeing a gas station.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:03 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by BigZAJ
That's the boat I'm in, I mean West Texas is a BIG expanse. Not always easy to find gas stations and not always gas stations you want to stop at.
I am going to guess you are somewhere south of Lubbok, maybe San Angelo or midland area? Lubbock north to Amarillo and the top of the panhandle is not too bad for finding quality gas stations, even in the smallest of towns.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:09 AM
Houston, run between there, Lubbock and El Paso 2x a month. 10 from San Antonio to El Paso at night isn't the most fun stretch of road I'd want to stop often.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:51 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by BigZAJ
Houston, run between there, Lubbock and El Paso 2x a month. 10 from San Antonio to El Paso at night isn't the most fun stretch of road I'd want to stop often.
I would have to agree. That is a lot of driving in a mostly barren desert waste land!

Old 02-17-2011, 01:08 AM
Originally Posted by Wookie
Ok, your sig shows a MPG of 15.9MPG. This is 572 miles, which is exactly the same as the EB at published MPG. This is still 8+ hours of driving at freeway speeds. What are you giving up again?

I have seen some desolate places. South Africa makes west Texas look bigger than Dallas but never gone 8 hours of driving without seeing a gas station.

You are not making an apples to apples comparison here. You are comparing his real world mpg to the epa rating for an ecoboost. The epa rating for a 4.6L 4x4 is 14city/20hwy. Since you used the highway mileage for the ecoboost, I will compare to the highway mileage for the 4.6L. His observed 15.9mpg is 22.8% lower than the epa rating of 20mpg. So, 22mpg for the ecoboost minus the 22.8% is 16.98mpg. That, times the 26 gallon tank, is 441.48 miles. That, as you may have noticed, is 130 miles less than his current range. Never mind that he would more than likely require another 4x4 truck, which the rating would be 21mpg. Again, applying the 22.8% loss, the real world economy would be 16.21. That would equate to 421.46 mile range, another 20 miles lost on the range. That is a large difference. I know for me personally, I really enjoy the 36 gallon tank as it allows me to not have to fill up at a gas station that is 50-80cents more a gallon because it is in the middle of nowhere, alaska. Everyone has their little things that they want in a vehicle, dont be so critical of a guy who wants something specific in his truck.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:29 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Reddragon8
Whats the big hang-up with this 26 vs 36 gallon tank??? so you have to stop at a gas station a bit more...is anyone on here planning on driving primarily in a location where there is no gas station or something??? This argument perplexes me to no end....there are gas stations every 1-2 km's....
My problem with the 25 gallon tank I have now is towing my TT at 7mpg. I fill up every 150 miles. Finding a gas station that I can pull a 19' truck + 31' TT into is not always convenient. I make sure I top off my tank before I hook up. The EB is not going to be much better towing. 10mpg would be incredible, but that really only means 220 miles between fillups. I'd like another hundred, please!

Old 02-17-2011, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by APT
My problem with the 25 gallon tank I have now is towing my TT at 7mpg. I fill up every 150 miles. Finding a gas station that I can pull a 19' truck + 31' TT into is not always convenient. I make sure I top off my tank before I hook up. The EB is not going to be much better towing. 10mpg would be incredible, but that really only means 220 miles between fillups. I'd like another hundred, please!
I side with your reasoning APT, but I towed some long miles when I had our 34 foot North Trail, and never found it was a big deal. Along the interstates, they figure alot of semis are looking for fuel, and mini truck stop style stations are fairly abundant. Now, if you are driving cross country, well, I think 14 year-old fuel at Jed's Top Off is your bigger problem.

And, I hope for my sake your 10mpg EcoBoost tow number is off. I averaged about 10+ towing my North Trail with my 2008 F-150, and now average a consistent 12mpg with my 2010 (both 5.4L Screws). I think the 6-speed makes a difference, however, I hate the constand shifting. I am anticipating I would get about 15 at a minimum with the EcoBoost in a similar towing situation with all that torque at highway speeds. Your North Trail isn't much heavier, so I'm thinking you'd be better than 10mpg with the EB. Why you are getting only 7 mpg now with your rig is beyond me. Of course, now that I think of it, I was running an intake, exhaust, and tunes.

As a side note and not specifically directed at you APT, I can remember when I had a 25 gallon tank (if I recall correctly) on my 2007 and I had a coronary. It was a "20+" gallon tank - not a "30+". But, I drove 1000 miles a week. Then, they offfered the 36 gallon option and I ordered it on my 2008. The eyes of about 90% here popped out at a 36 gallon tank and they cried because "it would take too much money to fill it". Now, the 26 gallon tank isn't big enough with an engine that gets better fuel economy. Funny, I say.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:08 AM
Plus for waiting -
waiting another year for the EB will give Ford a year to work out any bugs in the motor.

Minus for waiting - they might no give us the 36 gallon tank in '12...

If you really want the extra range, and really want to buy this year, Tractor Supply sells a nice ~35 gallon in-bed tank... 26+35 beats the chit out of 36 as far as range is concerned...

Quick Reply: Should I wait for th 36 Gallon Tank on Ecoboost?