2009 - 2014 F-150

for those with v-leds, used in all turn, stop, park, ect. situation

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for those with v-leds, used in all turn, stop, park, ect. situation

I installed fog lights and front turn/park - color changing last night. i already had front side markers which were led. but installed brighter ones.

after install, flipped on lights ( it was dark ) and everythng was working great.

today driving into work. pulled up to gas station to get a snack. noticed left turn was still blinking per the way i pulled into lot. also blinking was the passanger side, however it was white. and the side markers were also blinking , as was the passanger rear lights. but they were dimmer.

seems with the lights not 'ON' there are some open to ground situations through the PCM, causing series connections. and or those color changing bulbs are causing some feed back?

turned lights on . and everything then works like it should.

i dont realy want to drive around with all lights on all the time. ( i enabled drls for actual headlights for that purpose).

i also emailed v-leds.com support. as they were not yet open. ill post what i get from them as well. any ideas on here for those running them with no issues?

thanks.. eveyone have a good week.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:45 AM
Turns out you shouldnt be tired or in a hurry or both when doing stuff like this. i installed the diodes inline with the blinker ckt.. so.. i have 6 more diodes to install on the parking side.

i might install a pair of resistors to stop hyper flash. but they dont flash enought for people to not notice im turning , and they dont bother me.

ill let everyone know , but im sure this will fix the backfeed issue.

b

Old 02-22-2011, 12:02 PM
I got some 3 amp 400PIV Rectifier Diodes from Radio Shack, I hope they fix my problem too. Are you going to solder them?

Old 02-22-2011, 01:12 PM
I cut the wires about 2.5in back from socket. yes soldering them is the only way to go. i installed it on the truck side first. slid heat shrink over the diode and wire. and then soldered socket side. then torched heat shrink . i even put a bit of silicone on each end of heat shrink as it did not completly seal up , had to go up a size to slide over diode.

all in all it wont hurt having diodes on each wire. anything to protect that bitchy SJB!!!..

i dont like doing stuff like this to a truck still in warranty. but i have too.

the 194's i put up front in side markers. they did not fit all that well. i have one that goes out now and then. i even dabbed a bit of silicone on the side- not in the socket to help hold it. ill take a look at that tonight. time for more fun..

as far as resistors go. i dont mind them flashing a bit faster. i did have someone at a light tell me i must have a bulb burnt out.. but that was only 1x..

im using 1.5A 1000v diodes from the shack. forward v drop is 1.1 v at full 1.5A. i plan on measuring current draw tonight just to see how much current draw they actually have. i dont believe its much. because at a 1.1 v drop you would notice a bit in the brightness of the led's .

Old 02-22-2011, 01:14 PM
right now . only the puddle lamps and headlights are non-led. might try the puddle lamps. have sylvania silverstars in headlights from the second day i owned the truck. ultras from sylvania are on the way. heard that on here and at auto zone.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:25 PM
I planned to do the same thing with the heat shrink and solder, I just have never had to solder anything so that's the only thing that's keeping me from getting them in right now.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:17 AM
Originally Posted by BETCHER78
right now . only the puddle lamps and headlights are non-led. might try the puddle lamps. have sylvania silverstars in headlights from the second day i owned the truck. ultras from sylvania are on the way. heard that on here and at auto zone.
So you have LED's in your reverse lamps? Which ones do you have? Do they make a big difference? Can you post some pics with these?

Thanks

Old 02-23-2011, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by jcaru
So you have LED's in your reverse lamps? Which ones do you have? Do they make a big difference? Can you post some pics with these?

Thanks
http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/P...-p7526829.html

Work is going to be crazy the next couple days.. ill get some pics. I used these in the backup lamps as well as the cargo lamps. i had led's in there previously. they were a 9 led design that faced directly back. they were probably just as bright. however the light pattern , more so for the backup bulbs, caused glare on the backup cam. these project out to the sides better . and make a nice evenly dispersed light pattern. cargo lamps definatly let you see whats in the bed without blinding you..

have a good one everyone. im sure it will be beer30 by 2 today. but its going to be a longer one than that!

also ,, putting diodes on teh parking wires on the 4 taillights , stopped the backfeed. didnt even need to put them on the front lights.
everything is working like it should.

Quick Reply: for those with v-leds, used in all turn, stop, park, ect. situation