Old 02-19-2011, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MGDfan

MGD
That is funny stuff right there!

Old 02-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by str8t six
so you cant put it on your bed rail while you fill up?
Well, one reason would be that not every Ford family vehicle with these is a pickup truck...with a bed rail. We're on our third cap on the wife's 2007 Mazda which uses a Ford cap @ $27 per.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:27 AM
I've been using the capless for over a year and love it. When fueling, I take the locking plug out and leave my key in it and set it carefully on my fiberglass lid, or on the gas pump. I'm not going anywhere without my key, so I need to reinstall the plug in order to get my keys back after fueling... thus no forgetting the plug at the pump. I would like to know, though, where the twigs and garbage come from (as someone stated) if you keep the fuel door close? In over a year, mine has always been clean.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:36 PM
I am a big fan of it.

How do you lose multiple gas caps?..... Fool me once shame on you, Fool me twice shame on me......

I'm with Smokewagun on this one, had a locking on my 99 when I went to college in the ghetto, full proof, no, but a deterrent.

Come to think of it I have never had an issue with any gas cap. But I am spoiled with this truck, I park it out my office window and at night she is locked up in the garage.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:43 PM
Anything with a seal like that is apt to leak at some point in time. It may be fine now (and it should be fine now) but what about 6, 8, 10 years down the road? A lot of you may not keep your trucks that long but someone is probably going to own it and it could be an issue.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by quackrstackr
Anything with a seal like that is apt to leak at some point in time. It may be fine now (and it should be fine now) but what about 6, 8, 10 years down the road? A lot of you may not keep your trucks that long but someone is probably going to own it and it could be an issue.
If you pour water (or other liquid) into the closed opening, (as without a locking fuel plug and no nozzle inserted) you will notice the water spills out under your truck through a bypass tube. Same thing happens if you overfill the tank. It backs up into the nozzle of the gas pump, and when you pull the nozzle out, it does not overflow at the fill opening, but under he ruck trough the bypass. This prevents anypne from pouring something into the filler neck.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by Smokewagun
If you pour water (or other liquid) into the closed opening, (as without a locking fuel plug and no nozzle inserted) you will notice the water spills out under your truck through a bypass tube. Same thing happens if you overfill the tank. It backs up into the nozzle of the gas pump, and when you pull the nozzle out, it does not overflow at the fill opening, but under he ruck trough the bypass. This prevents anypne from pouring something into the filler neck.
I am assuming that there is some sort of seal in their spring loaded bypass / closure system as well.

Whenever comp set happens or the material otherwise passes it's intended lifecycle.. you will have problems.

This seems like an overly complicated solution to a nonexistent problem.

I would love to see the DFMEA floating around Ford for this one.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:44 PM
That is with any thing over time. It breaks,leaks,rusts, what ever. you fix it like you would anything else. if it gets to be to much then its time for a new truck.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by beauff
That is with any thing over time. It breaks,leaks,rusts, what ever. you fix it like you would anything else. if it gets to be to much then its time for a new truck.
What do you use for an indicator of a leaky seal, a blown motor?

Old 02-21-2011, 05:06 PM
What do you use for an indicator of a leaky seal, a blown motor?
What?

Old 02-21-2011, 05:14 PM
How would you know that the seal in the filler neck is leaking until you have potentially run water through an engine?

As a maintenance item, I wonder how much it would cost to replace a filler neck vs. a $5 fill cap?

Old 02-21-2011, 05:54 PM
How would you know that the seal in the filler neck is leaking until you have potentially run water through an engine?

As a maintenance item, I wonder how much it would cost to replace a filler neck vs. a $5 fill cap?
There is a write-up somewhere on line that I read that explains the system. From what I read, this "leaky seal" issue won't happen. If it does, the water drains out the bypass. You'd have to read the explanantion. It sounds complicated, but actully ingenious. It's not as cut and dray as a flapper with a rubber seal as you kind of lead to. I'll look for the detailed explanation.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:34 PM
I am assuming that there is some sort of seal in their spring loaded bypass / closure system as well.

Whenever comp set happens or the material otherwise passes it's intended lifecycle.. you will have problems.

This seems like an overly complicated solution to a nonexistent problem.

I would love to see the DFMEA floating around Ford for this one.
I have had to replace bad gas caps, filler neck hoses, fuel pumps, floats and leaking gas tanks. So whats the big deal. In fact about 4 months ago I got a check engine light for a leaking gas cap on my work vehicle.

It's going to happen no matter what type of system you use.

I like this new system. If it goes bad, I'll replace it.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:23 PM
Wow. Sounds like you've had a run of bad luck.

After 24 years of owning and driving nothing but Ford trucks from 1972 models to my current 2005, I have yet to replace a single one of those items that you mentioned. Not one.

The common thread between all of them was that they didn't (don't) have some complicated flapper valve that answers a question that was never asked.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love the capless fuel door. Saves me tons of time at the gas station. And its so much easier to use than the old screw cap.

Actually - I do like it but maybe not THAT much.

Quick Reply: Capless fuel fill neck