2009 - 2014 F-150

Pulsation during driving - Major Frustration

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulsation during driving - Major Frustration

I bought my Platinum about a year ago. It's been at the dealer ship at least 10 times for the same issue. While driving, using either accelerator or cruise, the truck acts as though it has fouled plugs. This is an occasional action. It misses / hesitates / pulsates at normal highway speeds. The pulsating is more apparent when accelerating from stop or driving uphill.

The first action dealership took was to replace plugs and check wires. Test drive by tech noted issue was resolved. The truck went back the second time and they experienced the same problems but had no TSB on issue. I contacted Ford engineering to address issue. Ford sent local tech out of ATL to my dealership to record actions. He claimed that he had a couple Platinum in Southeast with same issue, declared it was a calibration issue likely due to Flex Fuel option. Since initial readings, Ford has sent two new versions on software for him to load on my truck. Each version improved performance but the truck still has same issue, except not as often. They asked me to be patient and the issue would be resolved.

Last reading was taken in Jan 10. I called to follow up for results and Ford's next action. Ford now claims that the issue resides in the electronic throttle and the interaction between my foot and pedal. I drive every vehicle the same way in every vehicle I've ever owned. Oh, and did I mention that I had a 2010 Base XLT before I bought my platinum and never had this problem? The local factory rep told me that the issue would not be resolved by Ford because there just aren't enough complaints for them to spend time on resolution.

Enough for my rant. Just a little frustrated with Ford's response and neglect to solve my issue.

If anybody has experienced the same issue, had the issue resolved or has the problem currently - please help. I plan to express my frustration with Ford, my next step is arbitration.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:39 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 02-18-2011, 02:01 PM
Gir
Sounds like Ford put the ball in your court to see what you will do next.

What is your state's lemon law. Perhaps a nice letter from a lawyer will get you some time spent on finding you a resolution. Don't let them cast you aside.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:26 AM
State Lemon Law is 1 year or if incident was reported within the 1 year it extends to 2 years. My 1 year is the end of Feb but have had in the shop several times withing the 1 year period. So I'm covered for a while.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:37 AM
I have a simular issue with my 05, but it happens at about 30-35 mph, I thought it was in the tranny, kinda like slipping, when it happens I hit the gas a little and it usually goes away, Ive been waiting for it to get worse before I take it in, I guess I should take it in before my warranty runs out (Aftermarket Warranty)!

Old 02-22-2011, 07:31 AM
Dan, I would. At least get it on record in the system. I don't plan on giving this up with Ford and will let everybody know what Ford does to fix it.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:50 AM
DAn- I had that issue with my 04and 07 at cruising speeds around 40 as you say. My programmer kinda fixed it but it never really went away unless I was high rpm range.

As for my 2010 lariat my 07 drove way better I find. The 10 feels sluggish from stops and shutters and is kinda jumpy. I put an exhaust on it but I might take it off due to the fact that when I'm driving if I want to get moving it sounds as if I'm flooring it all the time because the truck acts like it has to spool up high to move .Very agitating.I would like a fix

Old 02-22-2011, 09:29 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelBlue
DAn- I had that issue with my 04and 07 at cruising speeds around 40 as you say. My programmer kinda fixed it but it never really went away unless I was high rpm range.

As for my 2010 lariat my 07 drove way better I find. The 10 feels sluggish from stops and shutters and is kinda jumpy. I put an exhaust on it but I might take it off due to the fact that when I'm driving if I want to get moving it sounds as if I'm flooring it all the time because the truck acts like it has to spool up high to move .Very agitating.I would like a fix
A very large part of this is the stock PCM/TCM calibration.

As in previous model years, some calibrations were better than others - there have been thousands of calibrations, for F150's over the years).

Provided you don't have a mechanical issue, or sensor failure of some sort, custom tuning will help. Currently, only SCT has the ability to deliver custom calibrations for both the PCM and TCM.

For all you know, you have a calibration that is running stupid-lean, and/or not enriching. and/or not going open loop as commanded... as detailed here for example: https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...highlight=2009. Just a thought ...

No intake or exhaust mod will alleviate, or gain, anything.

May be worthwhile to check & see if a dealer reflash is available; you have a legitimate driveability concern here.

BTW - there's always the 2011 models - looks like Ford finally got religion on the tuning in those puppies

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 02-22-2011 at 01:21 PM. Reason: corrected data
Old 02-22-2011, 02:38 PM
I know exhaust ect won't help and i plan on making it im one day soon to see what flash they have. If not then sct here I come. Buying a new one is to rich for me.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:10 PM
Thanks Guys, Im gonna take it in next week with a list of things to fix and I will add this to it now!!

Quick Reply: Pulsation during driving - Major Frustration