EB Bumper Grill / Inter-cooler Protector

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 12:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EB Bumper Grill / Inter-cooler Protector

Searching for an Bumper Grill / Inter-cooler Protector found this:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...le-insert.html

2011 part is a Carriage Works 44383

Do you think this would cause too much airflow restriction to the inter-cooler?

Last edited by The Pathfinder; 02-19-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:45 AM
Pathfinder, I like that insert! Bummer part is for my state they require lic plate up front so it goes on the left side :-( I do not think it will slow down the air flow much due to the fact that it looks like the blades/lines are flat and the air will flow easier then if they were turned 90 degress and it will provide some protection for the rocks and other trash from the road. What is the insert made of? Cost factor? How thick is the insert? Thanks alot for the info. Bob - Iraq

Old 02-19-2011, 10:48 AM
I think it was made for people who don't have to have a front license plate...but since the EB has it off to the side (still getting used to that) it would work to cover up the unfinished look of the hole in the bumper and should offer protection for the intercooler. A google search shows the best price to be around $90.00. There was another tread going with someone stating that putting anything in front of the intercooler will void the engine warranty...but that is BS if the charge air is to warm the engine will just derate itself.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:05 AM
It will be interesting to see what the aftermarket does here.

I can see a bull bar/brushguard where the bars are lined up with the bumper edges (top/bottom)so it doesn't restrict airflow. Also have to lose the lower skid plate as it would block the air being scooped up by the lower air dams. I'd be interested as it would provide some protection for the various rads from a deer hit etc. BTU what I can't figure out is how they'd also mount a lic front plate.

The 07+ would run without coolant within reason by pumping air... The EB (or any turbo) won't.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:44 PM
I would be willing to bet it has very little effect on air flow and could protect the FMIC itself.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:56 PM
I am waiting for the first EB owner to take a rock hit in the intercooler and not have Ford warranty it. This happens a lot in Mitsubishi's and it isn't a warranty repair. Rock's and debris are not a manufacturer's defect.

I like the insert. I may have to purchase one for my 5.0 STX.

Last edited by Blue07STX; 02-20-2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by Blue07STX
I waiting for the first EB owner to take a rock hit in the intercooler and not have Ford warranty it. This happens a lot in Mitsubishi's and it isn't a warranty repair. Rock's and debris are not a manufacturer's defect.

I like the insert. I may have to purchase one for my 5.0 STX.
Aftermarkets are cheap..well on Audi's

I have the insert, much better than that huge gap.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by KazK
Aftermarkets are cheap..well on Audi's

I have the insert, much better than that huge gap.
Does it snap in to place? Just wondering if it mounts the same as the plate bracket.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:32 AM
I'm not so much looking for something to fill the hole as I am looking to remove the front license plate holder and replacing it with a matching "bread loaf". We aren't required to have the front plate, so does anybody know how to remove that thing and where one might acquire a replacement "normal" bumper insert? I've searched here and on the net and couldn't come up with anything.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Kaz, where did you pick it up? I ran my truck through a touchless car wash and for about 1.5 miles of driving afterward it looked like there was steam coming from the front. What I assumed to be coming from water getting up in that gap in the front?

I'm interested to know how it installs too.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:40 AM
If I bought a EcoBoost I would be interested in an insert if it matched the grilles exactly. I don't like the mismatched upper and lower grilles or the homemade jobs people have been using. In 04-05 there was a company that made these but I think they stopped making them when they changed the bumper in 06. They matched the OEM grille exactly.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by bluegreenf150
If I bought a EcoBoost I would be interested in an insert if it matched the grilles exactly. I don't like the mismatched upper and lower grilles or the homemade jobs people have been using. In 04-05 there was a company that made these but I think they stopped making them when they changed the bumper in 06. They matched the OEM grille exactly.
Carriage Works also makes a upper grill that matches their lower

Old 02-20-2011, 01:36 PM
I don't think it would impede airflow any more than the license plate would.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:59 PM
hmm, that truck/photo looks so familiar...

It comes with it's own brackets, installs in less than 5 minutes. I got it almost 2 years ago and cheapest at the time with a coupon code was www.streetsideauto.com.

bluegreenf150, 2 years ago and the same as today, there is no factory matching lower grille like that GAP insert they used to make. So what can you do, it's nice to have something there to fill that hole. A black grille looks the best in order to blend in with those black bumper guards (or breadloafs...first I heard that term for those).

Old 02-20-2011, 07:43 PM
I picked it up from a guy here in the Classifieds

Here is how it mounts.

Bracket to grille

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Bracket to truck

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by KazK; 02-20-2011 at 07:45 PM. Reason: no pics

Quick Reply: EB Bumper Grill / Inter-cooler Protector