2009 - 2014 F-150

EcoBoost without the front plate

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EcoBoost without the front plate

If you're in a state like me that does not use a front plate, this is what it will look like...

The bumper is just like any other F-150.

http://tinyurl.com/ecoboostnofrontplate

In the United States, 19 states – Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, and West Virginia – do not require an official front license plate, nor do the U.S. Virgin Islands or the territories of Guam and Puerto Rico.[5][6] In Nevada, front plates are optional if the vehicle was not designed for a front plate and the manufacturer did not provide an add-on bracket or other means of displaying the front plate.[7] In Canada, 9 of the 13 provinces and territories do not require an official front plate, including the Yukon, the Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Québec, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland and Labrador.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle...tes_and_Canada

Old 02-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Wow, now that's a real game changer. Guess why that's why these dealers are screwing them to the plastic bumper boxes on the front bumper. Guess I'll tell my dealer to give me the plate and I'll find the best way to attach it.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:52 PM
looks good.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:33 PM
Front tags are required in NYS, but I've never seen anyone get a ticket, etc, for not having one or for having some other vanity front tag. It's one of those it's only illegal if you're caught deals.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I am in a state that requires a front plate, but have to agree with a lot of folks it looks too odd for my taste to have the plate off to one side. If I went the EB route I would fab up a way to hold the plate centered under the IC opening and/or run it in the windshield. I currently have the front plate on my '05 flipped over in the front so that it does not block the lower grille and that was just a simple modification of the plate holder, however on the 09-11's there is less bumper to work with.. I am sure I can come up with something, or someone will long before me

Old 02-21-2011, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by FX4life
I am in a state that requires a front plate, but have to agree with a lot of folks it looks too odd for my taste to have the plate off to one side. If I went the EB route I would fab up a way to hold the plate centered under the IC opening and/or run it in the windshield. I currently have the front plate on my '05 flipped over in the front so that it does not block the lower grille and that was just a simple modification of the plate holder, however on the 09-11's there is less bumper to work with.. I am sure I can come up with something, or someone will long before me
yes, thats what I am doing. Gonna see if my friend can build me a CNC billet license plate adapter.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I live in Arkansas a state that does not require a front tag. However, every truck I have bought and seen on dealer lots has the front plate mount. It is included as a no charge option in the event you move or sell the truck. It is good to know there is a kit available from Ford to remove the mounting provisions.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:59 AM
I have found the part online but the diagrams all show it on the passenger side with the license plate holder on the driver side. I'm not sure if the part is interchangeable between the sides or not. It might be just a matter of flipping it around. The price online was around $20 bucks.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The two sides look symmetrical in the pictures. Can you do a quick check to see if the contour around the bumper is the same on both sides? I am thinking the passenger side could be put on the driver side if turned around. If the part is only $20 I might swap it out when my EB comes in.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by Wookie
I live in Arkansas a state that does not require a front tag. However, every truck I have bought and seen on dealer lots has the front plate mount. It is included as a no charge option in the event you move or sell the truck. It is good to know there is a kit available from Ford to remove the mounting provisions.
You may be able to opt out of that.

For instance, this truck is in Pennsylvania where no front license plates are used and no front license plate bracket is on the window sticker.
http://www.inventory.ford.com/servic...61&modelid=220

If you are seeing front plate brackets on every truck even though the state does not require front plates, the dealer may have specifically ordered it that way since it was "no charge." I know on Edmund's build and price there is a box to check if you want the front license plate bracket.

Last edited by shootin4themoon; 02-21-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:37 PM
It may be on the Dealer's PDI ( Pre Delivery Inspection) checklist. It is a requirement of Ford to install, if so. A PDI must be accomplished in order to warranty the vehicle.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Now here is a state that requires front plates. The bracket is on the window sticker and on the truck.
http://apps.dealerconnection.com/dea...82&modelId=192

https://www.woodhouse.com/results.ht...Closed.T112023

Now here is a state that does not require front plates. The bracket is not on the window sticker and not on the truck.

http://www.inventory.ford.com/servic...61&modelid=220

This makes me believe if you at least live in a state that doesn't require front plates you can order it without it.

Last edited by shootin4themoon; 02-21-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:19 PM
When I get one, I'm going to screw it to the top of the grille and use the plate as a mini bug guard. What do you all think?

Old 02-21-2011, 02:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Smokewagun
When I get one, I'm going to screw it to the top of the grille and use the plate as a mini bug guard. What do you all think?
That'd look sweet!

Can you chrome your plate up real good first though?

Old 02-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Smokewagun
I'd go for mounting it just above the windshield like an overseas taxi...

Quick Reply: EcoBoost without the front plate