2009 - 2014 F-150

Any problems with 35s?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
superior sells the R&P's and master overhaul kits, it'd be best to call them for pricing and shipping estimates.

lube locker gaskets you can get from Lube Locker themselves or a parts supply place like Poly Performance, summit, maybe Jegs. RTV you can buy at any auto supply store if you chose to use that instead of a lube locker gasket..

and there is no physical need for a aftermarket diff cover. the only thing you'd gain with a mag-hytec is bling and 2 extra quart capacity. its just a waste of money.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by marshal
superior sells the R&P's and master overhaul kits, it'd be best to call them for pricing and shipping estimates.

lube locker gaskets you can get from Lube Locker themselves or a parts supply place like Poly Performance, summit, maybe Jegs. RTV you can buy at any auto supply store if you chose to use that instead of a lube locker gasket..

and there is no physical need for a aftermarket diff cover. the only thing you'd gain with a mag-hytec is bling and 2 extra quart capacity. its just a waste of money.
Sweet! Thanks for the help.. I think i'll go with 4.56's once I pull the trigger.. Do you think they will limit my top speed on the highway since I have a 6 speed? I assume I'll still be able to hit 85-90 right?

Old 02-24-2011, 08:58 PM
Hey Blackout how are you turn signal lights that you nite-shaded holding up? I did mine and they seem to be fine so far. I remember someone saying that they may burn off and to watch them closely.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by pwheels
Hey Blackout how are you turn signal lights that you nite-shaded holding up? I did mine and they seem to be fine so far. I remember someone saying that they may burn off and to watch them closely.
I clear coated them so they should hold up for a year or so.. I did my tail lights on my old truck the same way and the tint seemed to lighten up about 1 year after I painted them, So I lightly sanded them and NightShaded + clear coatd them again.. No biggie.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:34 PM
I really think with the 6 speed you guys will be fine with larger tires as far as acceleration goes.
It will affect your tow rating, but your first gear in that 6 speed is super low. So low, that with my 4 speed tranny, I'd have to go with a 5.96 just to match your first gear ratio with equivalent tire sizes.

Since you have 2 OD ratios up top too (5&6) I don't see any issues there either.

3.73 with a 6 speed is a good position to be in from the factory.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:43 PM
to hllon's point, having 4.56's would make 1st gear the same stump pulling ratio as a diesel pickup, but yes - you would have no problem hitting 85-90. you'd have no problem going all the way up to the trucks electronically governed speed limiter of 97mph at that (im still trying to figure out if that can be disabled)

the one thing that could be of concern though with our 5.4's is the torque curve. 4.56's are going to set up a higher RPM level which is RIGHT at the end of the stronger section of the torque curve at cruising speed. 4.56's would work VERY well for a 4.6. my choice in 4.56's is also by the fact that i plan on installing FRPP cams

im going with 4.56's and am confident in my choice, but you should consider how you want your truck to perform and what you're planning on doing with it.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:20 PM
trucks electronically governed speed limiter of 97mph at that (im still trying to figure out if that can be disabled)
Any canned tuner can eliminate the top speed limiter, engine rev limiter and can assist you in calibrating the spedo.

I have an SCT and it can and has done 2 of the 3 for me.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:20 PM
i'm planning on buying a 2011 f150 5.0 lariat this month. I had planned to put 2" leveling kit along with 285/65/20 on the stock 20's. i have found many unhappy posts from 09-10 f150's that have trouble with tcs, some say it is fixed now? Is there a problem with this on the 11? any help would be greatly appreciated, i'm not sure i still want the 11' if i can't run a bigger tire.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:36 PM
@scapes, if i remember correctly the issue with the TCS is supposed to have been taken care of by an update to the vehicle module

Old 02-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I guess not having to take off the cover for every oil change is not a plus, neither is a magnetic drain plug, dipstick and large filler hole, built in gasket... Waste of money? Certainly not when you do regular meticulous maintenance like I do..

Last edited by FX4life; 02-27-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:22 PM
it sounds like one to me for my once every 40,000 mile gear oil change when a tube of RTV costs a $1.50 and a mag-hytec costs $350. id rather buy a solid iron Dynatrac cover that can withstand a gunshot from point blank.

If you're as meticulous as you claim to be then you well know that it's generally a good idea during your regular maintenance intervals on your differential to inspect the teeth of the gears as well as the tollerances of the carrier bearings considering its a semi-float axle. Something that is impossible to do without removing the cover. Plus if I was hypothetically running nearly 40" tires on nearly a foot of lift, I'd well know the strain being placed upon a "small" 9.75" Dana 60 equivelents ring and pinion gears and would want to check for consistent and proper gear meshing and to make sure I wasn't burning the teeth. That kinda rules out the whole drain plug, built in gasket thing doesn't it? I think it would anyway.

i think you like to argue with me

Last edited by marshal; 02-27-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:37 AM
subscribe

Quick Reply: Any problems with 35s?