2009 - 2014 F-150

Green drips in snow under 2010

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Green drips in snow under 2010

Under the truck, near front of drivers floor area there was neon green drips in the snow under my truck. First thought was coolant but the coolant isnt green. I cant figure it out. Been sitting in the same spot last night till noon today. What would that be? My first thought would be coolant but that far back? Anyone else have similar issue that may have input? My entire truck is dripping wet underneath from the weather so it was impossible to see where or what it might have been.

My 30k 2010 with 4,500 miles leaks, yet my brothers 2000 civic with 200,000 miles leaks nothing.. WTF!

Last edited by Maxout05; 02-25-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just rusty coloured water dripping down?

What does it smell like?

What does it feel like?

Did you have it undercoated?

Put her in the garage, dry it off for a day and then crawl under with a good light and see if you can figure it out.

Let us know how you make out, good luck

Old 02-25-2011, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by cheef
Just rusty coloured water dripping down?

What does it smell like?

What does it feel like?

Did you have it undercoated?

Put her in the garage, dry it off for a day and then crawl under with a good light and see if you can figure it out.

Let us know how you make out, good luck

Dont have a garage and we are in the middle of a huge snow storm. Smells like carb cleaner sort of, cant tell the feel its in the snow, its bright neon green. No undercoating, no rust.

posted this on another ford site freon from a/c unit seems to be what people are thinking.. my defroster has been on since its the middle of winter, maybe came from that?

Old 02-25-2011, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by Maxout05
freon from a/c unit seems to be what people are thinking.. my defroster has been on since its the middle of winter, maybe came from that?

I was just about to mention that. That's what I'm betting it is.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Duh your truck has a cold and a symptom of a runny nose!

Noobs!

I kid! I have no idea sorry!

Old 02-25-2011, 04:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know its still a little early, being that its still February, but have you checked to see if you ran over a leprechaun? They're worse than skunks when you hit em.

(sorry, i just could not resist)

Old 02-25-2011, 05:01 PM
This is very common. Its liquid from your exhaust system. It a chemical reaction with the stainless steel, exhaust fumes, etc. Its always yellow but you notice it when it hits the white snow. This happens on all vehicles, my 150, my wife Explorer...

Old 02-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by zski128
This is very common. Its liquid from your exhaust system. It a chemical reaction with the stainless steel, exhaust fumes, etc. Its always yellow but you notice it when it hits the white snow. This happens on all vehicles, my 150, my wife Explorer...
Ive seen what your talking about before and this is definitely not that. Its bright green and definitely leaking from somewhere by the firewall.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:47 PM
Ive seen what your talking about before and this is definitely not that. Its bright green and definitely leaking from somewhere by the firewall.
Not saying its that definitely but 99% of the time I bet its the case:

"95 per cent of the exhaust systems built today are made up of iron alloy and galvanized steel. Exhaust pipes are made of either iron or stainless steel. Heat shields are made of galvanized steel. Galvanized steel uses zinc as a rust inhibitor.

Zinc, when hot and in the presence of iron and a catalyst, creates yellow zinc oxide in the form of crystals. The connection is the catalyst – salt water – or compacted snow with road salt mixed in. If the snow is able to touch the exhaust heat shields and the exhaust pipes at the same time, the chemical reaction between the two dissimilar metals creates the bright yellow crystals."

My new 2010 does it, my old 2001 f150 did it. My wife's explorer does it. My friends CR-V does it. My dads Lexus does it.

Check the fluid levels but there are no neon green/yellow fluids in the new F150 I am aware of. Bring it to the dealer if you think you have a leak just to be on the safe side. Good luck, hope its nothing serious.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:50 PM
Not saying its that definitely but 99% of the time I bet its the case:

"95 per cent of the exhaust systems built today are made up of iron alloy and galvanized steel. Exhaust pipes are made of either iron or stainless steel. Heat shields are made of galvanized steel. Galvanized steel uses zinc as a rust inhibitor.

Zinc, when hot and in the presence of iron and a catalyst, creates yellow zinc oxide in the form of crystals. The connection is the catalyst – salt water – or compacted snow with road salt mixed in. If the snow is able to touch the exhaust heat shields and the exhaust pipes at the same time, the chemical reaction between the two dissimilar metals creates the bright yellow crystals."

My new 2010 does it, my old 2001 f150 did it. My wife's explorer does it. My friends CR-V does it. My dads Lexus does it.

Check the fluid levels but there are no neon green/yellow fluids in the new F150 I am aware of. Bring it to the dealer if you think you have a leak just to be on the safe side. Good luck, hope its nothing serious.
The color is not yellow at all, it is bright neon green. The a/c fluid is bright neon green i just confirmed with ford tech and its the only fluid this color, and its in a closed system. Tech think since its middle of winter and my defroster is always on so is a/c and there is a leak somewhere which means soon i will lose all a/c as the system will not be able to pump properly.
Two different people have given me a procedure to try so as soon as snow storm stops im going out to try and see if this is the case.

gotta love finding a leak on a brand new truck with under 5,000 miles..

Old 02-25-2011, 05:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey, keep your chin up. Little things like that happen on any year truck. Mine was leaking transmission fluid soon after I got it, was a pinched seal. They repaired it and it's been fine since, 98,000 miles later.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth
Hey, keep your chin up. Little things like that happen on any year truck. Mine was leaking transmission fluid soon after I got it, was a pinched seal. They repaired it and it's been fine since, 98,000 miles later.
yea i completely hear ya there and i have total confidence in my truck to last a long time. It just feels like everything new i own gives me more headaches then the stuff they replaced. Of course theres the warranty on new things, but who ever wants to spend their time going back and forth to the dealer, lol!
Hopefully its minor and ill get it figured out soon.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:05 PM
The a/c fluid is bright neon green i just confirmed with ford tech and its the only fluid this color
Good to know, I heard the AC fluid was a different color.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:36 PM
I have experienced this as well and thought that it was a deer that had taken a leak on my driveway. Thanks for posting this as it now solves the mystery.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:58 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
Good to know, I heard the AC fluid was a different color.
the PAG oil is clear by its nature, but typically has a neon/UV dye in it to help trace pin hole leaks

here is what the dye looks like with a leak under UV light

Quick Reply: Green drips in snow under 2010