2009 - 2014 F-150

Warning to new owners!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 05:50 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You should be checking the oil on a "New Engine", that is breaking in on a bi-weekly basis! That is "Your Bad", not Ford's!!!

Old 02-26-2011, 07:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
You should be checking the oil on a "New Engine", that is breaking in on a bi-weekly basis! That is "Your Bad", not Ford's!!!
how about on ANY engine not just new. should be a common sense issue in order to monitor your engine to keep an eye out for any issues.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:03 AM
not that this compares to a truck, but i bought a new honda 700xx last year and i checked the oil, and there was so much when i unscrewed the cap some came out, so i check all my new stuff very freqently.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
X1
I always check over my new vehicle the next morning after I get it home.
I check everything. You have to remember that most dealers use min. wage people to "prep" their vehicles. You get what you pay for.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by Mo Power
I just looked at my oil level and it is right in the middle. Ford could have made it a little easier to get at the dipstick...I'm 6'1'' and I needed a chair to stand on to reach it!
I'm 6'2" and stand in front of the bumper and lean over the radiator to check mine. It work's for me. I don't have to worry about scratching the fender paint.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by TUX150
X1
I always check over my new vehicle the next morning after I get it home.
I check everything. You have to remember that most dealers use min. wage people to "prep" their vehicles. You get what you pay for.
Unless thing's have changed in the last three years, a Certified Technician must perform the PDI (Pre-delivery Inspection). No PDI = no vehicle warranty.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by papajohn
how about on ANY engine not just new. should be a common sense issue in order to monitor your engine to keep an eye out for any issues.
you sir are right but my question is who decides whats common sense is now days? is there some sort of check list or guide lines?

now take the average idiot out there and remember HALF of the others out there are dumber than him!

Old 02-26-2011, 01:36 PM
Was the engine hot or cold when checked?

Old 02-27-2011, 07:18 PM
As soon as I got my 2010 home, I let it sit overnight. I then checked all fluid levels and tire PSI. Only thing I found wrong was all 4 tires were at like 24psi. I waited until 1,500 miles and I changed the oil to Full Synthetic Valvoline 5w30, which is what the truck will get at every oil change now.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:08 PM
glc
Received 775 Likes on 715 Posts
5w20 is the recommended oil grade and it can be somewhat critical with engines that have cam phasers.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by blueovelboy
same thing with my lug nuts! over half where only finger tight and the tires where all a little over psi by 10 to 30 psi and i had no spare. so i just decided to check it every time it comes home from the dealer!
You would be surprised how tight some of the lug nuts on a brand new car or truck can be.

that is the first thing I do is retorque all the lug nuts on a brand new vehicle.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
I've had well over a dozen new police cars over the years, and a few reissues. Burning a quart of oil in the first few thousand is not at all uncommon. I learned to check oil every several hundred miles at least. Younever know when you have a new vehicle that you didn't get the one with a broken valve cover gasket or oil filter gasket was left off or other assembly line F-Up .... my last police car made it home from the garage 130 miles and was pooring rear lube from the right rear axle seal.

You never "assume" it's all done, you check.

Relying on others can be expen$$$$ive.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:04 PM
I am a reservist currently deployed, but in the states I work in the parts dept. at a Ford dealer in Missouri, I strongly DISCOURAGE the use of anything other than the factory recommended oil grade, with how tight engine tolerances are becoming and also the compound/grade of material of engine parts, there is a recommended weight of oil for a reason, and I don't say this out of being a ford employee, but motorcraft oil works just as good as the "Super Duper High Mileage, with integrated nano engine gunk scrubbers with "automatic gunk lock-on capabilites" LOL. But, FWIW, to truly see if one brand of oil is better than the other is get oil sample tests done. Because when it all boils down to it, what's written on every bottle of oil, yes including motorcraft, is an advertising sell point to convince the consumer their product is "better than oem and better than all of their competitors." My dealer is more a medium size "Mom & Pop" kind of place where we are always trying to get our customers the best deal. Most of the time when I customer says he can something cheaper else where we try to ask what that price is and either match it or beat it, because ultimately "the cheaper place" is more than ten miles away and they don't realize that they are spending the difference in fuel and time just to try and get a "Better deal", even if you price something at your local dealer, and have a legitimate price from another dealer that may be better but is a bit of a drive, ask your dealer if they would be willing to match or beat their competitor's price. We do it alot, and have a lot of satisfied customers who return time after time for their vehicle needs. I know, kinda went out to left field.......

Old 02-28-2011, 03:22 PM
rok
Im 5'11" and dont have a problem reaching the dipstick but i have a 4.6 3V maybe the 5.4 is different. Not sure what yal have

Old 02-28-2011, 06:29 PM
Yea i stay up on checking my oil/fluid levels. When i bought the truck, i didn't notice for a couple weeks that it was low on oil. Then i added a whole quart. It was where it needed to be. Thought it might have been burning oil, it wasn't, the level stayed good. I had bought my F150 at a Chevrolet dealer and had gotten a "complimentry" oil change with my purchase(Yippy!). They Changed it, i didn't check it bc it was just changed, they said everything looked good, and i didn't really think about it cause it obviously wasn't burning oil. 2nd oil change, did it myself cause i only got one free oil change. I checked it, it was low, i drained it. They had only been putting 5qts of oil in my truck both times! Not that it hurt it any but from then on, i just keep a check on my fluids now. Look for leaks pretty regularly too. I figured it was bc (GM)they had just taken the bailout not long before and they "supposedly" had to pay that back. Trying to save a little money anyway they could. Gm tries to screw you just about anyway there is.

Just thought it was a good story, thread reminded me of it.

Quick Reply: Warning to new owners!!!!