2009 - 2014 F-150

Crashed into a snowbank today... Headlight question

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crashed into a snowbank today... Headlight question

With our wintery New England weather today it turned the route 28 bypass in Hooksett NH into an ice skating rink. I slipped off the road into a nice big icey snowbank. Truck didn't fair too badly, a little tweaked bumper mount and a broken reflector in my right headlight. All in all I got off easy... The bumper took about 30 minutes to straighten out, the headlight, well...

Leads me to this: Do I buy a stock replacement headlight, or do I go with a new pair of aftermarket? I would like to buy a nice set of Projector headlights that are actually made for HID lighting. I would love to have HID lighting in my truck but, I refuse to just throw a set of bulbs and ballasts at it and ride around town blinding owls and treetops.

Anyone have any experience with this? Can you recommend something? I would prefer something with a slightly smoked lens and a black background. Do any of them come with the HID kit? I REALLY don't want to waste my money on some crap that is just designed to look cool.

Thanks!

Old 02-26-2011, 03:56 AM
Sure was slick here in NH yesterday. I would stay with OEM, but if you do go aftermarket, just make sure you seal the assemblies up. I've read so many threads here about folks saying that water is getting in with their aftermarket housings. Heck, if your lamp assembly is still functional (legal) shop ebay for a OEM replacement. Just make sure the auction doesn't list it as OE Style, that's aftermarket stuff.

Springs a comin!!! Too much snow up here in the Sunapee area.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by svt2205
Sure was slick here in NH yesterday. I would stay with OEM, but if you do go aftermarket, just make sure you seal the assemblies up. I've read so many threads here about folks saying that water is getting in with their aftermarket housings. Heck, if your lamp assembly is still functional (legal) shop ebay for a OEM replacement. Just make sure the auction doesn't list it as OE Style, that's aftermarket stuff.

Springs a comin!!! Too much snow up here in the Sunapee area.
Yeah its just the reflector broken inside.

Worst part about it is, I broke my snowmobile yesterday and was only driving because I needed to go get parts! So my broken sled led to a broken truck

Old 02-26-2011, 11:58 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Recon Projectors look nice.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:44 PM
Yes winters like this make me glad to have an 11 y/o truck, at least your damage does not sound too bad compared to some others I saw on Friday.

Sounds like a good time to upgrade to some Harley lights? If not there are plenty of OEM ones on ebay and classifieds here from people who have changed them out. I'm not a fan of HIDs but that's just one opinion.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by BillP603
Yes winters like this make me glad to have an 11 y/o truck, at least your damage does not sound too bad compared to some others I saw on Friday.

Sounds like a good time to upgrade to some Harley lights? If not there are plenty of OEM ones on ebay and classifieds here from people who have changed them out. I'm not a fan of HIDs but that's just one opinion.
What's different about harley ones?

Best choice would probably be for me to just keep the dough. You really can't even tell anything is broke unless you look REALLY close.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:47 PM
The "harley" ones are actually on a bunch of 11 models FX2/FX4 & Limited, they have a blacked out trim look for lack of better words. Better to see in pictures:

http://www.fordoflondonderry.com/det...w-6563557.html

Quick Reply: Crashed into a snowbank today... Headlight question