2009 - 2014 F-150

Remote start

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote start

On a 2011 F150, at what model level can you get a factory installed remote start? Doesn't give me that option with the online build and price for an XLT. Possibly a dealer installed option?

Old 02-27-2011, 12:33 PM
I'm pretty sure they come standard on Lariat and up. Otherwise it's a dealer install.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:55 PM
The only thing I will say is that from what I have heard and seen while I was at the dealer, the OEM auto start is not very good. I went in to ask about them from my local ford parts counter and walked away not really wanting one. When the guy being paid to sell you Ford parts flat tells you to buy an aftermarket autostart, you tend to take that seriously.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:19 PM
That's weird. I have a dealer installed one in my 08 lariat and it's been great. The range on it is awesome, I've never tested it but I've been at least 600 feet away and started the truck no problem. Also has on/off for heated seats. What else could you want?

Old 02-27-2011, 02:33 PM
Well, for instance I have the Astrostart RSS-5225 in both my f150 and my girlfriends fusion. It has a range up to a mile, a remote with a display showing if the vehicle is locked or running, the ability to start the vehicle from anywhere with my smartphone, a key fob which works with both of our vehicles-so I only have to carry one instead of 2. The autostart on my old silverado(OEM) was also not impressive, so its not like this is just a ford thing. OEM manufacturer autostarts are nowhere near what aftermarket manufacturers provide right now.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:15 PM
Like I said what else could you want? What's the advantage of starting your car with your phone? I like the integration I guess. Plus I really don't want a remote start you have to charge?? 30 day battery life? No thanks.

I'd prefer thisand not have to worry about charging it and a bunch of functions I'll never ever use. I guess I'm more of a minimalist but I get the idea the factory auto starts are very basic compared to aftermarket but that goes for pretty much everything doesn't it?

Last edited by spunkymonky; 02-27-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Its all a matter of personal preference. For what I use it for, it is better to have the aftermarket autostart. It is nice to be walking through lowes and be able to start my truck from the back of the store so it can be warm when I leave. And the phone feature is more useful than you think, as it has no range. You and your vehicle just have to be in range of a cell tower and you can start your vehicle. This is nice for the campus here, as all of the parking is located quite a distance away from the buildings. I have no doubt your autostart works for your situation, I am simply giving another point of view on the subject. Either way, you cant go wrong being able to go out to your truck and have it be toasty warm for you in the middle of winter. I think that is something everyone can agree on......

Old 02-27-2011, 05:08 PM
I have a 2010 and would love to put the factory remote start on it and purchase a 2011 key/fob combo...but the dealer claims it won't integrate with that 2011 key fob. I would like the all in one (key and fob together) setup without a key plus fob or two fobs.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:42 PM
I am a reservist currently deployed to iraq, but back home I am a parts guy at a Ford dealer in MO. The keyfob pictured above is not a remote start keyfob, so far the only vehicle that comes with it built into the key from the factory are the new 2011 SDs, that I have seen before I deployed. The ford factory remote start is actually a pretty good unit and we do several installs on vehicles that come of the truck because most of the time it is a dealer installed item. I know of a couple dealers who will "discourage" the customer from getting the factory remote start because the tech who is responsible for those installs probably doesn't like to do them, the guy we have who installs them it usually takes him the better part of the day to do it, and we rarely have any issues with the ford unit.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:31 PM
I have a factory one on my '11 F150 and it's not bad. Range isn't very good, either you have to be close or have a good line of sight if you're at somewhat of a distance. It's a crap shoot if you can't see or hear your truck as there's no conformation on the key fob. Imo if you have to install one, don't get a ford factory one.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:56 PM
Originally Posted by Gerrard155
Well, for instance I have the Astrostart RSS-5225 in both my f150 and my girlfriends fusion. It has a range up to a mile, a remote with a display showing if the vehicle is locked or running, the ability to start the vehicle from anywhere with my smartphone, a key fob which works with both of our vehicles-so I only have to carry one instead of 2. The autostart on my old silverado(OEM) was also not impressive, so its not like this is just a ford thing. OEM manufacturer autostarts are nowhere near what aftermarket manufacturers provide right now.
Maybe I'm not looking at the BIG picture but can you tell me why you would want to start your vehicle from a mile away?

Old 02-28-2011, 01:57 AM
Originally Posted by artinsocal
Maybe I'm not looking at the BIG picture but can you tell me why you would want to start your vehicle from a mile away?
The mile is the optimal range. As it gets colder, the range shrinks for all remote starts. And in Fairbanks, everything is spread out and parking isnt always optimal. And the OEM remote start has a range of 1000' in optimal conditions. At -40F, the range of an auto start is reduced by 50-60%. At The range on the aftermarket remote start gets used more than you think.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:18 AM
Originally Posted by artinsocal
How about 25 miles away?

I'm a Sheriff Deputy and I live out of the county so I have to drive my truck to work to pick up my patrol car. We are assigned areas and if I'm working the east side of the county, it would be nice to start the truck and have the truck warm and defrosted by the time I get back to it. Avoiding the 15 min warm up time and adding it to my 45min drive home.

I've been looking at the Viper remote start that I can use with my Droid X for awhile, just haven't convinced myself to pull the trigger.

Not sure if that's exactly what you're getting at but that's my situation.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:23 AM
Originally Posted by 96grimreaper
How about 25 miles away?

I'm a Sheriff Deputy and I live out of the county so I have to drive my truck to work to pick up my patrol car. We are assigned areas and if I'm working the east side of the county, it would be nice to start the truck and have the truck warm and defrosted by the time I get back to it. Avoiding the 15 min warm up time and adding it to my 45min drive home.

I've been looking at the Viper remote start that I can use with my Droid X for awhile, just haven't convinced myself to pull the trigger.

Not sure if that's exactly what you're getting at but that's my situation.
does the truck stay locked when you start it,,I would be worried about someone stealing it,,

Last edited by philly164; 02-28-2011 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:59 AM
On my current '04 XLT, I have the Viper 59XX 2 way remote. Remote start is independant from the door locks. If your doors are locked, then they remain locked when remote starting. If unlocked, they stay unlocked. Here's the safety part. If you do not insert the key and turn to "ON", as soon as you step on the brake to shift out of PARK, the engine will shut off. In that case, you just start the engine the normal way. I'm not sure if the Ford OEM remote works this way.

Quick Reply: Remote start