2009 - 2014 F-150

Had my 2011 5.0 FX4 for about a month, a few observations.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 04:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had my 2011 5.0 FX4 for about a month, a few observations.....

So, as the title suggests, I have had my 2011 FX4 5.0 for about a month now and I figured I would share a few observations with the members of the forum. So, here goes-

The Good-
-The powertrain is excellent. The combo of the 5.0 and the 6 speed tranny is smooth and has great power delivery.
-The sound of the motor. It is absolutely docile until you get into the throttle, then it snarls. Love it.
-Sync. I love it, just a nice convenience for driving about.
-Cab space. It is cavernous inside the cab as compared to my old silverado crew.
-Looks. Both inside and out, has to be the best looking truck on the market.
-The LCD productivity screen. I have really enjoyed this feature, has been very useful so far. Will be even more so as I begin to tow with the truck this summer.
-The 36 gallon tank is great. I love the additional range it provides.

The Bad-
-The stock stereo is utter garbage. I have never had a vehicle that had a oem stereo quite as bad as this one. I do not have the sony stereo, so I cant speak to the quality of that unit, but the standard unit is completely unimpressive
-The stock pirellis do not do well on snow/ice. I will have to wait until summer to pass a complete judgement on them, but they definitely are not very well suited for cold climate use.

The Random-
-Drivers side mirror includes a blind spot mirror, but the passenger side does not. I would assume this is because of cost cutting, but I would like to have seen it on both sides.
-Wheel weights being mounted on the inside of the wheels as compared to the outside. I have never seen this done before, not sure if it will result in some problems down the road.
-The turn signal. It is strange having the stalk not remain in place when you go to signal. It has taken some getting used to.

Overall I have been very happy with the new truck and I have no regrets as to what I have purchased. Hopefully this can provide some insight to someone who might be considering a 2011!

Old 02-27-2011, 07:03 PM
I will be ordering my screw fx4 5.0this week. I am still undecided on the 20" tires.I like the rims on the 20's but I like the way the goodyear tread is on the LT/275/65. I had the goodyears on my 05 fx4 and never had any issues. Being from western NY we tend to get alot of the ice and snow.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

The more I read about the mirror only being on the drivers side, the more irritating it sounds. On another note, the weights being on the backside of the rim is not a big deal at all. Its how nearly all aftermarket wheels are, I think it looks better this way

Old 02-27-2011, 07:44 PM
I almost have 1k miles on mine, and so far no major problems, with the exception of SYNC not liking my Kingston 4GB or 32GB USB flash drives.

Regarding the blind-spot mirror on the drivers side, but not on the passengers side -- today I paid $20 for a subscription to MotorCraft service to look up some info on the F150, and below is Ford's reason for not having it on the passengers side (their caps-lock key is broken):

21636 BLIND SPOT MIRROR EQUIPMENT INFORMATION
2011 F-150 VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH BLIND SPOT MIRROR CONFIGURATION WILL HAVE A CONVEX SPOTTER MIRROR BUILT INTO THE UPPER OUTBOARD CORNER OF THE DRIVER SIDE MIRROR. THE CONVEX SPOTTER MIRROR WAS NOT EQUIPPED ON THE PASSENGER SIDE MIRROR ASSEMBLY AS IT DOES NOT INCREASE THAT MIRRORS FIELD OF VIEW. THIS INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE IN THE OWNER'S GUIDE DRIVING SECTION UNDER THE HEADING "BLIND SPOT MIRRORS (IF EQUIPPED)". DO NOT ATTEMPT REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT OF MIRROR ASSEMBLIES FOR THIS NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 12/10/2010

Old 02-27-2011, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by jmmec
Regarding the blind-spot mirror on the drivers side, but not on the passengers side -- today I paid $20 for a subscription to MotorCraft service to look up some info on the F150, and below is Ford's reason for not having it on the passengers side (their caps-lock key is broken):

21636 BLIND SPOT MIRROR EQUIPMENT INFORMATION
2011 F-150 VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH BLIND SPOT MIRROR CONFIGURATION WILL HAVE A CONVEX SPOTTER MIRROR BUILT INTO THE UPPER OUTBOARD CORNER OF THE DRIVER SIDE MIRROR. THE CONVEX SPOTTER MIRROR WAS NOT EQUIPPED ON THE PASSENGER SIDE MIRROR ASSEMBLY AS IT DOES NOT INCREASE THAT MIRRORS FIELD OF VIEW. THIS INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE IN THE OWNER'S GUIDE DRIVING SECTION UNDER THE HEADING "BLIND SPOT MIRRORS (IF EQUIPPED)". DO NOT ATTEMPT REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT OF MIRROR ASSEMBLIES FOR THIS NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 12/10/2010
Complete garbage... I want to see my tires, wheel well and bumper when I back up. I can see it now but prefer a BSSM for backing up, especially when towing.

Ford went the cheap route on the pass side mirror and on the stereo. I will eventually upgrade.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:47 PM
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
The biggest blind spot is caused by the rear seat headrest's in the Screw. Can't see through the back window!

Old 02-27-2011, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by PawPaw
The biggest blind spot is caused by the rear seat headrest's in the Screw. Can't see through the back window!
Yeah, those headrests are bad. Particularly the middle one. I took it out 10 minutes after I bought the truck, put it in storage, and will probably not move it until I go to sell the truck years from now.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:13 PM
DHD613----- DO NOT GET THE 20" WITH THE PIRELLI'S!!!!!!!!!! They are junk. If you do get the 20" wheels insist as part of the deal that they switch the pirelli's out for anything else. I had nothing but trouble with mine on my FX. Dealership and Corporate ended up getting involved and that was the ultimate solution. Had them road force balanced 4 times in 3000 miles.

Quick Reply: Had my 2011 5.0 FX4 for about a month, a few observations.....