2009 - 2014 F-150

2011 F-150 Icon Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 02:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 F-150 Icon Coilovers?

I ordered my 2011 yesterday, and I'm looking to throw a set of coilovers on the front right off the bat to clear a set of 33's.

I see Icon has coilovers listed on their website for 2009-current 4wd F150's...I'm assuming nothing has changed on the 2011's that wouldn't allow these to work? Anybody running a set of these on an 09-11 4x4?

Are there any issues with running these? And they are direct bolt-on, no other modifications needed...right?

I want to run a set of these over coil spacers because I like to play around on the dunes a bit, and I would like the added travel and ride quality...plus the ability to clear 33" tires like I mentioned.

almost forgot, any good websites to order these from?

Last edited by Langford; 03-04-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:28 PM
You dont need coilovers to fit 33s. They fit stock (see below).....Unless you just want to spend the money.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:35 PM
I'm trying to stay away from any tire scrub while offroading too...I won't be jumping or doing anything crazy, but there are some whoops and rutted out sections on the way out to the strip on the dunes where I spend most of my time racing my quad.

The wheels I want are 20x9 with 4.5" backspacing, and I was thinking about 33x12.5 Nitto Trail Grapplers or Toyo MT's...I can't imagine those fitting without rubbing anywhere on stock suspension. The Coilovers are adjustable from 1-3" lift, so I would like to keep it as low as possible without any rubbing anywhere.

Last edited by Langford; 03-04-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Not one person is running these on an 09+ F150 4x4?

I sent an email to Icon this morning asking some questions, and I'm awaiting a response. But I would love to hear from somebody who actually has a set of these so I'm not getting a sales pitch along with some info like I'm expecting from the company.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Langford
Not one person is running these on an 09+ F150 4x4?

I sent an email to Icon this morning asking some questions, and I'm awaiting a response. But I would love to hear from somebody who actually has a set of these so I'm not getting a sales pitch along with some info like I'm expecting from the company.
Blackedout FX4 is...
https://www.f150online.com/forums/2009-2011-f-150-105/

Old 03-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by Fordfanatic101
Yeah, his truck is a 2wd though...the coilovers are different. But from the looks of it, he is the only person here running a set on a new F150 period. Oh well, I'm going to order a set as soon as I hear back from Icon.

I was mainly concerned with the ride quality of them, especially considering they are going on a new ecoboost Fx4...not the big heavy v8 weight over the front end like normal (I'm assuming the ecoboost is a bit lighter than the old 5.4 and 4.6, but I don't know that for a fact). I was wondering if they were a "1 size fits all" setup, or if they are sprung and valved for specific vehicle configurations and weight.

Last edited by Langford; 03-06-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:12 PM
To ensure 2011 fitment get in touch with Icon directly, They are really good to deal with over the phone and super helpful..

I'm not sure of the exact difference from the 2wd & 4x4 coilovers but I do know that they are specific to fit each truck, The 2wd will not fit 4x4 trucks.

They are direct bolt on coilovers and come with bolts/washers etc for installation. Mine are currently cranked at 2" and the ride is nice and smooth, I dont notice any difference from stock. My only issue is the AdvanceTrac keeps going off when I'm driving and I turn into a parking lot that is higher than the road, Making the truck feel a little tippy. I was told that it's most likely from my 35" tires but figured I'd bring it up as it could have something to do with lifting the front end. Ford has a fix for the issue by updating the ABS but i have not gotten a chance to bring it into the dealer to see if the fix works.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the info Blackout, I appreciate it.

Well...I got an email and a call today.

The email was from Icon...here is what I originally asked:

"I was looking at your coilover shock setup for my 2011 F150 4x4, and I just wanted to make sure they will fit on the '11 model with no modifications. Also, are the shocks sold as a "1 size fits all", or are they sprung and valved for specific vehicle configurations?

The truck they are going on is a crew cab 4x4 with the ecoboost v6, so it won't have the v8 engine weight like most crew cab full size trucks do. I'm just looking to lift the front of the truck enough to clear a set of 33's, and get a little better ride on the dunes...but I don't want it sitting extremely high because of the lack of engine weight. I would like it to sit as low as possible, but still clear the 33's with no rubbing. And on-road ride quality is also an issue, don't want this thing riding like a tank on the streets from overly stiff springs."
And here was their response...

Yes they will fit your 2011 F150. All our CO's are vehicle specific to your year, make and model vs a one size fits all. Having said that the CO generally does not differ from a V6 to V8. You could probably request custom valving but we only have one coil spring option for that model. This setup will accommodate a 33" tire.

Well, not exactly what I was looking for...but somewhat what I expected. With my "once size fits all question", I was more asking towards specific vehicle setup, ie single cab v6 vs a crew cab with a v8. I'm fairly inexperienced with automotive coilovers, but in the ATV world where I have a little more experience...shocks come valved and sprung for specific rider weights, A-arm/Swingarm lengths and riding style. So it sounds like the Icons are basically one size fits all...as in they probably find a happy medium that works for all applications and call it a day for each specific make/model/year, instead of going as deep as specific truck configurations.

And lastly, got my call from the dealership today. My black 2011 Fx4 ecoboost SCrew is scheduled to be built on 3/21/2011 . I'm going to go ahead and order the Icons, 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers and 20" black Fuel Octane wheels...I can't wait to get the new truck and bolt the few goodies onto it.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by Langford
Thanks for the info Blackout, I appreciate it.

Well...I got an email and a call today.

The email was from Icon...here is what I originally asked:

And here was their response...

Well, not exactly what I was looking for...but somewhat what I expected. With my "once size fits all question", I was more asking towards specific vehicle setup, ie single cab v6 vs a crew cab with a v8. I'm fairly inexperienced with automotive coilovers, but in the ATV world where I have a little more experience...shocks come valved and sprung for specific rider weights, A-arm/Swingarm lengths and riding style. So it sounds like the Icons are basically one size fits all...as in they probably find a happy medium that works for all applications and call it a day for each specific make/model/year, instead of going as deep as specific truck configurations.

And lastly, got my call from the dealership today. My black 2011 Fx4 ecoboost SCrew is scheduled to be built on 3/21/2011 . I'm going to go ahead and order the Icons, 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers and 20" black Fuel Octane wheels...I can't wait to get the new truck and bolt the few goodies onto it.
FYI your truck has elec. power steering if u do what u r thinking and have steering problems ford will void your warranty some folks on another thread have already had problems the new steering is very sensitive and very complicated with sensors

Old 03-08-2011, 06:41 PM
I wonder if they build in batches I'm ordering a black FX4 ecoboost screw as I type this.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by blackf-150
FYI your truck has elec. power steering if u do what u r thinking and have steering problems ford will void your warranty some folks on another thread have already had problems the new steering is very sensitive and very complicated with sensors
Thanks for the tip, I will keep that in mind.

Originally Posted by SkiDood
I wonder if they build in batches I'm ordering a black FX4 ecoboost screw as I type this.
Nice, not sure about how they build them...but I see all different colors, cab configurations, and models coming through the area daily (I work fairly close to the truck plant), and drive right by one of their staging/storage lots almost daily. These things seem to be flying off of the lots though, my salesman searched for a truck built exactly how I wanted it, and the only one they could find was in West Virginia, but it must have had a deposit down on it because it was shown as unavailable in their system. I was very specific with what I wanted this time, so they had to order it new...not much of a chance of finding my ideal setup sitting on a lot somewhere. I somewhat settled for what they had available on my last truck (2010 Lariat SCrew), and I won't do that again. The 4.10 rear end that I ordered this time really narrowed the field of available trucks...but no big deal, it is being built soon enough! Ordered on 3/3, built on 3/21...not bad IMO considering the size of this operation.

Last edited by Langford; 03-08-2011 at 07:37 PM.

Quick Reply: 2011 F-150 Icon Coilovers?