2009 - 2014 F-150

2010 FX4 3rd brake light water leak, WTH!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bansheerider
Where do you live? When i picked up my truck the service manager said that this usually happens where it gets really hot. I live in Houston, TX and in the summer it gets to about 105 degrees. I am guessing that the old gasket is deteriating over time from the summer heat. Anyways, I picked up my truck with new light and headliner. It all looks good except the overhead consol sunglass compartment looks a little off. I mean it's not flush to the console. I may just be picky but I have a right to with a new truck. The overall job looks good though. I water tested the new light myself and it seems to be fixed. Good luck with yours!
I live near Toronto, Canada. Our temps have been hovering around 30-36F with a lot of rain over the last few days.

Glad to hear your truck is fixed. Mine's at the dealer right now so I have no idea what they are doing.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by seadragon
I live near Toronto, Canada. Our temps have been hovering around 30-36F with a lot of rain over the last few days.

Glad to hear your truck is fixed. Mine's at the dealer right now so I have no idea what they are doing.
Well I just realized another problem. My AC turns on everytime I start the truck. Would this have to do with the headliner being removed? It didn't do this before I had the truck serviced.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Dont buy Recon 3rd brake lights.... If you thought your leak was bad with the OEM brake light, then consider the Recon product a funnel ready to catch water. The one I bought had no gasket at all and I had to make my own. I would recommend replacing the bulb with LED's and then getting the silicone out and making a good tight seal on it.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Now I'm kind of hoping I have the leak. I can get the dealer to take out my headliner, then I can install an NMO antenna mount and coax for my ham radio, then I can have my dealer put in a new headliner... without repeating the oops from the last time I drilled a hole in my roof.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:50 PM
Does anyone know for sure this "new thicker gasket" is actually thicker? Or does it just look thicker compared to the old gasket that has been crushed under the light for so long?

Old 03-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by Ford850
Does anyone know for sure this "new thicker gasket" is actually thicker? Or does it just look thicker compared to the old gasket that has been crushed under the light for so long?
I found these pics on another forum:

http://www.f150forum.com/f38/new-3rd...-gasket-74487/

Old 03-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Just got off the phone with my dealer. They replaced the light with a new one (assuming it has thicker gasket too). He mentioned that it now comes with a bracket of some sort? Not sure what that's all about.

But, my pickup is ready to be picked up!

Old 03-11-2011, 08:14 PM
After the heavy rains, it would appear that I have a moisture control issue with my truck, too. The headliner is dry and not stained, but the driver side rear seat is wet. I can't find where the water got in there. One thing that did happen is part of the weatherstripping around the door pulled loose from being frozen to the door the other day. That issue is now resolved. I'm thinking the water came from there...hopefully.

Originally Posted by seadragon
I found these pics on another forum:

http://www.f150forum.com/f38/new-3rd...-gasket-74487/

I have condensation in my 3rd brake light, so I scoped it out today. The gasket on the left is what mine has if that helps anyone.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same thing on my 2008 Sport Trac but it was out of warranty. It cost me $100 for a new 3rd brake light assembly. The gasket was wider and thicker as well. Water came in, filled up upper trim, leaked down and filled storage pocket with water. At least the water was self contain and the liner never did get wet with the Sport Trac headliner design.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:02 AM
AVS or Tasca should manufacture a 'vent visor' for the high light.

Better yet, the FoMoCo should stamp a recessed area into the top of the cab that the high light fits into so the gasket isn't exposed to weather.

Seems it would save them lots of warranty work.

The gasket is probably designed to deteriorate after the bumper to bumper warranty expires and some are experiencing early failures.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:24 AM
Okay, so here's a few pics for your enjoyment. The headliner has dried up nicely and I don't think it look that bad. The dealer told me that if I'm not happy with how it dries, they would take care of it. I'm still debating if I should put silicone around the light just to be safe. It might be a real pain when it comes time to change a bulb though.

Old light:

New light and gasket:
Seems to be "tighter" fit to the cab.

This is what the headliner looks like after I kept the truck in my heater garage overnight with the windows down and fan blowing against it:

Old 03-12-2011, 06:21 PM
You're right, it does look like the new light is squeezed down tighter. I wonder if the isue is the lights just aren't screwed down tight enough from the factory when the foam gasket still has memory and flex.

Quick Reply: 2010 FX4 3rd brake light water leak, WTH!!!!