2009 - 2014 F-150

New EcoBoost w/ 200 Miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New EcoBoost w/ 200 Miles

Finally found a 2011 F150 I want, blue flame supercab XLT w/EcoBoost engine. Only one problem it has 200 miles on it, been at the dealer less than one month, the salesman I talked with wanted me to drive it as soon as he came up to me - makes me think it is the dealer's test drive truck - it is parked next to the showroom while the other trucks are parked way out front.

I think the test drive route is less than 10 miles so it has been on at least 18 test drives. I know when I drove an EcoBoost at the Ford EcoBoost Test Drive event I was not easy on it, but i was broken in. BTW it drove wonderfully - plenty of power at any speed.

Is there any thing I should be worried about on this truck? The Ford EcoBoost test drive rider I rode with, at a different dealership, said there should be nothing to worry about. Just have the dealership change the oil and filter before delivery.

I would order what I want, a duplicate of this truck, but my $750 coupon will expire before delivery per my local Ford dealer.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:39 PM
Just get it. 200 miles is nothing compared to what they did to that test engine.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Don't have them change that oil before delivery. Just get your first (or more) routine oil change service covered by the dealer. Then get it changed at 2K-3K miles or so to allow some break-in. If you change it too soon, you will just need to change it again, because the break-in period will not have been passed. Some manufacturers (ie Honda) put special "break-in" oil during manufacturing, and tell you not to change the oil early. For our Odyssey, the dealer said (per Honda instructions) to wait until the severe duty interval of 3750 miles before changing that first oil to allow for engine break-in. Then change oil at the normal interval. They even gave us a coupon for the first 5 free.

200 miles even if driven hard is no big deal.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Ask for a little extra cash off the total price.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:40 PM
Read that coupon carefully. I believe it is only valid for dealer stock. I ordered a brochure form Ford to get this coupon and when I did was bummed to see it was only for dealer stock.

Since I will be ordering mine I guess its not gonna work for me.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:48 PM
pgh_medic

As long as the dealer orders the vehicle as a O/T 2 Ford will not know that it was ordered for an individual, but just ordered as dealer stock.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Super FX4
Ask for a little extra cash off the total price.
sounds like a good idea. wouldn't hurt to try to use it as haggling room

Old 03-08-2011, 10:59 PM
All Ford offers say you must take delivery from dealer stock by such and such date. All this means is you must take delivery by the date, not that you can't order one. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by shootin4themoon
All Ford offers say you must take delivery from dealer stock by such and such date. All this means is you must take delivery by the date, not that you can't order one. Correct me if I'm wrong.
That was my impression

Old 03-08-2011, 11:35 PM
Location: Molino, FL / Camp Frontenac (Shah Wali Kowt), Afghanistan
Dealer stock means any new vehicle that is on their lot. If you were going to get the dealer to transfer in an (example) FX2 from another dealer like I was going to do originally (from Panama City, FL to Pensacola, FL) that would not be considered dealer stock and your coupon would not be any good on it (unless your dealer chose to honor it anyway).

As for a demo vehicle...any vehicle on the lot can be considered for use as a demo (at least at our dealership it was), you go to the lot...see a vehicle you like...you take it out for a test drive. Any vehicle is elgible for that. Some vehicles (say the one you are taking out) may have caught the eye of someone else as well as a lot of others and may have that type of mileage. Sometimes the dealer will give you the keys and tell you to take it out for the weekend...again it is not uncommon to have 200 miles or more on a vehicle.

The important thing to remember is that your warranty starts when "you" take possession of the car/truck so if you already have 200 miles on your vehicle when you buy it your warranty shouldn't expire until you have 36,200 miles on it. Now if the vehicle is used (for clarification) and it is still under the manufacturer's warranty then you only get the remaining time/mileage (up to 36,000 miles or 3 years) on that warranty for that vehicle.

Besides usually if anything is going to go bad/break down on the vehicle it is going to happen within that 36,000 mile time (what you may worry less about is the 3 year warranty as usually the mileage will expire before the 3 years time limit does)...200 miles is nothing as others have already said...and that is what the warranty is there for.

Being that this is the EcoBoost model it is no surprise that (and probably the only one on the lot) it had some test drives on it.

Dennis

112 dtg Dubai
113 dtg Home for good!

Last edited by molinoman; 03-08-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:30 AM
The $750 coupon will work on ordered trucks. There is a whole thread about this on the Mustang forums.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...inventory.html

Old 03-09-2011, 06:11 AM
Do you think the dealer will honor with an X Plan PIN also? I imagine they have some leeway to deny the coupon if you are using a Ford family plan since you are getting a good price already.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:19 AM
Location: Molino, FL / Camp Frontenac (Shah Wali Kowt), Afghanistan
In February I got my truck with the X-Plan, brochure coupon plus another $3,500 in rebates...it's doable.

Good luck,

Dennis

112 dtg Dubai
113 dtg Home for good!

Old 03-09-2011, 07:13 AM
Originally Posted by shootin4themoon
If you look at most (all that I've read) incentives/discounts they say you must take delivery from dealer stock by a certain date. Those incentives are honored when you order a truck. I think this actually goes to the fact that the deal isn't closed until you take delivery and give them some money. You can order a truck and at the last minute walk from the deal. The dealer doesn't return the truck to the plant. It goes into their stock to be sold.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:31 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'd get that oil & filter changed before delivery. It ain;t gonna hurt - and I also like the idear of leveraging for some dinero off the bottom line.

There is no 'break-in' oil in use here - it ain't a Honda By now, if not from the factory run-ups, then by the 'abuse' so far - it's done 'broken in', lol.

BTW - given it's crash-test-dummy status, who knows how long it's been idling or how often full boost was applied, especially when cold.

Hence, my My concern - oil dilution. These things are runnin' 5w-30 for a reason. If anyone is gonna be dilutin' the oil, it better be the owner.

IMHO - okay?

MGD

Quick Reply: New EcoBoost w/ 200 Miles