2009 - 2014 F-150

Factory bed extender compatibility with tonneau?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory bed extender compatibility with tonneau?

Looking into which tonneau I want and have seen a couple comments in the tonneau forum suggesting there could be a problem with the bed extender working a tonneau cover. I'm thinking/hoping this is more likely an issue for the older rigid model extender that flipped over and didn't disconnect in the middle but looking for confirmation if this is something I need to be concerned about?

Old 03-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It still has to flip over, so you would have to have the tonneau lifted (hard cover) or pulled back (softy cover) so the extender can be extended over the tailgate.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:57 PM
No issues. I have an Access Lorado cover with the factory bed extender.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by SkiDood
Looking into which tonneau I want and have seen a couple comments in the tonneau forum suggesting there could be a problem with the bed extender working a tonneau cover. I'm thinking/hoping this is more likely an issue for the older rigid model extender that flipped over and didn't disconnect in the middle but looking for confirmation if this is something I need to be concerned about?
No problem. I can flip mine without opening my tonneau.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes it should, with the tonneau cover open.

That is the main reason why I didn't buy this extender. Everything about it is great but it doesn't extend much. The extender is so round and short, it doesn't extend to the corners of the tailgate or to the edge of the tailgate.

The amp research is the best for going to the side, corner, and front edges of the tailgate for maximum extension. However because of this, it won't fit with any covers that have rails that extend into the bed without quick angle latch attachment. That allows the extender to come off at an angle not to interfere with rails. That way you can take it off when done. It won't be able to be flipped into the bed but can be used.

I'd like to get an extender like that, but unlike the factory OEM extender, it would be in the way when flipped to the inside of the bed. So right now the OEM extender is the only that'll fit my needs, but then again it doesn't, with it's limited tailgate extension.

Quick Reply: Factory bed extender compatibility with tonneau?