2009 - 2014 F-150

tailgate snap

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 11:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tailgate snap

Keep your ears open boys. While closing my tailgate on my '10 FX4 Screw, at 2/3 closed it makes an annoying crack or snap sound. I assumed it had something to do with the helper spring (or whatever internal tailgate parts are related) has a problem. A trip to the dealer has confirmed this, and seems to be a common problem. BTW, I do not have the step incorporated in my gate. They also said it was a 2+ hour fix, and they wanted my whole truck to fix it...
what a PITA. Appt set for Saturday.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 06 does it every now and then. It will be interesting to find out what the dealer does to cure it.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:42 PM
My '09 does this but I just thought it was from all of the mud/dirt/snow/ice buildup. I'll be interested to see what you find out.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:19 PM
My truck does it also. I didnt think nothing of it. It just got back from the dealer for a seat heater issue. let us know what it was. thanks.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:03 PM
My tailgate does it also but that's because we crack a lot of pecans with it.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:51 PM
As you all know, the tailgate on these things feels alot lighter to close than any of the old school ones, and it is not because its made of some fancy aircraft aluminum. These are just as heavy as the old ones, but Ford incorporated a helping assembly inside. The service writer knew exactly what my problem was, and said they have a boat load of replacement parts in stock. If mine wasn't under warranty I'd take it apart and do it myself, but I'll let them do it until it costs me labor money. By his reaction, it wouldn't surprise me if there was a TSB on this issue. Call your dealer boys, and get ER done!

Old 03-16-2011, 08:23 PM
The snap is a cracked and binding left hand hinge. It's the plastic part attached to the torsion bar. As it turns it binds in the pocket it sits in. The snap is when the torque of the torsion bar exceeds the binding and the hinge turns.

My 07 did this for about 2 years before I figured out what the heck was happening. You can lube this thing until the cows come home and the problem comes back in a few weeks or days.

I think there's an issue with the design of the injection molded plastic part. I wonder how long it will take before this annoying problem shows up on my 11.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:16 PM
Truck went to dealer this morning, but had to take it home still sick.... When they opened up the gate, they discovered that not only was the plastic bushing damaged, but the rod itself was broken too. They only stock the bushings, and the rod comes in a kit with new bushings. So I wait some more I guess. But for sure, if your tailgate makes a loud click when you are closing it, you have a warrant-able problem.....

Old 04-16-2011, 10:41 PM
Well, my back-ordered rod assembly finally showed up. Dealer invoice shows part number AL3Z 99402A68 A - Rod

Noise is gone.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:08 PM
Mine did this today. I opened the tailgate and walked away and heard a loud bang like some thing fell over. So after searching around to try to find what the noise was I found that on the right side "passenger" the spot welds that holds the mount to the tailgate that connects it to the truck was apart. Looks as if only one spot weld was ever holding it. Now the tail gate is very heavy feeling so apparently it holds the spring up inside there. Has this happened to any body?

Old 05-04-2013, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by Armyboy61
My '09 does this but I just thought it was from all of the mud/dirt/snow/ice buildup. I'll be interested to see what you find out.
What he said, I opened mine up, cleaned it up, greased it and things were good to go again. Note mine didn't suddenly feel heavy, just really hard to drop down.

Last edited by cndcowboy; 05-04-2013 at 07:18 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 05-04-2013, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by Westpoint
Mine did this today. I opened the tailgate and walked away and heard a loud bang like some thing fell over. So after searching around to try to find what the noise was I found that on the right side "passenger" the spot welds that holds the mount to the tailgate that connects it to the truck was apart. Looks as if only one spot weld was ever holding it. Now the tail gate is very heavy feeling so apparently it holds the spring up inside there. Has this happened to any body?
The "EZ up tailgate" doesn't have a spring assist but rather a 'torsion bar' assist, instead.

I'll bet the "loud bang" you heard were the welds breaking on the torsion bar assist, that 's why the tailgate now feels heavy.

Last edited by High-ster; 05-04-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:10 AM
Don't know if this would help to alleviate or eliminate the issue, but I installed the tailgate dampener (single hydraulic on driver's side) and it keeps the tailgate from opening too fast...wonder it that would decrease the binding by giving it more time to clear when being lowered? It's a cool/inexpensive mod anyway, pretty nice to be able to open the tailgate and just let go of it and watch it slowly/smoothly lower.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by HotLap
Don't know if this would help to alleviate or eliminate the issue, but I installed the tailgate dampener (single hydraulic on driver's side) and it keeps the tailgate from opening too fast...wonder it that would decrease the binding by giving it more time to clear when being lowered? It's a cool/inexpensive mod anyway, pretty nice to be able to open the tailgate and just let go of it and watch it slowly/smoothly lower.
Got pics or a link?

Old 05-06-2013, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by HotLap
I bought one from our local O'Reilley's. It's was only $19.95, and works great. Just pull the handle, step back, and it just eases down with no clunk. Very nice if you have your hands full of stuff.

There are more expensive brands out there, but thought I would give this one a chance. Five months, and no issues so far.

Quick Reply: tailgate snap