2009 - 2014 F-150

Post your MPGs at various speeds (MPG database)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post your MPGs at various speeds (MPG database)

Let's clear up the MPG confusion with all of the new 2011 engines.
For those of you with the instant MPG readout, please check your MPG at various speeds on a flat road and post it up along with the following info about your truck. This way prospective buyers can get an idea of the mileage to expect depending on the speeds they drive. This will also eliminate some of the MPG confusion due to different people's driving habits.

45 mph = _________MPG
50 mph = _________MPG
55 mph = _________MPG
60 mph = _________MPG
65 mph = _________MPG
70 mph = _________MPG
75 mph = _________MPG

Engine:__________
Gear ratio:________
2wd or 4wd:________
Stock tires Yes/No:__________
If not stock, what size:_________
If larger tires is your speedo recalibrated Yes/No:___________
How many miles are on your truck:___________
What fuel were you running when measured:_____________ (87,91,E85, 91, 87 winter blend, 87 with 10% E, etc)
List any mods:__________ (CAI, tuner, exhaust etc, anything that many effect your MPG)

Old 03-18-2011, 10:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice project, but as inaccurate as the average (mine has been as high as 2.88 and as low as 0.95) and instantaneous readouts are I doubt you'll gain much real insight. Not to mention there are hundreds, if not thousands, of variables you can't account for.

Better solution (IMHO) is to track the long term MPG (via Fuelly.com, spreadsheet, or other application). The key is to try to account for the variables (towing, temperature, wind, load, fuel manufacturer, etc.).

Old 03-18-2011, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by 4wDakota
Let's clear up the MPG confusion with all of the new 2011 engines.
For those of you with the instant MPG readout, please check your MPG at various speeds on a flat road and post it up along with the following info about your truck. This way prospective buyers can get an idea of the mileage to expect depending on the speeds they drive. This will also eliminate some of the MPG confusion due to different people's driving habits.

45 mph = _________MPG
50 mph = _________MPG
55 mph = _________MPG
60 mph = _______MPG
65 mph = ____18_____MPG
70 mph = _____17____MPG
75 mph = _____16____MPG

Engine:____6.2l______
Gear ratio:____3.73____
2wd or 4wd:____4wd____
Stock tires Yes/No:____18______
If not stock, what size:_________
If larger tires is your speedo recalibrated Yes/No:___________
How many miles are on your truck:______new(test drive)_____
What fuel were you running when measured:_____87________ (87,91,E85, 91, 87 winter blend, 87 with 10% E, etc)
List any mods:__________ (CAI, tuner, exhaust etc, anything that many effect your MPG)

New test drive, SCrew 4x4 max tow. Cruise control set on the highway, -4 degrees C.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:54 PM
+1 for Fuelly, great simple site and easy updates via SMS (text message)

Old 03-24-2011, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by shotgunz
Nice project, but as inaccurate as the average (mine has been as high as 2.88 and as low as 0.95) and instantaneous readouts are I doubt you'll gain much real insight. Not to mention there are hundreds, if not thousands, of variables you can't account for.

Better solution (IMHO) is to track the long term MPG (via Fuelly.com, spreadsheet, or other application). The key is to try to account for the variables (towing, temperature, wind, load, fuel manufacturer, etc.).
I do that now with my current truck. But I also know that 50% of my commute is on a 55 mph country road and the other 50% is 65 mph. It'd be nice to know what the best speed to drive at. And I'm sure others who coomute at 70-75 would like to know what mileage to expect based on which engine.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:37 AM
Like I said, The key is to try to account for the variables (towing, temperature, wind, load, fuel manufacturer, elevation change, etc.).

Not to mention that each truck will likely perform differently under the exact same scenario.

Without accounting for all the variables the data and analysis will not provide any useful correlations.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:42 AM
Like I said, The key is to try to account for the variables (towing, temperature, wind, load, fuel manufacturer, elevation change, etc.).

Not to mention that each truck will likely perform differently under the exact same scenario.

Without accounting for all the variables the data and analysis will not provide any useful correlations.
But it would be nice to see if a definite trends appears over a broad spectrum or even similar vehicles. I'm in when I can find a place/time to run a test. Being it will not be a controlled test it will most likely be for entertainment value only. Perhaps each mph reading should also be for a set distance like 3-5 miles.

Last edited by Loki 5.0; 03-24-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by 4wDakota
I do that now with my current truck. But I also know that 50% of my commute is on a 55 mph country road and the other 50% is 65 mph. It'd be nice to know what the best speed to drive at. And I'm sure others who coomute at 70-75 would like to know what mileage to expect based on which engine.
The sweet spot for me is ~42 mph. Take a winding country road about 40% of the drive to work. 2010 4.6 3V 3.73 XLT Scab.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by zski128
The sweet spot for me is ~42 mph. Take a winding country road about 40% of the drive to work. 2010 4.6 3V 3.73 XLT Scab.
He asked for 2011 engines...

Old 03-25-2011, 05:35 AM

I 100% agree. My CTS can give me instant readouts I can go from 4-5 going up hill to 80+ MPG on the readout depending on the road and how I'm driving. Long term tracking is the only way to determine milage and not with the truck computer as they are inaccurate. I use an excel file because I can create custom comparisons to look at variables as I build the truck up.

Quick Reply: Post your MPGs at various speeds (MPG database)