2009 - 2014 F-150

Trucks Pre-Wired for upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 11:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trucks Pre-Wired for upgrades?

Does anyone know if the 2009/2010 year models are pre-wired for 2011 upgrades like the lighted cup holders or even the new gear selector where you can choose your gear instead of being limited to 1-2-3?

Thanks for any info

Old 03-19-2011, 04:11 AM
Lighted cup holders? I don't have that in my 11. Hmm....

Your 09/10 wiring harness wont include wiring for features added to a 11. It may have wiring for optional features available to the model year you own. I would suggest spending time with the wiring manual and see if you can determine what wires you need and go searching for them.

The shift functions your interested in are more then wiring. So, that's not going to work.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:14 AM
What about the nav system? I wonder how difficult it would be, and what parts are necessary

Old 03-19-2011, 10:29 AM
My experience is from an '05 F150. My '05 F150 didn't come with a power sliding rear window and so I thought I'd order a power sliding rear window, pop and rear glass out and pop the new window in and plug it in and be all set. After all, the power sliding rear window is a popular option and surely Ford would have prewired for it, right?

Wrong. I popped the new window in and then went on a witch hunt to mount the switch (I put in on the dash next the the pedal adjustment switch) and find power.

I still marvel that Ford's inventory control is so good that they have different wiring harnesses for different optioned trucks apparently in order to save money.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by marshal
What about the nav system? I wonder how difficult it would be, and what parts are necessary
It would be easier to put in an aftermarket Nav system whether it was a full blown Pioneer radio/nav or just a simple Garmin.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by marshal
Marsh, I inquired about this at my dealer. They told me it was absolutely impossible, and that the wiring harness was totally different. Apparently they had multiple requests and spent some time researching it. I took them at their word, and gave up.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:28 AM
Originally Posted by svt2205
Lighted cup holders? I don't have that in my 11. Hmm....
They are only available in the trims that come with the breeze-thru center console, like the Lariat and Platinum. Cool little feature... puts led rings in the cup holders and two LED light bars under the dash that light up the footwells, and have something like 9 different colors.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by JohnnyCashAK
They are only available in the trims that come with the breeze-thru center console, like the Lariat and Platinum. Cool little feature... puts led rings in the cup holders and two LED light bars under the dash that light up the footwells, and have something like 9 different colors.
Yeah it looks sweet, I was just wondering the difficulty of install. My plan is to keep this truck very stock, so if I could add something OEM without splicing wires I would.

OEM navs on pretty much any car are too expensive/impossible to add later.

Thanks for the feedback guys, it was worth a shot for some easy modding.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:33 AM
Location: Molino, FL / Camp Frontenac (Shah Wali Kowt), Afghanistan
JohnnyCashAK wrote:
"They are only available in the trims that come with the breeze-thru center console, like the Lariat and Platinum. "

Does that mean that my 2011 Lariat may already be prewired for that feature (ambient lighting like I had in my 2008 Mustang).

If it is I may be interested in getting that put in and hooked up when I return home.

Dennis

99 dtg Dubai
100 dtg Home for good!

Old 03-22-2011, 06:07 PM
lights

i put these in my wifes 2010 explorer. simple install got a part at autozone that replaces a fuse and lets you plug 2 fuses in the fuse block
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UVCK8O

Old 03-23-2011, 04:08 AM
Originally Posted by molinoman
JohnnyCashAK wrote:
"They are only available in the trims that come with the breeze-thru center console, like the Lariat and Platinum. "

Does that mean that my 2011 Lariat may already be prewired for that feature (ambient lighting like I had in my 2008 Mustang).

If it is I may be interested in getting that put in and hooked up when I return home.

Dennis

99 dtg Dubai
100 dtg Home for good!
If you have the breeze-thru center console with the shifting **** attached, yes. It's actually a simple install, with the parts and manual both available on Tasca Ford's website.

Here is the link to the installation PDF

http://www.tasca.com/page/framedpage...o?paCode=00796

Under the black "Offical Site for Ford Accessories" Banner, click the tab marked "Tech Specs." Then in the drop down menu, select "Installation Instructions," then under Type select "Electrical" then under that select "Lamps, Lights, and Treatments." A list should show up below, and you want the PDF labeled "Interior Ambient LED light, 2011 Truck."

I tried to direct link the manual, but it's setup so you can't for some reason. It's a couple pages long, but it shouldn't take you more than an hour or two because it's pretty much just plug and play, and the mounting holes for the LED modules themselves look to be pre-drilled if I'm reading these diagrams right. I wish my XLT was pre-wired for them, because I've seen them in a 2010 Shelby, and it's an awesome look. Good luck.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:13 AM
Location: Molino, FL / Camp Frontenac (Shah Wali Kowt), Afghanistan
Thanks for the info...I'll be definitely looking into it when I get back.

I did try to pull it up but I kept getting error on page...but the dealer should be able to access it...if they are "reasonable" I'll have them install it.

Dennis

Last edited by molinoman; 03-24-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:10 PM
I just picked up a 2012 Lariat. It has the pass thru AC.
Any sucess stories out there with part numbers to order the lighted cup holders?
Thanks
Dennis

Old 04-22-2012, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by molinoman
Thanks for the info...I'll be definitely looking into it when I get back.

I did try to pull it up but I kept getting error on page...but the dealer should be able to access it...if they are "reasonable" I'll have them install it.

Dennis
The parts are not cheap to do it 100% OEM.

Lighting Kit: 8L8Z-13E700-AA
Platinum Center Console Bezel (Cupholders Switch): AL3Z-15045A76-KB

Old 04-22-2012, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by NastyFX4
The parts are not cheap to do it 100% OEM.

Lighting Kit: 8L8Z-13E700-AA
Platinum Center Console Bezel (Cupholders Switch): AL3Z-15045A76-KB

How much is not cheap? I was not able to find anything on the Tasca website.

Quick Reply: Trucks Pre-Wired for upgrades?