2009 - 2014 F-150

any 2011 King Ranch Ecoboost's out there?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 12:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by marshal
A turbo is a turbo, they're all set up the same, it's just the variance in size and the location of a waste gate.
Yes a turbo is a turbo but there are some differences.A diesel turbo would have a bigger compressor. A diesel flows a lot more air than a gasser and is normally on a large displacement engine, except for VW TDI or a similar turbo diesel car.So a diesel turbo would spool slower than hell on a gas engine.
A gas engine runs a lot hotter EGTs and would melt the turbine wheel off a diesel turbo,unless it was upgraded to a billet wheel.

The turbos on the EB truck are built by Borg Warner, and while i have no documentation or have seen one to physically check, I'd be willing to bet they have silencer rings considering how quiet the turbos are for being variable geometry
I doubt it, silencer rings are a Cummins thing.

Granted, if I'm wrong - no cats and glass packs will make a turbo whine just as much as if it didn't have silencer rings on
With cats and factory exhaust a turbocharged 4 or 6 cylinder will be quiet.
FWIW, I've owned and been modding Grand National V6 turbo cars for the last 23 years so I know a little,very little.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:54 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NASSTY
A gas engine runs a lot hotter EGTs and would melt the turbine wheel off a diesel turbo,unless it was upgraded to a billet wheel.
a quick search shows gas engines can hit 1500 degrees roughly before mods to handle it, a diesel can hit 1450 for short sprints with out any mods so i don't think 100 degrees is going to screw anything up. i'm not arguing there different because i don't know but it seems they hit close to same temps on WOT runs.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
a quick search shows gas engines can hit 1500 degrees roughly before mods to handle it, a diesel can hit 1450 for short sprints with out any mods so i don't think 100 degrees is going to screw anything up. i'm not arguing there different because i don't know but it seems they hit close to same temps on WOT runs.
A lot of modded gassers see EGTs of 1650-1700 on 1/4 mile runs.
1450 is hotter than the older diesels used to see before people started going mod crazy with them.

Last edited by NASSTY; 03-20-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zitterich246
Woodhouse in Blair, Nebraska has a few
Just went on the Woodhouse Ford Dealer's website and they have the exact truck I just order two weeks ago. Only problem is the odometer would be in mph instead of km/hr for Canada. Too bad I still have to wait 6-8 more weeks.....

Quick Reply: any 2011 King Ranch Ecoboost's out there?