2009 - 2014 F-150

Bed Cover?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed no difference at all with the cover on mine. Buy one because you want the coverage, not because of any potential mileage gains.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:15 AM
Originally Posted by beauff
My last truck I drove 100 miles on the highway every day with & with out it covered, hard & soft, I put 175000 miles on that truck before I traded it off & I saw no difference in the MPG's None!!
Yeah, that seems to be the concensus. I don't think it'd be worth the
money considering how much I use mine.
Dano

Old 03-22-2011, 09:05 AM
Dano: Will do! Will be later this summer since I want to make sure the truck is broken in a bit first but I'll post the results in a new thread when I'm done.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:29 AM
If I recall correctly, many years ago (pre-2002) someone on this site did a paper on this topic. They tested cap, tonneau, nothing, tailgate net, and stock tailgate. From best to worse it worked out cap, tonneau, stock tail gate, nothing tailgate net. The first to were kind of instinctive. The last three were a bit shocking. The explanation, as I remember it, was the tailgate caused a cushion of air to form in the truck bed that worked similar to the tonneau. The last two caused eddies of air to form in weird places disrupting the air flow over the vehicle and causing more drag.

The other problem with the tailgate net is it caused stress on the sides of the bed when driving down the street. It made sense that it pulled inward on the sides. With a hard tailgate there are cushion pieces on the sides that only allow for the sides to come in a small amount. The extra wear from the tailgate net would theoretically cause premature wear out of the sides of the bed.

Another thing I had read a while back is aerodynamics only comes into play at speeds in excess of about 40 mph. Below that there isn't enough air flow to significantly harm fuel mileage.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:49 PM
I've also seen no noticable difference with mine.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:10 PM
Don't buy it for MPG savings.

Ultimatly you'd get.. whatever you wanted out of it. And when the wife asks you if your saving fuel, you'll say yes M'am. Dang near payed for itself already!

Old 03-22-2011, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by Power Kid
Don't buy it for MPG savings.

Ultimatly you'd get.. whatever you wanted out of it. And when the wife asks you if your saving fuel, you'll say yes M'am. Dang near payed for itself already!

Dano

Old 03-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by HTRN
Dano: Will do! Will be later this summer since I want to make sure the truck is broken in a bit first but I'll post the results in a new thread when I'm done.
Looking forward to it.
Be safe,
Dano

Quick Reply: Bed Cover?