2009 - 2014 F-150

5star Tuning does AFE intake on 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 02:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 02reaper
Correct. The cams are the same, the cam timing is different in the car and truck tunes. The trucks are really detuned.
and as for the compression its probably only a thicker head gasket. So it wont surprise me if you see guys changing out the head gaskets,bolt on headers and tune and get numbers close to the mustangs numbers.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome
and as for the compression its probably only a thicker head gasket. So it wont surprise me if you see guys changing out the head gaskets,bolt on headers and tune and get numbers close to the mustangs numbers.
According to Popular mechanics the truck version has different heads.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...0-engine-specs

"The next engine in the new lineup is another we've seen before in the Mustang: the four-valve, dual-overhead camshaft Five-O. The 5.0 liter is beefed up for truck duty with specific exhaust manifolds, slightly lower compression (10.5:1 versus 11.1:1) and new heads with different valve angles (to allow for fuel cooling of the intake charge). The camshafts are also less aggressive and tuned for torque compared to the Mustang GT application. The new F-150 5.0 liter produces:

• 360 horsepower at 5500 rpm
• 380 lb.-ft. of torque at 4250 rpm"

Old 03-25-2011, 01:24 PM
^ well there you go some solid facts. i've done some more digging and yes they have different heads.thats the first i've read about the cams.everything i read before said they only changed the timing.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by Loki 5.0
According to Popular mechanics the truck version has different heads.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...0-engine-specs

"The next engine in the new lineup is another we've seen before in the Mustang: the four-valve, dual-overhead camshaft Five-O. The 5.0 liter is beefed up for truck duty with specific exhaust manifolds, slightly lower compression (10.5:1 versus 11.1:1) and new heads with different valve angles (to allow for fuel cooling of the intake charge). The camshafts are also less aggressive and tuned for torque compared to the Mustang GT application. The new F-150 5.0 liter produces:

• 360 horsepower at 5500 rpm
• 380 lb.-ft. of torque at 4250 rpm"
^ well there you go some solid facts. i've done some more digging and yes they have different heads.thats the first i've read about the cams.everything i read before said they only changed the timing.
The popular mechanics article is wrong. Camshafts are the same, just tuned different for the trucks. The compression is lower do to a different piston in the trucks vs the cars. You even hear in some articles that the intake manifold is different, but in the tune the volume is programmed the same as the mustangs, so that leads me to believe that they are really the same also.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:43 PM
i haven't seen anything about the pistons and it doesn't make sense. when all you need to do is change the hight of the head(more material on the deck or a thicker head gasket) to change the comp. this way you don't have so many diff parts for the same engine. more parts = more money = less profit. they try to make as many parts interchangeable as possible. it keeps costs low and profits up. but it mite be true. as for the intake i've heard there the same just made from different material. i can't remember the reason why.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:25 PM
i haven't seen anything about the pistons and it doesn't make sense. when all you need to do is change the hight of the head(more material on the deck or a thicker head gasket) to change the comp. this way you don't have so many diff parts for the same engine. more parts = more money = less profit. they try to make as many parts interchangeable as possible. it keeps costs low and profits up. but it mite be true. as for the intake i've heard there the same just made from different material. i can't remember the reason why.
Perhaps you are looking for cost savings in the wrong place. If running less compression allows Ford to substitute a hypereutectic piston instead of a forged one would they not see a substantial savings. Also a gasket thick enough to drop compression at those already high numbers might be prone to blown head-gaskets. Also increasing head chamber may disrupt the flow characteristics of the head. Just throwing things out there, who knows what they did and why?

Old 03-25-2011, 10:33 PM
I thought we had discussed it on here, but it was in another forum. The last post has the info on the pistons. http://www.f150forum.com/f70/5-0-mus...ference-85904/

Just for reference, my truck has has the cam timing (or an altered version) of the mustang. VCT is an awesome control. This thing shifts at 6500 and is still pulling even that high.

Last edited by 02reaper; 03-25-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:20 AM
ya i would like to see from Ford what they did. but what ever the 5.0L still kicks *** and cant wait to see what the aftermarket does with it.

Last edited by Captain Awesome; 03-26-2011 at 01:25 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:24 AM
I thought we had discussed it on here, but it was in another forum. The last post has the info on the pistons. http://www.f150forum.com/f70/5-0-mus...ference-85904/

Just for reference, my truck has has the cam timing (or an altered version) of the mustang. VCT is an awesome control. This thing shifts at 6500 and is still pulling even that high.
is that factory or custom tune.what kind of numbers you pulling

Old 03-26-2011, 02:03 AM
is that factory or custom tune.what kind of numbers you pulling
Don't have any dyno numbers yet. Not a factory tune. There are not many tuners that understand cam theory and design, and vice versa. The thread below sparked my interest so I had Shaun at AED send me an email tune. I worked a few days with him logging things to get everything ironed out. There are a lot of differences in the car and truck tunes, I mean, why wouldn't there be as most people buy the trucks for work duty and the cars for performance. Except for the compression, and truck headers, we have the same motor that the cars got. My tuner goes by the username 93pony in the links below.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...-question.html

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...7hp-424tq.html

Old 03-26-2011, 08:14 AM
Don't have any dyno numbers yet. Not a factory tune. There are not many tuners that understand cam theory and design, and vice versa. The thread below sparked my interest so I had Shaun at AED send me an email tune. I worked a few days with him logging things to get everything ironed out. There are a lot of differences in the car and truck tunes, I mean, why wouldn't there be as most people buy the trucks for work duty and the cars for performance. Except for the compression, and truck headers, we have the same motor that the cars got. My tuner goes by the username 93pony in the links below.

I thought a "loppy" idle is because the intake valve is opening early and the exhaust is being mixed with intake fuel charge and being pushed out the exhaust valve. Not so much a good thing for emissions .......

Old 03-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by Loki 5.0
I thought a "loppy" idle is because the intake valve is opening early and the exhaust is being mixed with intake fuel charge and being pushed out the exhaust valve. Not so much a good thing for emissions .......
My truck has no lope. Its idles and all just like it did the day I got it. Some of the mustang guys want the sound of a lopy cam without all the drivability quirks. Thats the thing about the new 5.0's, this can be tuned in with success. There are several threads on a few tuners just tuning for that lope at idle. Here is one of them now.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s....0-%28video%29

You have to look past some of the post's in this thread. Some guys just don't know what they are talking about. Only the duration of the cams can be adjusted in the tune, not the lift. To get a different lift, you would have to install a different camshaft. VCT can only be adjusted so far also, its not infinite both ways.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:07 PM
ya Ford even has a lope cam tune for the new Boss Mustang when you put in the red race key.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:30 PM

yes true most people buy trucks for work duty. but now days lots of people are buy 1/2 tones for there main vehicle. as it's more practical to have one that does everything. so it would be nice to have a truck from Factory were you could switch between work and street tune. Just like the Boss with it's street/race Tune and looking at the Tuner aftermarket i think it would be a very popular option.
well anyway keep us up to date with that tune i would like to see how it turns out.

Last edited by Captain Awesome; 03-26-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:00 PM
yes true most people buy trucks for work duty. but now days lots of people are buy 1/2 tones for there main vehicle. as it's more practical to have one that does everything. so it would be nice to have a truck from Factory were you could switch between work and street tune. Just like the Boss with it's street/race Tune and looking at the Tuner aftermarket i think it would be a very popular option.
well anyway keep us up to date with that tune i would like to see how it turns out.
I will. Been driving on the tune for about a month now. I'm hoping to get it on a dyno within the next few months to see how it compares to stock.

Quick Reply: 5star Tuning does AFE intake on 5.0