2009 - 2014 F-150

Ford Accessories are just to expensive along with their labor rates.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 11:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford Accessories are just to expensive along with their labor rates.

Wow, finally got an accessory price list break down and I'm not getting much from dealer.

I was just entertaining the thought of buying the OEM telescoping trailer mirrors, OEM Electric Brake Controller, and the Molded Splash Gards.

Got them to price the web on the products but the labor was just to expensive.

Trailer Electric Brake Controller was $185 but wanted $75 to reprogram the computer and couldn't put a price on the install as they never did one. They'd have to look into it. So it's automatically $260 w/o install. If I have to install it, I'll just put in my Prodigy which is the best aftermarket controller on the market anyhow.

Trailer Mirrors were $300/pair but they haven't done this, so they'd charge me hourly on their learning process to install them. A minimum of $100 to take door panels off and remove old mirrors, but if it involved more wiring than a simple harness swap, it would be more. I'll just get the removable **** Custom Tow Mirrors that slip on and look like a factory tow mirror. They are about $70 from a reputable dealer.

Molded Splash gards are $75/pair and $48 to install, not the greatest but I'm going to have it done as it'll keep the truck cleaner, look sharper, and to keep rocks from being thrown out onto my camper while I tow in gravel areas.

Well for $660, the factory mirrors and brake controller are just not worth it. To bad, if they were more reasonably priced along with labor rates, I may have bought them. I can do a lot with $660 .

Old 03-24-2011, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why would you pay to have mirrors and splash guards installed?

Old 03-24-2011, 11:52 PM
Mirrors literally take 20min a side. Anyone that can read can do it. Screw the dealership, be a man that deserves a truck, and do the work yourself. Also for mirrors, look at Tasca ford. I made more selling my tiny mirrors than I paid for the TT mirrors.

Last edited by JCU Delt Ox; 03-24-2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:25 AM
Yeah just do those things yourself. Mirrors take no more than taking off the door panels and the splash guards would take not time at all to put on. For the trailer brake go aftermarket with that they are cheaper and you can get better ones. I would also be cautious of a dealer that newer installed towing mirrors I mean mine in town installs lift kits and its a Ford dealer. On a side note those towing mirrors are cheap compared to ones around me they wanted $1200 for the pair...

Last edited by noregrets; 03-25-2011 at 01:30 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:31 AM
Get OEM parts from Tasca. Read articles on the forum/internet. Install Yourself.
Saved myself 800$ this way after totaling my rear bumper and step in Jan. Was actually the reason I started reading this forum=) It isnt as complicated as it may look. On some simpler upgrades, You actually may do a better job, because You will take time and do it carefully, unlike some butchers at the dealer.
Good luck on future mods=)

Old 03-25-2011, 07:42 AM
Originally Posted by JCU Delt Ox
be a man that deserves a truck, and do the work yourself.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:49 AM
One reason to get the Ford brake controller is that it works with the traction control and roll stability control electronics providing superior safety. I did not believe that it was that big a deal until I actually had mine hooked up and went out and tested it. I deliberately put things awry (in a safe parking lot), and the system settled it right down. Pretty neat, considering that after many hours behind the wheel on a long trip you might not react as quickly as you might expect in an emergency. Better safe than sorry. And.....You can get a break from your insurance company if you use the Ford controller for the trailer brakes.

That said, get it from Tasca, install it yourself (took me about an hour with a buddy "assisting" and holding the beverages) and have it programmed. The programming cost me $50.

If you are a bit apprehensive about doing it yourself, I would bet that someone you know would be happy to assist - most of us know someone that is always willing to help with modding a truck!!

Old 03-25-2011, 09:12 AM
Buy the weathertech mud guards and do it yourself... save yourself some money. As long as you have hands and a screwdriver you can do it.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:35 AM
I'm not installing myself because I don't have a garage and its in the mid 20s so Im willing to pay to have it done as long as its reasonable. I wanted this done now as I plan on camping in a few weeks. Otherwise I would do the work myself.

Last edited by Mike Up; 03-25-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by Mike Up
I'm not installing myself because I don't have a garage and its in the mid 20s so Im willing to pay to have it done as long as its reasonable. I wanted this done now as I plan on camping I'm a few weeks.otherwise I would do the work myself.
Check your PM if you haven't already...

Quick Reply: Ford Accessories are just to expensive along with their labor rates.