2009 - 2014 F-150

Locking center console

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Locking center console

This has to be the biggest waste not having a different key. What good is it to let somebody else have access to truck (dealer, valet, detail shop, etc.) and also have access to the "locked" console??? What is Ford thinking, valuables are safer inside locked console after somebody busts out the window looking for something?

Anyway, anybody ever change out the lock to use a different key?

Old 04-02-2011, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stormsearch
This has to be the biggest waste not having a different key. What good is it to let somebody else have access to truck (dealer, valet, detail shop, etc.) and also have access to the "locked" console??? What is Ford thinking, valuables are safer inside locked console after somebody busts out the window looking for something?

My Silverado also used the starter key for the locking glovebox, I do not think that this is an uncommon practice. I always thought of it as a place to store ipods, gf's purse, etc. No one can see it and even if the vehicle is broken into realistically those items wont be taken. I have used it more than a couple of times in that capacity.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:10 AM
use to in the older cars..... the trunk key locked your glove box.
not the iginition key

Old 04-04-2011, 12:48 PM
I see the point but personally I'd rather have one key for tailgate, ignition, and glove box. If I'm entrusting someone with the ignitition key I ought to trust them with the contents of the vehicle. Sending the truck through a full service car wash is another scenario where it might make sense but I'd just pull any valuables out if I was concerned. Probably the only time I would lock the center console would be if I had a reason to leave the cab unlocked yet secure some items. An unlikely scenario with keyless entry, but certainly don't want a separate key for the tailgate like the "old" days!

Old 04-05-2011, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by Stormsearch

Why? Lock the console, press in on the front edge, and lift up. Every F150 I tried this with opened right up with very little pressure, so I wouldn't recommend storing anything valuable in it unless someone comes up with a console lock mod.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If that's the case then it definitely is a waste

Old 04-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Some members have installed lockable, bolted down 'gun safes' into their center consoles.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:32 PM
I thought i was just missing the valet key... Since there isnt one apparently, the lock is pretty useless. It doesnt have to be valuables that you dont want people having access to. Id rather not have the detail guys see a bill or something with my address on it or have access to prescription pills that stay in the console. If I had to remove all the things from the console that Id rather people not be able to get to, Id have to load a bag everytime I get the truck washed or remember to take it all out at home then put it back afterwards. Pretty lame imo

Quick Reply: Locking center console