2009 - 2014 F-150

Weirdest Noise I've Ever Heard - Help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 11:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KazK
Probably cause there is a hot motor under there?
Okay, maybe I asked that question a little tongue-in-cheek....yeah, I kinda figured it had something to do with that whole "motor" situation behind the grille and the water and what-not getting sprayed on it.

LOL

Old 04-11-2011, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by broncoski
I had the same noise in my 04 early last fall. When the truck was cold. The cold temps in the morning mixed with not enough vacuum to hold the 4 wheel drive from engaging was the culprit. I let it go to long, and it ruined my hubs. Only did it with a little throttle, trying to lug a taller gear.
I'm going with either this one, or the heater hose in the cooling fan deal....what I'd imagine that to sound like in my head is pretty close.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:49 PM
Kinda sounds like the "IWE solenoid", I know its a issue on the 04-08 not sure about the newer models. This is just a guess. It is also known as the "Vacuum control module".

Old 10-27-2013, 12:00 AM
Originally Posted by Quiz
2010 SuperCrew Lariat 4WD...

At cruising speed, say 55mph...not on the throttle much, not slowing down, just cruising along and holding speed...

All of a sudden I get this noise coming from the front end that sounds like...well...best way I know to describe it is to imagine running over a section of chain link fence and dragging it along the pavement for 30-40 yards under the front axle. Then, after a few seconds, it stops. I don't notice any kind of rough ride, no stalling engine, no loss of performance....just sounds like there is a chain link fence hung under the front of the truck.

It happened once two weeks ago and I scratched my head, thought maybe I ran over something. Inspected as thoroughly as I could under the truck - All looks perfect. I chalked it up to "weird" and went on about my life. A couple of weeks go by, and boom, it does it again....this time on a different section of road. About 30 minutes later, it does it a third time. That was Friday. This is Sunday, and it hasn't done it sense.

I am thoroughly perplexed.

Any ideas?

I guess I will have to take it to the dealership, but I'm sure the won't be able to replicate it and it will be a wasted effort.

I know you submitted this a long time ago but I recently found I have the same noise in my 2010. Was just curious if you ever did find the cause. Saw lots of people had opinions but did any of them help
Thanks

Quick Reply: Weirdest Noise I've Ever Heard - Help?