2009 - 2014 F-150

Weirdest Noise I've Ever Heard - Help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 10:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weirdest Noise I've Ever Heard - Help?

2010 SuperCrew Lariat 4WD...

At cruising speed, say 55mph...not on the throttle much, not slowing down, just cruising along and holding speed...

All of a sudden I get this noise coming from the front end that sounds like...well...best way I know to describe it is to imagine running over a section of chain link fence and dragging it along the pavement for 30-40 yards under the front axle. Then, after a few seconds, it stops. I don't notice any kind of rough ride, no stalling engine, no loss of performance....just sounds like there is a chain link fence hung under the front of the truck.

It happened once two weeks ago and I scratched my head, thought maybe I ran over something. Inspected as thoroughly as I could under the truck - All looks perfect. I chalked it up to "weird" and went on about my life. A couple of weeks go by, and boom, it does it again....this time on a different section of road. About 30 minutes later, it does it a third time. That was Friday. This is Sunday, and it hasn't done it sense.

I am thoroughly perplexed.

Any ideas?

I guess I will have to take it to the dealership, but I'm sure the won't be able to replicate it and it will be a wasted effort.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:05 PM
Sounds like a possible torque converter shudder. Look that up on the net and see if symptoms seem the same.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:35 AM
I had a sound similar to that when I was towing my TT and purposely swerved to see how the anti sway worked. And yes I was on a log stretch of road with no one around. It made a strange sound that I couldn't associate with brakes coming on.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:21 AM
I have had a similar noise but coming from my rear end

Old 04-11-2011, 09:36 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 69 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Griff D
I have had a similar noise but coming from my rear end
Did you experience a bloated feeling, just before the noise?

Sorry, just had to!

Old 04-11-2011, 09:40 AM
I actually noticed the same thing coming from my rear end also. Noticed it for the first time yesterday. The only difference was that I was going about 20mph on a back road. I would accelerate to maybe 23mph and would let off and I would hear it for about one second then it would go away. I have never heard it before and never heard it since. If you find anything out let us know. Good luck.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:56 AM
Same exact thing here. Took it Ford and "couldn't duplicate" the problem. It hasn't done it for a few months now. I read someone else's issue with the "IAWs?" is that right? The solenoids that activate the 4WD through vacuum pressure was a culprit.

Good luck!

Trending Topics

Old 04-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by Quiz
2010 SuperCrew Lariat 4WD...

At cruising speed, say 55mph...not on the throttle much, not slowing down, just cruising along and holding speed...

All of a sudden I get this noise coming from the front end that sounds like...well...best way I know to describe it is to imagine running over a section of chain link fence and dragging it along the pavement for 30-40 yards under the front axle. Then, after a few seconds, it stops. I don't notice any kind of rough ride, no stalling engine, no loss of performance....just sounds like there is a chain link fence hung under the front of the truck.

It happened once two weeks ago and I scratched my head, thought maybe I ran over something. Inspected as thoroughly as I could under the truck - All looks perfect. I chalked it up to "weird" and went on about my life. A couple of weeks go by, and boom, it does it again....this time on a different section of road. About 30 minutes later, it does it a third time. That was Friday. This is Sunday, and it hasn't done it sense.

I am thoroughly perplexed.

Any ideas?

I guess I will have to take it to the dealership, but I'm sure the won't be able to replicate it and it will be a wasted effort.

My truck does the same thing, it does it every once in awhile and only last for a few seconds, and usually stops when I let off the gas. I took mine to the dealer 3 times and they cant find anything becouse they cant duplicate the noise. The bewst way I can describe it is that it sounds like a card in a biciycle spoke. to me it sounds like something is hitting the cooling fan. I also talked to someone else on this forum and they had the same issue and they said it was somthing to do with the heater hose hitting the cooling fan.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:02 AM
I had the same noise going about 70 on the freeway with my cruise control engaged. I pulled over on the side of the road to check it out but saw nothing. I am chalking it up to be poor aero dynamic design of the front end. I think the cause of this noise is the way the wind hits the front end. It has never happened to me on local roads, only on the freeway above 60 mph. Also it seems to only happen with a head wind.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Mine started making that dragging a chain link fence about 2 months ago as well. Now it does it all the time under a load. The catalytic converter is the problem on mine. When I lst off the gas it stops, when I give it gas it starts. Annoying as hell. Needs to be replaced

Old 04-11-2011, 10:05 PM
Wow....I never would have expected that so many others had similar "WTF Noises" as I call them. lol

So, I've got a bad torque converter, heater hose in the cooling fan, poor aerodynamics, lousy catalytic converter...AWESOME! Toss those in with my righteously cool 1-2 shifting tranny and we are WINNING!

I really don't want to go to the dealer, because I know how this is going to go. They are going to tell me they can't get it to do it and that I must have drank the bong water.

Ah, well.

I'll just keep dragging the chain link fence until something breaks.

Anybody else notice steam coming out from the front grille after you go through a drive-through car wash?

Old 04-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by Quiz

Anybody else notice steam coming out from the front grille after you go through a drive-through car wash?
Yup..... Not sure why..... Any ideas???

Old 04-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by 99and04f150
Yup..... Not sure why..... Any ideas???
Probably cause there is a hot motor under there?

Old 04-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by KazK
Probably cause there is a hot motor under there?
Is that what that temperature gauge in the dash is for??? Always wondered what that coolant reservoir was for.....

Old 04-11-2011, 10:41 PM
I had the same noise in my 04 early last fall. When the truck was cold. The cold temps in the morning mixed with not enough vacuum to hold the 4 wheel drive from engaging was the culprit. I let it go to long, and it ruined my hubs. Only did it with a little throttle, trying to lug a taller gear.

Quick Reply: Weirdest Noise I've Ever Heard - Help?