2009 - 2014 F-150

Bumper Grille

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 08:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bumper Grille

Okay fellas, I have searched and searched and can not find the thread that I know I saw a month or so ago. I am trying to do research on grilles to fill the wide opening in the middle of our front bumpers (09-11 F-150s). I have my EcoBoost on order, and have instructed the dealer to leave the license plate bracket off (in SC and it isn't required). Then all I will need is this bumper grille. I know about the intercooler, and I know that you aren't supposed to block it. So, I am looking for a grille that doesn't restrict the air flow too bad. I saw some where on these forums, a guy got an EcoBoost and said that his dealer had a filler grille for his bumper in stock. He had a picture of it and all...but now I can't seem to find it. By searching google and ebay I have found two options. One is your standard billet style (which I would want black) made by Carriage Works, and then there is this one on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-...Q5fAccessories
This ebay one looks like it may restrict a good bit of air to the intercooler.
I am looking for other options. Thanks!

Old 04-13-2011, 09:15 AM
I wouldn't even think of using the ebay version. Major airflow restriction there. I'm in the same boat, would like something there, but the ones available have a lot of air restriction built into them.

The CW would be the better option. Won't work for me though, as I have the chrome package XLT and my grill is different.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by F150 Man 4Eva
Okay fellas, I have searched and searched and can not find the thread that I know I saw a month or so ago. I am trying to do research on grilles to fill the wide opening in the middle of our front bumpers (09-11 F-150s).
https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...lle-guard.html

Old 04-13-2011, 10:04 AM
This is what I have ordered for my EB Platinum. Carriage Works 44383 (black). They also have it in chrome or polished aluminum. It is the only one I have found that looks like it will offer some protection while providing good airflow to the intercooler.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:37 PM
I've been looking all over for one of these too. After looking at many of them, I actually ordered one of these off ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170627694232&viewitem= &sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AVRI
(Looks identical to the one pictured in the last post)

I figured for $41 I couldn't go wrong, and if it was a dud I could just toss it. It arrived a couple of days ago, and I was pleasantly surprised. Craftsmanship is very good. I ordered mine with polished face, and that was the only part that was less than acceptable to me. They had over buffed it and pitted the faces. Since I work metal for a living it was an easy fix to go over it with a 400 grit belt on my grinder, then a light buff.
It does attach via four "L" brackets to the plastic interior of the bumper opening, which I'm not sure I like. For me one of these bumper grills is all about protection, and I'm not sure mounting to the plastic would work well if I crash into a pheasant at 75mph!. My new truck is still a few days out from the dealer, but once it gets here I'll see how this grill fits, and if necessary build some mounts that will allow me to mount it to the framing behind the bumper.
What I found interesting about many of the dealers for these products, and even Ebay is that prior to a lot of the EBs hitting the streets, these things were dirt cheap....now some of these outfits have tripled or quadrupled the prices of them! About a month ago I was tracking one on ebay for $45....when they re-listed the item, they increased the price to $195!

I have a friend who got his EB about a month ago, and purchased a bumper grill from Carriage Works......comparing it to the one I got off ebay, I think the Ebay version is better overall (heavier gauge materials and better welds) for less than a 1/3 of what he paid through a local dealer.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:45 PM
That doesn't really help me..I am aware of the Carriage works products.

Ed..thanks for that link, and for your opinion on the grille vs. the Carriage works. I will consider that grille, for sure.

Still no luck in finding the post I was speaking of where the guy got the grille from his dealer when he picked his truck up.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:12 PM
AH HA! WA LA! By chance, someone replied to the thread that I could not find before. But bad news...it looks like that bumper grille I was trying to find the picture of in this forum, is the same as the one I posted the link to on Ebay.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/v6...showed-up.html

Scroll down in the original post to the last picture. That is the grille that I thought I wanted. Now I believe that is the same as the one on Ebay I found and posted the link to. I don't like the look soo much on Ebay (won't match 2011 FX4 grille too good, and it maybe a little restrictive). Looks like I might go with the billet style on Ebay that Ed posted up about. (Not Carriage Works)

Old 04-21-2011, 12:40 AM
The eBay version is fine. I'm running one upper and lower on my 2010 with no problems

Old 04-23-2011, 01:08 PM
That is great looking fill. However, I would like to remove the 2 plastic "what ever you call them" and have the grill fill the the space. I thinking you might be able to take a 09-11 lower grill from a harley davidson bumper and modify. Any thoughts?

Old 04-23-2011, 01:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Harley lower grill looks pretty restrictive too.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:02 PM
Anyone that has installed the ebay billet have a picture they can share?

Old 04-25-2011, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by SkiDood
Anyone that has installed the ebay billet have a picture they can share?
I have one in my album upper and lower grill. ebay version. looks great

Old 04-25-2011, 04:56 PM
Ed--How'd the bumper grill work out for you?

Old 04-25-2011, 05:55 PM
i really like it. there may be some trimming of the grill because they don't quite fit exactly right so i had to trim both sides slightly to get the right arch and fitment but overall looks great

edit: the bumper grill since installed has not shown any air restrictions. the motor runs the same and temp wise is exactly the same. no problems at all.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:09 PM
I bought one of these off ebay and not very happy with how it fits. I'm new to installing an aftermarket grill of any kind so maybe this is standard but there were no instructions and it certainly doen't fit real well. The brackets that attach to plastic on the sides of the opening leave a gap of 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the mounts on the grill. Any advice on how I'm supposed to install this thing? I assume I should put a spacer between the bracket rather than pull the plastic in and I agree with Ed not very strong... having second thoughts wish someone made something that was designed better for this particular application. So, advice anyone that has installed this?

Quick Reply: Bumper Grille