2009 - 2014 F-150

Ford OEM Tow Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 11:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blueovelboy
ya i did the same switch and my puddle lamp's worked fine!
before

and after
Thanks for that picture. The tow mirrors do look better than the standard, for sure. They really make the truck look more rugged for doing work, than just getting grocercies.

It'll be really nice to have puddle lamps again. The wife will really appreciate it since she has to 'climb' in the truck.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Up
Thanks for that picture. The tow mirrors do look better than the standard, for sure. They really make the truck look more rugged for doing work, than just getting grocercies.

It'll be really nice to have puddle lamps again. The wife will really appreciate it since she has to 'climb' in the truck.
ya thay do give it the man factor as i call it! but just a reminder dont get to close to the parked cars or you ll bang mirrors with some one lol. i just slammed my mirror on my nabors truck shattered his and folded mine in

Old 04-23-2011, 03:16 PM
Got my Tow Mirrors, Brake Controller, and my molded mud guards installed. He did a really good job. Everything looks excellent, $400 ($300+ $100 labor) for the Mirrors installed and $220 ($185 + $35 labor/activation) for the TBC installed. Mud gards were $120 ($75 + $45 Labor) installed.

Pics to come soon. Didn't have time to install mud guards since I'm working a lot of overtime. Hard to swallow the labor cost on the mud guards but at least it's done now.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:35 PM
Here's the pics.

The new mirrors and flaps make it look ready to work, instead of grocery getter.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:12 PM
mike up that looks good. next to my truck i think yours is a close second in my book to perfect lol!

Old 04-23-2011, 08:34 PM
mike up that looks good. next to my truck i think yours is a close second in my book to perfect lol!
Thanks, back at ya!

Old 04-23-2011, 08:37 PM
A comparison of my truck with the different mirrors.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:07 PM
like i said its got the man factor!

Old 04-23-2011, 11:29 PM
Got my Tow Mirrors, Brake Controller, and my molded mud guards installed. He did a really good job. Everything looks excellent, $400 ($300+ $100 labor) for the Mirrors installed and $220 ($185 + $35 labor/activation) for the TBC installed. Mud gards were $120 ($75 + $45 Labor) installed.

Pics to come soon. Didn't have time to install mud guards since I'm working a lot of overtime. Hard to swallow the labor cost on the mud guards but at least it's done now.
Hey bud, you went to the dealer to get these options installed? Hmmm... I may consider route too. I didn't know the dealer can install after the sale.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by dogtired107
Hey bud, you went to the dealer to get these options installed? Hmmm... I may consider route too. I didn't know the dealer can install after the sale.
ya but its so easy to do your self!

Old 04-24-2011, 02:30 AM
ya but its so easy to do your self!
Only if you have the time and an enclosed space away from the weather.

The Tech took 3 hours to put the mirrors on, install and program the TBC, and install the Mud guards. Actually after talking to the Tech, the mirror installation on the 2009 -2011 is easiest as the prior models needed the speakers taken out and the such.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:55 AM
TBC Install

Mike Up,

Where did they install TBC? In the dash or does it mount like a normal brake controller? I just picked up my 2011 Supercrew and will need to get the tow mirrors and a brake controller installed and I came across your post. On a side note I tow the exact camper except its a 2007. Thanks.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:12 AM
A comparison of my truck with the different mirrors.

So those original mirrors don't extend at all?

Old 05-03-2011, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by BlueLiner21
Mike Up,

Where did they install TBC? In the dash or does it mount like a normal brake controller? I just picked up my 2011 Supercrew and will need to get the tow mirrors and a brake controller installed and I came across your post. On a side note I tow the exact camper except its a 2007. Thanks.
The brake controller is mounted where the drivers side change bin(the cubby hole to the left of the radio) is mounted on the newer vehicles.

No, the original F150 mirrors didn't extend at all, but they had slip on covers that added a convex mirror.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
So those original mirrors don't extend at all?
Unfortunately not. While the stock mirrors were bigger than some previous year mirrors, they don't stick out far enough or have a built in convex mirror (like the 2011).

However I have the Tow-N-See Convex Trailer Tow Mirrors, and with a smaller section of glass, on coming traffic looks like ants and it's really hard to judge passing and the such when you have any length to your trailer. The Tow-N-See Mirrors were fine with the Pop Up camper, but not the travel trailer camper.

Also, since those mirrors were suction cups and covered the regular truck mirrors, you really needed the convex glass since the flat glass version were to small to see all around you.

The **** Custom mirrors that are slip on mirrors, only have a flat glass mirror, no convex. These were the mirrors I was going to purchase until I decided on the more useful OEM trailer Tow Mirrors. These mirrors offer the convex strip on the bottom so you can see far around the sides and see even your wheels, which helps in tight campsites. The top mirror is mounted higher than the original and allows a view of the top of the camper, which is extremely helpful for low hanging limbs that'll tear up the front of a camper.

On top of that, the puddle lamps are great. They light up a large area and are much more useful than the driver's side self dimming feature of the standard truck mirrors (or at least IMO).

While I have no idea if he's correct or not, the service writer said putting a stick on convex mirror on to the originals is not recommended with the heated glass, as it could cause damage. As I said, I'm not sure about this as I was going to email Ford directly on the issue, but now that I have the OEM Tow Mirrors, no sense in that.

Last edited by Mike Up; 05-03-2011 at 06:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Ford OEM Tow Mirrors