2009 - 2014 F-150

Stowable bed extender and Bedrug combo - anyone have this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stowable bed extender and Bedrug combo - anyone have this?

I added both and find that the extender puts a lot of pressure on the bedrug. My only concern is for stowing - and the "legs" of the extender wearing on the bedrug. I pulled off the rubber caps and that made it better but still its pretty tight. Was thinking about cutting off the plastic nubs that the rubber caps went over and figure that would be just right but sure to hate to have to cut up the brand new extender.

The other alternative is to release the extender when stowing it to take pressure off.

Anyone else using this combination I'm interested in what (if anything) you've done about it.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Can you post pictures? I was going to add both of these too but now I'm not so sure.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:13 PM
I have a Ford bedmat at the extender and have run it both way. Cups off with some pressure on the mat or un clipped. Both works fine.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by SkiDood
I added both and find that the extender puts a lot of pressure on the bedrug. My only concern is for stowing - and the "legs" of the extender wearing on the bedrug. I pulled off the rubber caps and that made it better but still its pretty tight. Was thinking about cutting off the plastic nubs that the rubber caps went over and figure that would be just right but sure to hate to have to cut up the brand new extender.

The other alternative is to release the extender when stowing it to take pressure off.

Anyone else using this combination I'm interested in what (if anything) you've done about it.
I have the same thing. Took the rubber boots off and let it be for now.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Me Too

I have a BedRug with the factory extender. Took the rubber caps off. The nubs are leaving small indentations in the carpet but not something I can't live with

Paul

Old 04-21-2011, 01:25 PM
Here's a pic not sure how well it depicts the problem but you can see the "nub" left after taking the rubber bumper off. I think if I cut it off, the bottom of the extender will sit flat on the rug on won't put pressure on it. If/when I do that I'll post the results. Don't get me wrong, its not a major problem, but I'm worried that I'll be stowing/deploying the extender a lot and eventually a wear line will develop where the nub rubs (there's a punch line for someone) that will look bad over the years.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:59 AM
That makes sense. So long as it's a "looks" thing I can live with it(: Thanks for posting the pic!

Old 12-18-2011, 07:22 AM
I'm about to install a Bedrug in my truck this week, and am worried about the bed extender too. Are you able to lock the bed extender into the retracted/folded position by just removing the rubber feet? Or did you have to trim down the nubs too?

Got any pics of your final solution?

Old 12-18-2011, 02:31 PM

I've got a bedrug but not a bed extender. But I would put those furniture carpet spacer/slider things under those nubs. It would spread out the pressure of the nubs and probably not leave much of an indention, and would make it easily glide across the bedrug without scraping/tearing it.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:50 PM
I've got the plastic (new) bed extender. Goods and bads.

Nice that it stows away, unlike the old aluminum style, but they really are a flimsy POS.

They aren't worth $50, let alone the $350 FoMoCo want's for them.

For me, they work out great cuz I can't lift over 10lbs, but if you are relying on it being a REAL bed-extender, well, FUGETABOUTIT!!!

The old style (that didn't stow) was a huge PIA if you happened to have it in your bed when you needed to haul something.

Good and bads.

I gotz the FoMoCo plastic bed liner with provisions for the bed extender feet.

(I certainly don't want anything in my bed that might make it look bad, like indents in the carpet and GOD FORBID, scratches and places where the polish might have rubbed off.)
BBBBBBBBBBWWWWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Last edited by High-ster; 12-18-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by BMWBig6
just removing the rubber feet? Or did you have to trim down the nubs too?
I have a BedRug and the factory bed extender. I just removed the rubber feet and kept the nubs. They will press down into the padding of the rug.

After about 1 1/2 years of use, I have depressions where the nubs are in the bedrug, but they are not objectionable and probably would come out if I removed the extender.

The extender will lock in the normal positions.

I did put the feet into a safe place come the day I decide to sell the truck and need to put it back to original configuration.

Go for it, it will work fine

Paul

Old 12-20-2011, 04:30 AM
I had a 2008 f-250 that had the factory bed extender and a bedrug I installed the first week I owned it. Had that truck 4 years and the rubber feet never wore through the bedrug. Yes it left dents in it but that is where it sat while store, in the dents. If I unfolded for a bit, the dents would go away.
I now have a 2011 F-150 and it has a bed rug and the factory bed extender and I left the rubber feet on it. I can operated the extender as intended with the feet attached. The extender locks in place as you know so I don't see it doing anything but putting dents in the carpet where it sits when stoed. If you are able to operate the extender(stoed and deployed) with the feet on, which you should be able to do, why would you take them off?
As a side note, one comment was the F-150 bed extender is cheap, I'll say the bed extender I had on my 08 F-250 was of better quality and I liked how it was more squared out to the edges of the tailgate. The F-150 extender is rounded and doesn't allow use of the whole tailgate.
Just my .02

Old 12-20-2011, 09:25 AM
I have the rug and extender also but never took off the rubber nubs. Ill probably take them off soon.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:33 AM
OK thanks everyone, I haven't installed the BedRug yet (waiting for some warmer weather), but will check if mine still operates fine with the feet left on. I don't think I'll like having deep impressions in the foam, so I may still end up removing the feet if that relieves some pressure on the locking mechanism too.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:40 AM
I took the rubber feet off last night and cut the plastic nubs off with a body air saw. Its a much better fit now. I definitly suggest doing this with the bedrug.

Quick Reply: Stowable bed extender and Bedrug combo - anyone have this?