2009 - 2014 F-150

Red Summit - Build Thread (Pictures!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 11:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red Summit - Build Thread (Pictures!)

Hello! Well after a long F150online forum sabbatical, I'm back. I've decided to create a build thread that I'll update as progress is made. In some regards, it will likely mimic marshal's new here thread. <- best looking truck other than mine

Ok well on to the build:

[stock]

• First up was the Gotts mod, since I've already written about it, I'll just post a link:

Gotts Mod

• Then the Grille guard:

• Next was the level kit:

[before]

[after]

• Now to the most recent addition...tires!

They are 35x12.50 Toyo Open Country M/T's mounted on the stock 18" FX4 rims:

That's all for now

EDIT: corrected problem with pics not showing up...

Last edited by ncTidalWave; 05-12-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:18 AM
Did you put bilsteins and the 3 inch block like marshall too?

Very cool truck!
How much louder and rougher are those toyo mt's? How do they perform in different enviroments? any rubbing?

Old 04-27-2011, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by dejong1
Did you put bilsteins and the 3 inch block like marshall too?

Very cool truck!
How much louder and rougher are those toyo mt's? How do they perform in different enviroments? any rubbing?
Thanks man!

Regarding the level kit, I used a rough country 2.5" spacer in the front and 1" blocks that stacked on top of the stock blocks (for around 3" total back block).

I just got the tires recently, so I have no idea how they perform offroad I intend on fixing this ignorance soon though They definitely are louder than the stock tires, but it's nothing unbearable, and I find it not much worse than other all-terrain tires, IMHO. They ride great, handling is what I expect from an offroad tire; meaning they "wonder" a little at higher speed, absorb impacts great, and accelerate/brake a little slower.

Today it rained here in NC, and they seemed to perform great on the wet surface. That's one reason I went with them over the BFG KM2; the Toyo's actually have siping in the lugs to help out on wet surfaces.

I did have to trim the plastic just in front of, and behind, the front tires. Nothing huge though. As far as the tire fit...it's tight...very tight. The tire has about a 5mm clearance between itself and the A-arm. BUT they don't rub at all, so I'm happy.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:34 AM
Great looking truck! Congratulations!

Old 04-27-2011, 12:55 AM
Originally Posted by ncTidalWave
Thanks man!

Regarding the level kit, I used a rough country 2.5" spacer in the front and 1" blocks that stacked on top of the stock blocks (for around 3" total back block).

I just got the tires recently, so I have no idea how they perform offroad I intend on fixing this ignorance soon though They definitely are louder than the stock tires, but it's nothing unbearable, and I find it not much worse than other all-terrain tires, IMHO. They ride great, handling is what I expect from an offroad tire; meaning they "wonder" a little at higher speed, absorb impacts great, and accelerate/brake a little slower.

Today it rained here in NC, and they seemed to perform great on the wet surface. That's one reason I went with them over the BFG KM2; the Toyo's actually have siping in the lugs to help out on wet surfaces.

I did have to trim the plastic just in front of, and behind, the front tires. Nothing huge though. As far as the tire fit...it's tight...very tight. The tire has about a 5mm clearance between itself and the A-arm. BUT they don't rub at all, so I'm happy.
So you have had those tires on for a whole day and havnt gone offroad with them? what a crime lol jk I cant wait to hear how they. I am pretty sure they wont disappoint. Do they vibrate at high speeds?

Old 04-27-2011, 08:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking good man, welcome back!

- NCSU

Old 04-27-2011, 09:18 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Looking good!

Old 04-27-2011, 10:09 AM
It looks GREAT!

Old 04-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks man!

Not meaning to nit pick, but the factory blocks are 1 1/4, so adding 1" gives ya 2 1/4 total. Less rake than a 3" block... whick I prefer anyways.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by canadianelbow
Not meaning to nit pick....
yeah you were!

- NCSU

Old 04-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Mmmmmm delicious

You should paint your wheels grey

Old 04-27-2011, 07:48 PM

Thanks for all the compliments guys!

Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
Looking good man, welcome back!

- NCSU
Thanks man! It's good to be back. I take it from your signature you're still having fun diving?

Originally Posted by marshal
Mmmmmm delicious

You should paint your wheels grey
Thanks, marshal

Old 05-12-2011, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by dejong1
So you have had those tires on for a whole day and havnt gone offroad with them? what a crime lol jk I cant wait to hear how they. I am pretty sure they wont disappoint. Do they vibrate at high speeds?
Sorry for the delay, I've been out of town. They are incredible offroad. I can go places in 2wd that I couldn't get in 4wd combined with the stocks tires! They don't vibrate at all at high speeds. Excellent tires IMHO.

Off topic, my gas millage has suffered, but not as much as I thought. I've dropped from ~16.5 to ~15.5. Which isn't too bad. Oh, and they are really loud haha, I didn't think so when I first got them, but yeah, they are loud. But I like that.

Last edited by ncTidalWave; 05-12-2011 at 12:46 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:37 AM
What kind of brush guard did you put on? Westin?

Old 05-12-2011, 09:43 PM
Thanks man! It's good to be back. I take it from your signature you're still having fun diving?
Yeah man, still living the dream. Probably going out to San Fran for a couple weeks this summer, should be good times.

- NCSU

Quick Reply: Red Summit - Build Thread (Pictures!)