2009 - 2014 F-150

2010 Transmission TSB

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The instructions for the "Drive Cycle" (called the "Adaptive Shift Strategy Learn" ) are in TSB 10-25-13.

In my case, I have the Hypertech E-Con, but as soon as I got it, and plugged it in to the computer, they upgraded it free to a Max-Energy, not that I needed it, but it was a free upgrade at the time I bought it.

I made another long trip today to see Mom. lots of highway, and lots of bumper to bumper in Dallas.

After all the other times of the horrible clanking and clunking we've had before, especially in bumper to bumper traffic...the wife says..."your truck sure is shifting smooth these days"!! And boys, if the wife can tell...well, then there must be a drastic change!

Anyway, I dont know if all of the "tuner / programmers" have the capability to clear the KAM and adaptive learning tables or not, but the guy from Hypertech, said, "oh yeah, ya gotta do the drive cycle after loading or unloading the "tune".
And again, why it's not in the Hypertech instructions, I'm not sure.

Anyway, and in summary, I don't sell "snake oil" and am not claiming to know more than your local dealer (disclaimer, disclaimer), all I'm saying is that the adaptive computer CAN SHIFT SMOOTHLY...most of you have seen it. If it's only lasting a few weeks or a month...MAYBE it's because the adaptive shift learn wasn't done EXACTLY properly, and you MAY be able to fix this yourself. That's all.

And again, to Ford, I'd say ..."write a program that copies and pastes the adaptive learn to the entire database...then lock it from further learning. Cause after a few weeks it learns some really bad habits!!

Old 05-08-2011, 09:56 PM
I have been dealing with this issue since 5k miles back in September. Now that I have 20k the problem still exists. Multiple TSB's, memory resets and finally replacing the mecatronics in my tranny. All have failed to remedy the problem. After the mecatronics replacement the field service rep indicated that he doubted it would fix the problem and suggested I wait for a possible software update. Needless to say, I was not thrilled and have decided to go the "buyback" route. It's a real shame, other than this issue it's a perfect truck. My only hope is that issue has been resolved for 2011.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by tritonblue
I have been dealing with this issue since 5k miles back in September. Now that I have 20k the problem still exists. Multiple TSB's, memory resets and finally replacing the mecatronics in my tranny. All have failed to remedy the problem. After the mecatronics replacement the field service rep indicated that he doubted it would fix the problem and suggested I wait for a possible software update. Needless to say, I was not thrilled and have decided to go the "buyback" route. It's a real shame, other than this issue it's a perfect truck. My only hope is that issue has been resolved for 2011.
On that note, I was so frustrated with mine that I had mentioned this same thing to the dealer. And I understand that they did indeed make changes to the clutch packs on the 2011...mainly in the 1-2. Something about a "one way" slipper if I recall. But still..."no admitted problem with the earlier models"!!
Certainly, I would think that a new 1-2 clutch could solve the harsh downshifts that in my case sounded like it was going to pull the tranny out of the truck...but..."hard parts" rarely heal themselves, then break, then heal themselves again.
Because my case falls into the category of shifting smooth as butter (for a few weeks) after every computer reset, it would seem to indicate that the "hard parts" (pumps, solenoids, clutches, u-joints etc) are CAPABLE of working, and that the issue is a control issue. Moreover, I've talked to several guys on the street, and at the car wash, and so on, that have no issue at all with the same engine / transmission in the same year model as mine.
I agree that if ya pay that much for a truck and Ford can't make it perform as it should for it's intended and advertised purpose, then they need to replace it. This aint no 3 dollar comic book here that ya take a chance on and throw away if ya don't like it!

Old 05-09-2011, 07:44 PM
If I take my truck to the dealer with the TSB do I have to pay for a reflash and any work that needs to be done? Im all stock 2010 with full warranty intact still. Im shifting hard and it sometimes wont downshift when I stomp on it and its a little hard going from park to reverse.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:01 PM
Well...in my case, I told them there was a transmission issue. The service writer said "there are a couple of TSBs that may apply to your truck to fix that". ( I already knew this of course but didn't let on at first) So, If the TSBs apply to your model then of course any "drive yoke lube", or "transmission reflash" is under warranty...if not, then you still have a service issue and of course that's under warranty too. ( depending when your truck was actually built, there may be as many as 3 different TSBs that cover the hard shift, bump when slowing or stopped, or hard shifting and shudder" issues)
It's ALWAYS easier for them and cheaper too, to just mess with the computer, so chances are that's what they will do first ( that is, if there isn't fluid dripping from your truck, or parts dragging behind it).
Every service writer is different. See first if the TSBs really do apply to your truck, and of course always ( like your Windows computer) get the latest updates. BUT...FAILING THAT, talk to the guy and see if he thinks just clearing the memory and doing a PROPER drive cycle will work for you...under warranty of course. If you have a drivability issue they will try to address it, and of course if it's still within the warranty period, there shouldn't be any issue at all. It's just a matter of deciding how best to address your particular problem. Either way, TSB or not, you should take it in. Part of what you paid for that beautiful truck was built in to the warranty costs, so use it.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:10 PM
Thanks. Ive never had an issue with a Ford before that wasnt caused by myself and a mudhole. Now that Im more mature and I dont take my trucks off the pavement I can actually use my warranty. Ha.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:09 AM
Had it done twice, back to the same issue again. I'm glad someone used their brain instead of the dopes at the dealership to fix the issue, it shows promise and I'm thinking less of selling my truck now. This is my chief concern with this truck, aside from the lousy leather seats.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:26 PM
I went yesterday and got the problem solved. They drove the truck with me about 10 miles using all types of techniques, then they filled up my gas tank for free and brought it back to the dealer. They put it on this computer and did some stuff ( not ure what it was as I was watching from outside the shop) and then they gave it back. They checked for leaking, abnormal noises and were extremely thourough. My truck now drives like it should. No more problems. I have a newfound confidence in my dealer.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:02 PM
so you had the hard shifting problem...and the dealer didn't change any parts in the tranny, then after a computer interface (of some sort)...it's fixed.

So then. Someone might deduce from this, that the transmission IS capable of shifting right...without being replaced.

And, it might also prove to be a great experiment...in what happens when they clear the computer and dont do a drive cycle...which might help me prove or disprove my own therory.

Did they drive it for about 15 minutes after the computer thing?
And does your copy of the work order say they upgraded the TCM program? Or that they did any TSB? All of this would be interesting information if we could get it!

Some dealers don't give a work order when they do transmission work...'cause it proves that you did the same service a multiple of times!! And we all know what that can lead to!!

OK I'm just kiddin' on that part.

Last edited by The Patman; 05-11-2011 at 02:04 PM. Reason: My spelling / typing is horrible!
Old 05-11-2011, 03:27 PM
Yes they had a TSB, which they pulled up on their computer. I didnt provide any info except that it shifted hard and wrong. They did have me drive it with them for around 20 minutes afterwards to see how I liked it (which i assume was the computer relearning my habits) and then they gave me a reciept and wok order which I misplaced so I cant offer any info on whether they did a TCM. Iam assuming that as with many other things they tried to use the least aggressive method to start with and it worked so Im very pleased with my dealer and theyre service, attention to detail and promptness. Another reason why I drive Fords and will never buy from another dealer.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:09 PM
That's great, I really like to see that it can be fixed WITHOUT transmission parts being replaced. That proves that it's a "control" issue. And can be fixed through programing ( at least for a short time, hopefully forever!). Good luck with it. Glad you're happy with it. I know how much better I felt about the money I spent on this thing once I got the tranny fixed!!
You'll let us know ( in this thread ) if it comes back wont you?
And it would sure be nice to know which TSB it was? ( so the rest of us can ask about it if we have the same issue)

Last edited by The Patman; 05-11-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:07 PM
Ill post another comment in the future if theres any problems that arise again. And again I wasnt the one that found the TSB, the dealer did, and they didnt provide the info. Sorry.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Interesting. I've got almost 40k on my 12/09 built 2010 Screw with no issues. I get a funny shift into fourth when cold, but it's one time cruising thru town.
I notice my tranny is always smooth, and it downshifts nicely when slowing down, which is real evident with my MBRP excentuating it.
I notice, though, my tranny hates my Troyer and PHP tunes. They are extremely hard for easy driving, unless I am really on the go pedal, them they are smooth.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by The Patman
so you had the hard shifting problem...and the dealer didn't change any parts in the tranny, then after a computer interface (of some sort)...it's fixed.

So then. Someone might deduce from this, that the transmission IS capable of shifting right...without being replaced.

And, it might also prove to be a great experiment...in what happens when they clear the computer and dont do a drive cycle...which might help me prove or disprove my own therory.

Did they drive it for about 15 minutes after the computer thing?
And does your copy of the work order say they upgraded the TCM program? Or that they did any TSB? All of this would be interesting information if we could get it!

Some dealers don't give a work order when they do transmission work...'cause it proves that you did the same service a multiple of times!! And we all know what that can lead to!!

OK I'm just kiddin' on that part.
Got me curious so I just checked my work order. The service manager told me they updated the software but the work order says different.

Automatic Transmission Hours: 1.30
Hard shift between first and second gear
see SSM 21470
Road test verified concern IDS test No Codes check Oasis
Performed Adaptive Drive Cycle Road test reroad test OK

Could explain why I did not see any MPG impact as mentioned earlier.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:40 PM
I would like to try this remedy on my 09 Screw, does anyone know which hypertech model to get?

Will disconnecting my battery for 60 minutes clear the KAM?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2010 Transmission TSB