2009 - 2014 F-150

2010 Transmission TSB

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You shouldnt need a programmer to remedy the problem. If your truck is under warranty, take it to your local dealer and have them plug it in.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:30 PM
I used a hypertech e-con, but it had been upgraded to a Max Energy.

They told me at Hypertech that any time you program or reprogram, it clears memory and you need to do a drive cycle. It may be the same with any programmer.

Now then, it's true that the dealer can clear the adaptive learning memory...and true that they can clear the Keep Alive Memory ( KAM)...but that's not the issue...will they do the drive cycle exactly as is described in the TSB? That's the issue. If you do it yourself, you can be sure it was done right.

That's the question. They've cleared mine twice, but failed to realize the importance of the "drive cycle" and how important it is. Ya can't just clear the KAMs and give it back to the customer. Ya can't just clear the KAMs and just drive it around the parking lot once or twice.

There is a specific set of instructions for how to do this "drive cycle" thing, that includes temperatures, speeds, coast down times etc. It's not just a drive around the parking lot. It's doesn't call for reverse either. So when ya back it out of the service bay...you are already outside of the specs! If ya finish clearing the KAMs after the truck has sat there all day and gotten cold...you're out of specs. If ya drive it around to warm it up then do the drive cycle...you're out of spec.

It's kinda like gettin married but forgettin one tiny thing...a little thing that seems trivial...the ring.

Clear the KAMs as much as you like, but if ya don't do the drive cycle "correctly" you'll be clearing the KAMs...as much as you like.

All of this is just to say, it's not the clearing of the KAMs that is important, it's the drive cycle that comes after it.

Clearing the KAMs doesn't fix the problem ( in my experience) we only clear the KAMs to make a place to put drive cycle data.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Thanks Pat, I will pursue the fix on my own since I am out of warranty.

As a rule of thumb, I try to avoid the dealer as much as humanly possible. I have had 3 or 4 experiences with the dealer and was not impressed.

Quick Reply: 2010 Transmission TSB