2009 - 2014 F-150

Hows the a/c

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive got the center console and yes, it is a/c air that comes out the back, but if they are both open, it doesnt really help to cool the cab any faster. Ive been playing a strategic game of opening and closing vents to cool things off. When ALL the vents are open, it just seems like by the time air reaches my face, its completely warm already.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:26 PM
I have no complaints with my 09's "digital" A/C system's efficiency (other than having to fiddle with the temp setting to "normalize" it with the ambient temps to make it do what I want it do). In fact, it does get way too chilly for me now and then.

And this is in Southern California. With a Black truck. That has Black/Sienna Brown leather interior that gets super HOT quickly after parking it in the sun.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Heres my take..

only cars I have owned with worse AC than my '11 Ecoboost were both of my '05 F150s

'02 f150 - AC was awesome!
#1 '05 F150 - AC was Miserable
#2 '05 F150 - AC was just as miserable
'07 F150 - Slightly better than '05's but still sub par
'11 F150 - Slightly better than '07, but really i attribute that to white color and remote start this time around..

'08 Infiniti G37 - AC is awesome!

This is in Arizona weather.. 115-120F in the summer

Old 07-18-2011, 12:25 PM
I must amend my earlier observation.

Out of curiosity from this thread, I set the A/C temp to lowest at 60 degrees to see just how cold it would really get and I wasn't impressed.

Now, the ambient temperature was 78 degrees and I was driving along a long residential road so my speed was approximately 25 MPH. Not sure if any of that had an affect on how the A/C works, but my 2003 Expy could blow frigid air on command (temp set to 60 degrees).

On the other hand, when I really needed to be cooled down on 90+ degree weather, it hasn't let me down so I'm not sure what to make of this.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by bushtree
Heres my take..

only cars I have owned with worse AC than my '11 Ecoboost were both of my '05 F150s

'02 f150 - AC was awesome!
#1 '05 F150 - AC was Miserable
#2 '05 F150 - AC was just as miserable
'07 F150 - Slightly better than '05's but still sub par
'11 F150 - Slightly better than '07, but really i attribute that to white color and remote start this time around..

'08 Infiniti G37 - AC is awesome!

This is in Arizona weather.. 115-120F in the summer
You must have an issue. My 11 blows the air so cold I need to turn it up. We're in the high 90s right now with very high humidity, heat index of 100+. I have no complaints.

Only addition is 20% tint to driver/passenger doors.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:58 PM
after tracking my a/c output for a few days with a vent thermometer I have decided that it just takes some time with a cabin that large. The lowest my a/c air ever hit was 46 and that was at night. Usually during the day it would hit 50 after about 5 minutes of driving and then after another 15 minutes or so it would bottom out at 48.

Our temperatures have been in the high 90's but the humidity pushes the heat index into the upper 100's, hitting 115 last week during the peak of the day.

Those are just my observations that i took over a few days logging it everytime i drove my truck.

Hope it helps

Old 07-18-2011, 09:16 PM
The a/c on my 2010 is fairly sub-par as well. Seems that more people with the auto climate control have less problems though, not sure if there is really a difference. The truck just seems absorb way more heat than it can handle. I am, however, getting my 20% tint done this weekend I'm really thinking that it will make a huge difference.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:43 AM
The issue with how big the cabin is, has nothing to do with output vent temp. Output vent temp is a function of how much can the a/c system cool the air as it passes by the evap. In my case, I have been tracking my vent temp for a year with a thermo. I have it set on regular a/c. Because I want it to bring in fresh air, not recirculate. Now, that should be the hardest thing for it to do, because on max it recirculates the cabin air, and should therefore eventually cool it down.
If I take off with it on regular a/c, on a hot day, it won't get past 60 degrees vent temp. That is not nearly cold enough do any good at all. If I idle, it gets worse. The other thing is that there is virtually no water dripping out of the bottom, which tells me that it isn't doing anything. If I put it on Max A/C, it will eventually get down to 40deg vent temp, which is where it should be all the time.
However, I should not have to run it on Max a/c all the time. I should be able to get cold air on normal a/c. That has been my complaint all along.

This weekend, I drove my 2006 GMC in 98 degree heat. Ran it on normal a/c and water was pouring from the evap and the vent temp was 36 deg. Vs 60+ in the Ferd. Now that tells me there is a problem. I just want answers thats all.

The other issue, is that when I turn it to Max a/c, the vent temp gets colder very quickly, which tells me that something else is happening besides just changing from outdoor to indoor air. That wouldn't change the vent temp as quickly as it is, so something is not right.

The bottom line is that the a/c unit is substandard for the money spent, and I want to know why and get it fixed, or this is the last Ford I will ever own.

Last edited by F 1Fiddy; 07-25-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:19 AM
Thanks for all your imput, my 05 has got better over the year or I just got use to it. but tonight im talking to the dealer about trading my 05 in on a 11 eco fx4. Im hoping the a/c is a lttle better.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:37 AM
Here in Austin TX we have already had almost 40 days of over 100 degree (with heat index's over 110 at times) heat this summer. I had a 2005 FX5 SuperCrew 2 years ago and now have a 2011 FX2 EB SuperCrew, both with black interiors.

The 2005 definitely took longer to cool it off, but to me it always seemed that the VOLUME of air coming out was the issue. In other words, blower speed or fan was not high enough. The 2005 A/C system was adequate but not fantastic. Also worth noting, my 2005 had manual A/C controls, nothing was automatic or digital.

The car I had between was a 2009 Pontiac G8. It had automatic digital a/c, dual zone, etc. It had SEVENTEEN blower fan speeds if you wanted to use them. Yes it really did. The highest setting was so high that you had to turn it off if you were on the phone or had to turn the stereo up. It was overkill for sure. Black interior on this car as well.

My 2011 has the black leather FX2 interior and I have the Lux package so it has the digital control, dual climate, etc. Living in TX, you always make it a habit to crack the windows and put up the sun shade in the windshield when you park. If I do this and come out of my office at 430-500pm, I will be cold within about 10 minutes of traffic driving. Not cold enough to turn it down, but cold enough.

This truck and the last car I had, I leave them pretty much set at 73 all the time throughout the year. I rarely adjust the temperature control and just let the system do what it's supposed to. It cools it down to 73 and reduces the output by itself. For me, this yields the best results.

I certainly don't expect miracles with the kind of heat the truck is subjected to, but it is definitely better than the 2005 was and cools adequately given the size of the cab and TX heat and black leather. I don't expect much more.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:37 AM
AC in my 2011 is excellent. Live in Texas, it's been like 100+ every day since I bought the truck 4 weeks ago and I am not complaining about the AC one bit. Auto does work for me, like being able to dial in the exact temp I want (73-74 once it is cooled down inside, which is usualy in less than 2 minutes). Only thing I've noticed it, using the remote start, when you get in and put the key in, the fan shuts off for like 5-6 seconds then comes back on, which is a tad annoying.

Last edited by SalsaNChips; 07-26-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Since some people rave about the cooling and others hate it, I think that the compressor and related hardware are adequate for cooling the cabin. However, since the whole system is computer-controlled there is no way to "tweak" the compressor shutoff points except by a entire PCM reflash. Even more likely is that performance variations could be subject to the tolerences of some sensor somewhere in the system.

The A/C in my '10 was almost useless until it was reflashed last year. It took a nasty letter to Ford Customer Service to arrange for a field engineer check it out and recommend a fix. This summer cooling is better, but just when you start to feel the air getting cold, the compressor cycles off. And, it is still nowhere near as cold as the A/C in my nine-year-old Superduty crewcab. That A/C will make your left hand numb if you vent the air directly on it for any length of time.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:24 PM
My 2011 sucks *** in the A/C department however my wifes 2011 escape A/C is better

Old 07-30-2011, 01:39 AM
My 2011 Ecoboost SCrew sucks as well. The first time my dad rode in it, that was the first thing he noticed.

Has anyone actually taken theirs in yet and seen what ford says about it? The problem seems widespread, but not constant, so might just be some trucks didn't get topped off all the way from the factory?

Old 07-30-2011, 09:56 AM
My 2011 SCREW EB works ok to good... I live in North Texas and it is parked in the sun all day. I now use one of the reflective window shades and crack the front windows. When I get in it after work. I open the windows start the truck run the a/c on max recirc. start rolling and by the time I hit the exit to the street I close the windows. The cab is tollorable within a mile and cool in about two miles, about 10 miles I have to turn it from high speed to 3. leave it there till i get home in another ten miles...
That being said my former extend cab Dodge worked much better but I figure it was because the truck was white and only an ext cab... new truck is dark blue...
BTW it's freaking hot out!!

Quick Reply: Hows the a/c