2009 - 2014 F-150

Tailgate won't unlock!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 06:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tailgate won't unlock!

Last night I went to get into the bed. I go to unlock the tailgate and I feel some resistance like I always have. It sometimes takes some effort to unlock it. So I turn key and I feel a thud. The tailgate will not unlock. I imagine part of the linkage came or or bent or something. The kicker is that I have a Truxedo lo pro qt on it as well..so i really cant access the back of the tailgate at all to see whats going on.

The truck is only a few months old, so I will probably make a call to the dealer, however a buddy of mine thinks they wont touch it unless I get the tonneau cover off.

I really dont want to cut the cover or try to wedge a screwdriver in there trying to hit the release tab..

So what's a guy to do in this case?

Last edited by SWEET GT; 05-27-2011 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:20 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SWEET GT
Last night I went to get into the bed. I go to unlock the tailgate and I feel some resistance like I always have. It sometimes takes some effort to unlock it. So I turn key and I feel a thud. The tailgate will not unlock. I imagine part of the linkage came or or bent or something. The kicker is that I have a Truxedo lo pro qt on it as well..so i really cant access the back of the tailgate at all to see whats going on.

The truck is only a few months old, so I will probably make a call to the dealer, however a buddy of mine thinks they wont touch it unless I get the tonneau cover off.

I really dont want to cut the cover or try to wedge a screwdriver in there trying to hit the release tab..

So what's a guy to do in this case?
im thinking you have a problem. only access is thru the tailgate on the inside. i put a extang triple fold a cover on my 2011 and wanted something secure. that could pose a problem. on my last truck the key and tailgate handle started to feel different so i took it apart and coated it with silicone grease and it felt better. i think i might do that to this one before its an issue. interested to hear how you conquer your problem..good luck

Old 05-27-2011, 08:58 AM
Well we were able to get into the bed this morning. My brother has the same cover, we simply undid the velcro on the drivers side, stood up on the tire and reached all the way in to the release tab and popped it.

Might not be the most secure, but if I wanted 100% security I would have gotten a hard cover. Tonight, I undo the back of the tailgate and see if I can see whats going on.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:57 AM
Let us know how you make out. It always sucks on a new truck, but at least you got the tonneau undone.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:52 PM
FWIW, there is zero resistance on my key in the tailgate (2011).

Quick Reply: Tailgate won't unlock!