2009 - 2014 F-150

6 cylinder sells !!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 02:00 AM
Location: Molino, FL / Camp Frontenac (Shah Wali Kowt), Afghanistan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well in my case I traded in my 4.6 2008 Mustang GT for my 5.0 F150/Mustang. I liked the 5.0 engine, there were plenty (in February) of the 5.0's in stock, in a color I could live with and pretty much most of the features I was looking for at a great price so I got the 5.0.

At that time there were no Ecoboost engined F150's on the lot. Maybe if I would have been able to have driven one I may have decided to go that route. But they weren't. And even if they were they would have not been in any great amount of numbers to offer a variety of different classes (XLT's, FX2's or 4's, Lariats or otherwise) or the different option packages that would have made me want to buy one at the time.

As the year rolls on...maybe those numbers may change but at the time I got a great deal with a good amount taken off of the price in rebates and I am one happy camper with the truck I ended up with.

Sorry...the Ecoboost may be a new truck for me in the future but it's timing wasn't particular good this time around.

Dennis

21 dtg KAF

23 dtg Dubai

24 dtg Home for good!

Old 06-04-2011, 03:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by L8 APEX
We keep our fleet trucks for 7-10 years and 300k plus. So we are choosing the 5L for fewer gadgets and parts to break and repair. I think the twin turbo will require more repairs in 300k than a straight forward v8...
So just what exactly makes you think a 32v quad variable cam V8 is all that simple?

The EB has that with 2 less cylinders and 8 less valves. Turbos have been around since before WW II, they really are not cutting edge tech. That only leaves the DI as a major difference. The biggest change here is where the injector hole is in the head and the pressure generated.

If you want low tech in a truck get a GM or Mopar. Their basic architecture dates to the late 1940s nothing in Ford's lineup is basic.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:13 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Wookie
So just what exactly makes you think a 32v quad variable cam V8 is all that simple?

The EB has that with 2 less cylinders and 8 less valves. Turbos have been around since before WW II, they really are not cutting edge tech. That only leaves the DI as a major difference. The biggest change here is where the injector hole is in the head and the pressure generated.

If you want low tech in a truck get a GM or Mopar. Their basic architecture dates to the late 1940s nothing in Ford's lineup is basic.
The fact that its not forced induction means it's going to last longer. I had a salesman at our dealership straight tell me that they expect the EB to be in more often for repairs and have a shorter life.

Turbo gas motors in pickups have been around since 2011, so its new tech there.
And n/a motors have been around since the 1890s

Old 06-04-2011, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by ak_cowboy
The fact that its not forced induction means it's going to last longer. I had a salesman at our dealership straight tell me that they expect the EB to be in more often for repairs and have a shorter life.

Here we going again with this forums members spouting off a load of crap.

No wonder I frequent these boards less and less.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They were also around in 1991-92 when GMC made the Syclone.They also made a Typhoon (SUV) in 92-93.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by L8 APEX
We keep our fleet trucks for 7-10 years and 300k plus. So we are choosing the 5L for fewer gadgets and parts to break and repair. I think the twin turbo will require more repairs in 300k than a straight forward v8...
Why not settle for the 3.7L then? Even more reliability.

Originally Posted by Wookie

Exactly!

The fact that its not forced induction means it's going to last longer.
I want to know where you get that fact from. I can name A LOT of turbocharged cars AND airplane engines that last twice as long as N/A engines.

I had a salesman at our dealership straight tell me that they expect the EB to be in more often for repairs and have a shorter life.
Out of all the people in the world to tell you the truth about something, you think its going to be an automotive dealership salesman??

False. Twin turbo, direct injected, variable valve timing is a new technology for pickups. I don't see what the body of a vehicle has to do with it, but sure there is a risk in mixing all of these technologies.

Just because you've been doing something a lot time doesn't mean you know everything about it. Since the 1890s, internal combustion engines have progressed almost microscopically in terms of efficiency. I/C engines still only convert about 18% of energy content of fuel into useable force. The other 82% is lost as heat. Forced induction raises the thermodynamic limit up to 20% efficiency in some cases.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
... I had a salesman at our dealership straight tell me that they expect the EB to be in more often for repairs and have a shorter life...
So you consider a car salesman a reliable source of information?

This goes against the grain for sure, most people would consider a car salesman just slightly more honest than a politician and equally mis-informed. If you had something a little more solid such as an internal memo from Ford detailing the problems they expect then ok you might be onto something. But hearsay from a car salesman, that's just not gonna cut it.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:02 PM
Most car salesmen cant even tell me what engine is in a car without looking at the sticker, let alone tell me how reliable its going to be.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:07 PM

Shoulda just said you found it on the internet.

What about all those turbo volvos I've seen with over 200k on the clock and original engine and tranny?

Boosted gas truck motors isn't anything new. I've seen plenty of guys transplant big truck engines into drag and street cars then add boost, spray and just about any other "performance" mod some guy in his garage thought up.

Hasn't boosted direct injection also been used on euro cars? I knew a guy with a twin turbo and H2O/meth spray setup on his VW and I could swear he said something about it being DI.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:58 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm so sorry guys, totally forgot that this was an EB fanboy site..... all hail the one and only Ecoboost ......

Old 06-06-2011, 07:36 AM
I would disagree,its merely a sight on mostly educated people that know the difference between facts and someone opinion. All these truck engine have a lot of new technology, only time will tell how the will do. The NA gas engine in any of the trucks is far from an NA gas engine from the 1890, and the turbo engines are much different too.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by NASSTY
I wouldn't.
The Mustang is making about 50 more HP to start with. I doubt you'll see 500hp from a 5.0 F150 without forced induction and that will run ya about $4K-$6K for a superchager or a turbo kit. I bet the mods you listed are over $3K. The Ecoboost would be way easier (cheaper)to reach 500 HP.It would probably take a free flowing exhaust,a tune,more boost,more fuel, either more octane or alcohol injection and possibly bigger turbos.But it's still it would be cheaper to make truck that's already forced induction reach 500HP.
I've been playing around with Grand National V6 turbos for 23 years and forced induction engines respond way better to simple bolt ons (like exhaust, intakes, tunes) than N/A engines. My GN 231 V6 makes 500 HP with alky injection and 26 psi of boost.

Each psi of boost can = anywhere from 10-15 hp depending on temperature, humidity, and several other variables. It's much cheaper to make HP from an engine that is already forced induction. Not that it can't be done from a N/A engine, but it's going to cost an arm and a leg. With a forced induction engine it's just a matter of upgrading whatever it takes to safely run more boost.
The extra 50hp the mustang is putting out is from the heads and stock headers, both those get changed on the f150 so I think it would make up a large part of the difference. The most expensive part of the upgrades I listed would be the cams and head work, the cams are about 1,500.00 by themselves. I figure your about right on the 3,500.00 mark by the time you get all the parts and have everything done. As I said earlier from what I have seen on the SHO the ecoboost is easy to make up to about 450hp and then after that the direct injection pump is at its limit and you need to replace it. I have not been able to find a higher pressure pump and I am sure it will be extremely expensive because of the pressures it has to put out. If you start replacing turbos on the ecoboost your getting into the same price as blowing the 5.0 and the ecoboost is going to loose that race.

I have said it many times, I like the ecoboost its just not for me. I think its a fantastic technology and it will really help ford sell some vehicles, I think if your going to buy a truck to pull something heavy occasionally and want good millage the rest of the time then its the engine of choice. If your going to leave the exhaust alone and get just a tuner then its a no brainier that it will make the most power out of all the other choices. If however your going to make a hotrod then I think the better choice is the 5.0, the 6.2 would be a good choice but you can only get it in the top of the line trucks and that price jump makes the 5.0 and ecoboost hard to beat in the price/performance category.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by yellowsvt_03
I would disagree,its merely a sight on mostly educated people that know the difference between facts and someone opinion. All these truck engine have a lot of new technology, only time will tell how the will do. The NA gas engine in any of the trucks is far from an NA gas engine from the 1890, and the turbo engines are much different too.
I agree, the ecoboost and the 5.0 have been out about the same amount of time. The 5.0 has shown signs of being a great motor in the mustang, and the ecoboost has done the same in the taurus sho. Neither one of these engines has any history in a truck so until proven otherwise there is no reason to believe one will be more reliable than the other.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a salesman at our dealership straight tell me that they expect the EB to be in more often for repairs and have a shorter life.
He/she must have had quite a few 5.0's to sell and not many 3.5 EB's...

Old 06-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Traded in my 07 STX for an EB on Saturday. Man this is a nice truck, nice power too. Blows the doors off that damn 4.6L.

Quick Reply: 6 cylinder sells !!