2009 - 2014 F-150

photos bucket vs non-bucket seats?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question photos bucket vs non-bucket seats?

I hate bucket seats. Went and sat in some '11 f-150s. I love my '02 and how I'm sitting up almost like in a chair. Really dislike how I feel like I'm sitting down with my legs out in front of me in the new trucks. I'm trying to figure out if this is due to the bucket seating or not. When you build an f-150 with the split 40/20/40 seats it says the bucket seating is optional. Even though I found several 40/20/40 trucks to sit in it appeared they were all bucket seats (unless that definition has changed now compared to my '02 which is bench).

Thoughts? Any pictures of of the '11 without "bucket" seats?

Old 06-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Basically the seats in the 40-20-40 are exactly the same as with the buckets. The difference is that the center seat is removed and a console put in their place.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Yeah I see what you are saying now. I misread it initially and just saw 'Cloth Bucket Seats' and not 'Cloth Bucket Seats with Center Console.' It is misleading though because the default option is 'Cloth 40/20/40 Front Seat' and even under the details there is no mention of them being bucket.

Man that's rough. Gunna miss the bench seating on long drives.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by hohlraum

Man that's rough. Gunna miss the bench seating on long drives.
I'm with you on this. I used to drive an 02 and liked "sitting up" in my seats. I hated driving my wifes car on long trips (which we always did for gas mileage reasons) because I didn't like having my legs out in front like that either. Well I just recently traded my 02 for a 2010. The buckets are awesome! I have an FX4 with the sport cloth and they are fantastic. As for the way you sit, I just always use the electric controls on the side and lift it as much as it will go. Not because I'm short (5'11") but I just like that feeling of being up in my seat a bit more. So don't be discouraged. I think these seats are great and I came from the same view point you did.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't blast me here, but I was in the same boat. I had an '03 SuperCrew Lariat with heated leather (40-20-40). LOVED the seating position. Since I upgraded to my '08 SuperCrew Lariat again with heated seats (40-20-40), I have been to the Chiro several times and will be going to the physical therapist shortly to get my back fixed back up. Mainly due to the poor seating position as nothing else major has changed to create an issue. Anyway, when I was looking to upgrade to the '08 the dealer was showing me that the quality of seating is trim level dependent. I called BS, but after sitting in several different trim levels I was a believer. I had test drove an XLT thinking I didn't want to pay for the Lariat upgrade, but after driving the XLT, then setting in the Lariat, there is no way I would go with the XLT. The rear seat was even worse. I am looking at either an '11 or a '12 if the seats are any better as my opinion stands that Ford screwed up for the '04-08 seats are not designed for my build (6'5").

Old 06-12-2011, 11:24 AM
My '09 had adjustable lumbar support , I though great. Except that it was located too low for a tall guy like me .I resorted to my old practice of putting a foam pad in the seat like I always did. I care for my back !.
One day I had to get in and out of the truck many times , as you might do with a pickup. The seat and back bolsters got in the way every time ! I took the upholstery off and started carving the foam so the seat fit me in every way. That included angling the headreast back.In some places I cut foam within 1/2" of the frame.
Now I have a seat that fits ME ,not Mr Average !! The point is that you shouldn't hesitate to make the seat fit you ,your body will thank you and you'll forget about the chiropractor .

Old 06-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WoodsTruck
Don't blast me here, but I was in the same boat. I had an '03 SuperCrew Lariat with heated leather (40-20-40). LOVED the seating position. Since I upgraded to my '08 SuperCrew Lariat again with heated seats (40-20-40), I have been to the Chiro several times and will be going to the physical therapist shortly to get my back fixed back up. Mainly due to the poor seating position as nothing else major has changed to create an issue. Anyway, when I was looking to upgrade to the '08 the dealer was showing me that the quality of seating is trim level dependent. I called BS, but after sitting in several different trim levels I was a believer. I had test drove an XLT thinking I didn't want to pay for the Lariat upgrade, but after driving the XLT, then setting in the Lariat, there is no way I would go with the XLT. The rear seat was even worse. I am looking at either an '11 or a '12 if the seats are any better as my opinion stands that Ford screwed up for the '04-08 seats are not designed for my build (6'5").
Me too 6'5" and I had a devil of a time getting comfortable in my 05 Lariat, now my 2010 Lariat is mighty fine comfort wise, plus that A/C in the seat in a beautiful thing for a warm day gopher shooter. FS

Old 06-12-2011, 02:51 PM
You bench lovers are crazy.

I had a bench in my 02 and swapped the bucket 60/40's in with the built in belts....

MUCH BETTER.

The bench was a back crippler...No lumbar whatsoever....

Like sitting on a Bluebird school bus... With pleather..

IMO.

And the new seats are awsome....Angain...IMO

Old 06-12-2011, 03:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by redtherocket
You bench lovers are crazy.

I had a bench in my 02 and swapped the bucket 60/40's in with the built in belts....

MUCH BETTER.

The bench was a back crippler...No lumbar whatsoever....

Like sitting on a Bluebird school bus... With pleather..

IMO.

And the new seats are awsome....Angain...IMO
/THREAD

I went from pleather 60/40 split bench to leather power Lariat lumbar captain chairs and would NEVER go back!

Old 08-05-2011, 02:01 PM
In March I got a new 2011 XLT. In July I drove from St. Paul to Yarmouth , NS, CA about 2,000 mi in 2.5 days. The seats were killing me! I adjusted the lumbar support- little, medium and large to no avail. I have a 2000 Tundra that I can drive 5 hours at a stretch- no problem. I would gladly take the damn seats out of the new truck and put in the ones from the Tundra. One would think that Ford would have this down pat by now. I have to dive back and I am not looking forward to the back pain. I even bout a back "frame"- a wire frame with stretch material over it and that was even worse. So far the only thing that started to help was taking a folded towel and putting it at the back of the seat.

Quick Reply: photos bucket vs non-bucket seats?