2009 - 2014 F-150

Spray-on bedliner....which is best for quality and value?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 09:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Spray-on bedliner....which is best for quality and value?

I am looking at getting my truck bed lined. For a little background my truck will be used for general hauling of things. I want a bed liner that is durable and looks good, but I also dont want the premium liner because my truck is not an everyday work truck, and I am trying to keep costs low. Obviously I am considering Line-X, but what about the other brands? I have a local company that can do Scorpion Liner. Has anyone heard of it, used it, if so what do you think of it?

Old 06-10-2011, 10:15 AM
APT
I see no reason not to get Line-X. Some people really prefer Rhino, but most really prefer Line-x. Only reason not to get it is cost and proximity to an installer.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:39 AM
I'm familiar with Scorpian. Scorpian is a cold, low or no pressure bedliner product. You can roll it on with a roller, paint it on with a brush, or use a hopper gun. The bedliner does not have good adhesion and thus requires a primer. They do not offer a nationwide lifetime warranty. The good news is that the product is like beefed up paint, so it's very fade resistant. By the way, Scorpian, Superliner, and Speedliner are all very similiar products.

Is it as strong as LINE-X? No
Does it have a warranty as good as LINE-X? No
Does it use a superior heat/high pressure application system like LINE-X? No
But, if it's right for you, I say go for it!

You can buy Al's Liner yourself which is retail packaged Scorpian. I have some samples. They are very rubbery, but tear VERY easily. Here are Al's pics.

Here's Scorpian pics.

Last edited by TruckGasm; 06-10-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Rhino is 'stickier' than Line-X. Meaning anything you place in the bed will be in the exact same place you put it when you get to where you are going. Things don't slide on Rhino, but they do much more so on Line-X.

I really liked my Rhino liner...8+ years without a problem, but I went with a Bed Rug on my next truck since my bed use changed. The Bed Rug is great if you don't use your bed like a truck most of the time. It's great for sitting in to watch the fireworks, have a picnic in the back of the truck, etc., but for severe duty, it comes up short.

My current truck doesn't have a liner. About the only thing I haul is my fifth-wheel hitch, so I don't really have a need for a liner.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
Rhino is 'stickier' than Line-X.
That depends on which Rhino product your talking about. Rhino Tuff Stuff is their older cold/low pressure product. Yes, it's softer than LINE-X. But, it also has (literally) less than have the strength of LINE-X.

If you're talking about Tuff Grip, then it's slightly softer than LINE-X and has about a third less tear strength.

If you're talking about Hardline, then it has the same hardness as LINE-X and has about a third less tear strength.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Line x.

Everyone I know with rhino or toff it has spots where the liner Is gone.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Line-X.......you get what you pay for. My local shop has the premium spray-in on special for $350.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by ibcop
Line-X.......you get what you pay for. My local shop has the premium spray-in on special for $350.
So, you get what you pay for, but it is on special for $350. Does that mean you get a better product when it is not on special?

Sorry, just couldn't help but point out the contradiction in your post.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:29 PM
I had Rhino on one previous truck and Linex on two trucks including the one I now own. My new truck has the Line-x premium with the UV topcoat. I really liked the look of it compared to anything else I saw. As stated previously, the Rhino, mine was the original tuff grip, will cut and tear with rough use. I had one place where it tore on mine and I'm not extremely hard on truck beds. If you can find Line-x near you I'd get a price from them. There's a reason why Line-x is usually the most common name you hear in threads like these. If I were going with Rhino I believe I'd do the hardline product as it is most like Linex. I agree that the Rhino isn't as slippery, but that comes at the price of a much softer liner. Good luck with your choice.

Last edited by vroten; 06-10-2011 at 04:47 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ibcop
My local Line-X dealer wanted $600. And that's why I don't have a spray-in liner. I'll either get Line-X for a reasonable price or no liner at all.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by EsJayEs
My local Line-X dealer wanted $600. And that's why I don't have a spray-in liner. I'll either get Line-X for a reasonable price or no liner at all.
It does seem like Line-x quotes seem to vary a lot by location. I had my crew done for around $430

Old 06-10-2011, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
So, you get what you pay for, but it is on special for $350. Does that mean you get a better product when it is not on special?

Sorry, just couldn't help but point out the contradiction in your post.
The Line-X is $350 bucks for the 5.5 foot bed. They have a special where they add the extra coating for free - normally an extra hundred bucks.

If you wanna pay more, then do it.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by EsJayEs
Yeah, not good at all. I take it only one dealer near you?

Old 06-10-2011, 07:00 PM
i went and got a price for the scorpion liner. They want 425 to do it, and they guarantee the color wont fade for the life of the truck. I have never got a truck lined, but it is too much for what I need. I am going to talk to the line-x guy tomorrow. The salesman was telling me they have to scuff the bed up before they spray the liner. How do they scuff it? Sandblaster or by hand? Do they have to scuff it when they do Line-X or only with the scorpion type liner?

Old 06-10-2011, 07:28 PM
Suspended
they scuff with every type liner to help get the product to stick properly to the truck bed. i'm assuming they use sand paper or something of the sort, no they do not sand blast your bed.

Quick Reply: Spray-on bedliner....which is best for quality and value?