Tailgate stolen :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not going to do any name calling, however I don't buy that in this post
Originally Posted by SETCHAN
78Vette, s post included : somebody eventually will sue
No mentioning of YOU suing ford.
Which means: You are not equipped for this discussion.
he wasn't trying to act like someone else, since he referred to himself as 78Vette he had to have known his name had changed and was hoping we would think he was someone else agreeing with 78Vette.

Last edited by birddog_61; 06-15-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:57 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by birddog_61
I am not going to do any name calling, however I don't buy that in this post

he wasn't trying to act like someone else, since he referred to himself as 78Vette he had to have known his name had changed and was hoping we would think he was someone else agreeing with 78Vette.
His name change had nothing to do with his posts and he had no way of knowing when it would take place. I rather doubt that he would be suing Ford as he would lose his job and I suspect he sees enough frivolous suits against Ford to be able to make the comment about expecting someday, someone will sue.

Now I'm telling you and anyone else slinging the labels "stupid, idiot" and the like get off of it and move on. You're acting rather childish.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:47 PM
Thumbs down

Went out and locked mine, thanks for the remind! Sorry you lost your tailgate, I HATE THEIVES!

Old 06-15-2011, 11:36 PM
Sorry this happened OP,thieving douches everywhere it seems.Good heads up to lock mine up

Old 06-16-2011, 10:00 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Bluejay

Now I'm telling you and anyone else slinging the labels "stupid, idiot" and the like get off of it and move on. You're acting rather childish.
Originally Posted by GLuca'sF150
thieving douches everywhere it seems.
i think douches was implied in the previous quote .

Old 06-25-2011, 01:24 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
My '77 does not have an easily removable tailgate, you have to open it and remove two bolts and hinge piece to get to it. They weren't stolen often.

My '07 does have a removable tailgate, Ford gave the truck buyer something else he wanted. With ease of removal comes ease of theft. Something laying on a table is easier to steal than somethind nailed to the table.

You have the option of buying the truck with a locking tailgate or putting your own lock on it. Unused locks do not lock anything.

These are all simple truths.

My suggestion, if you are worried about theft, if you are too rushed to lock it, if you don't forsee the need or desire to remove the tailgate often, use a stainless steel worm drive hose clamp on the right side.

If by chance, that's too easy to remove for your liking, if you seek something more "secure", more "permanent" .... wrap a piece of 3/4 wide X 1/8 thick steel around the right side hinge of the tailgate (remove taigate to size it),
cut to length so it butts itself,
reinstall tailgate,
spread your new wrap,
apply in place,
clamp closed,
spot weld either side of clamp,
remove clamp,
finish weld,
paint.

Sleep worry free.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:30 AM
My problem thinking is of you make it harder for them to steal it then they will just steal your truck haha... I am going to have to look at mine. Right now I cant visualize where the hose clamp or tie wrap would mount... I am guessing it will jump out at me when I go take a look...

Old 07-25-2011, 04:58 PM
Resolution

So -- I have a new tailgate (looks good !!)

A few interesting notes:

-Damn thing was $5,300 to replace @ dealership
-~$900 was just the step assembly. Robbery.
-~$800 was the Platinum "plate" on the back... crazy.
-The girl at the dealer said they're trying to be more proactive and let everyone know about the uptick in thefts when they buy new trucks. They sell the locks @ the dealership now.

From the police:
-They got 3 in my neighborhood the same night.
-They got 9 total in our "area" that night.

From the insurance agent:
-He had written 46 Platinum/King Ranch tailgates since ~March. Said it would happen every now and then prior to that - but started like a flood then.
-He had no clue how many had been stolen in Houston area - but he's amazed because he is just one adjuster. No telling how many have been stolen...
-He claimed he'd been working as an adjuster for years and Houston and knows a heck of a lot of parts dealers - nobody seams to know where they're going - they are NOT on Craigslist or whatever in these numbers.

-FWIW, it was Allstate and the guy was awesome. No questions asked - and was extremely helpful with follow-up calls, etc.

Overall - a crappy event.

Thanks --

Old 07-25-2011, 05:07 PM

Wow, 5k for tailgate...ouch

Old 07-25-2011, 05:08 PM
Glad it worked out for you!

I'm putting in a JimmiJammer, power lock actuator and a BAKFlip F1. Hopefully that should be enough deterrent to prevent my tailgates' theft

Old 07-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Did they say how much the integrated backup camera was? I would think that would be more expensive than a tailgate step lol!

Old 07-25-2011, 06:08 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
ib4tl

Old 07-25-2011, 06:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I dunno how other dealers are, but I often throw suggestions out that I notice would be helpful to my dealership while getting service, etc. and they are rather receptive to it. I will mention the locking tailgate/key fob idea next time I go in, and if anyone else's dealership is like mine, then speak up! That is the easiest way to bring about positive change.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by darkstar_420
if someone is gonna sue ford for not having a lock and unlock for the tail gate on the fob, just because they werent smart enough to use their key and lock it, they would have to be the dumbest person on the face of the earth.
Since when do the courts look at intelligence? Just ask the lady who got 2 mil from McDonalds because she didn't realize the cup of coffee she put between her legs would be actually HOT!!!

Sorry for getting off topic. I, for one, would like to have a tailgate locked from the keyfob, but until Ford does that I will just continue to use my key. Not a big deal.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:09 PM
Never have this problem around here but we have a shortage of crime/minorities so far.

Quick Reply: Tailgate stolen :(