2009 - 2014 F-150

Traction control issues.... Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 01:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traction control issues.... Help

Okay, I've been talking to a few members on here who have had this fixed under warranty. The problem is the traction control kicking in at low speed turns and stammering a bit, it annoying more than anything. I do have 33" tires and level kit. My dealer turned me away saying the TSB I showed them wasn't applicable because I had bigger tires and i had to be pulling a trailer to apply. Anyways, I'm fed up with my dealer, and I would like to find someone who has also had this fix done, so I can cal their dealer as ask them to email me the proper TSB and all the details so I can take it to my dealer.
--- side not, my tranny seemed to have slipped and popped the other day, the dealer said it's due to bigger tires too.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try to get your tire size re-programmed. My dealer did it for around $75 and programmed the largest tire the pcm had available. It reduced my TSC issues with 33" tires almost completely. It still occurs but no where near the amount as before.

Most dealers won't apply the TSB unless they are pulling the proper code but sounds like they are being unhelpful. It is not like you have 37's on there.

Did the tranny slip cause a DTC to trigger?

Old 06-29-2011, 08:28 AM
APT
Just push the button once every time you start the truck. It's a habit I have had on several vehicle's I've owned with traction control. It's calibrated a bit aggressively for me on a few of the vehicle's I've owned. I test drove a 2011 F-150 and had the same problem with engine power being cut more often than I'd usually want for my driving style, and that was with OEM tires.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by stormsearch
did the tranny slip cause a dtc to trigger?
dtc?

Old 06-29-2011, 09:27 AM
If your using Wichita falls Ford then I would suggest driving to another dealer. There are plenty that are close and will treat you right, I usually stick to the smaller dealerships because they stay alive by getting repeat customers.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by birddog_61
If your using Wichita falls Ford then I would suggest driving to another dealer. There are plenty that are close and will treat you right, I usually stick to the smaller dealerships because they stay alive by getting repeat customers.
I don't understand how they keep such good business... I don't know hardly anyone who has anything good to say about them.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by texas_superman
I don't understand how they keep such good business... I don't know hardly anyone who has anything good to say about them.
I don't either, I have yet to meet a single person that has said they had a good experience at that dealer. I tried to buy a truck there once and I will never go back, the sales manager was about to call the cops because I was threatening to beat the snot out of one of the salesmen for being an ***.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:02 PM
I just purchased a used 2010 F15 Super Crew PU. Aside from the unbelievable bad gas milage ( 11 MPG - 4.6L) I love the truck. Since the day I bought it a strange issue would happen occasionally. The TCM would trigger the front left break to engage when using FRWY on/off ramps. After having the transmission serviced and "stuff" looked at. Ford agrees that the TCM is engaging at inappropriate times.

With all of this said Ford refuses to test or correct/replace the TCM as the tires on my truck are not the stock size. Mine are 285/75/17 and the original equipment is 255/65/17.

They insist I buy new tires of the stock size to allow them to rule out the tires as a cause for the TCM issue. I refuse to pay over $800 for them to say yes the TCM is bad. They admit any tire (matched set) in any condition is acceptable. I ask anyone in San Diego to rent tires for the day. I know this sounds crazy but I will pay $150 to rent the tires to prove one way or the other the tires are or are not the issue.

I can be reached at 858 722 8611. I really need the help if you can spare the few hours it would take.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:30 PM
TL, take your truck to a different dealer and tell them a lie. Explain that you were towing a trailer and at low speed, turning, the traction control kicked in and scared you. Then explain that a little bit of internet digging brought you to FORD TSB 11-4-7

TSB
11-4-7

TRAC CONTROL FLASHING / ILLUMINATED WITH DTCS C1278, C1280, C1282 AND C1963

Publication Date: April 6, 2011

FORD:
2009-2011 F-150

This article supersedes TSB 11-2-5 to update the vehicle model years.
ISSUE:

Some 2009-2011 F-150 vehicles built on or before 3/21/2011 or 2010-2011 F-150 Raptor vehicles built on or before 3/28/2011 may exhibit a condition where the Trac Control indicator is flashing or illuminated with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) C1278, C1280, C1282 and C1963 stored in the Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) module. In addition, some customers may complain of intermittent nuisance activation of the Electronic Stability Control (ESC) during low speed turning maneuvers while towing a trailer only.
ACTION:

Reprogram the ABS module to the latest calibration using IDS release 72.01 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2011.3 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.
OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
110407A 2009-2011 F-150: Check DTCs And Reprogram The ABS Module (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.3 Hr.
DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
2C219 04

For a printable copy of this, and all other TSB's click the TSB link at the top of this page, and follow the instructions to become a member. It's just as free as this area is, and looks pretty much identical. Once you join there, you can access all the full tSB info on your truck. Print that, and take it to a dealer. Skip the one you have already seen for this issue. Save your breath.

Last edited by canadianelbow; 07-06-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Thanks Canadianelbow!! I will give it a shot and reply back with the results.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:03 PM
OK Guys... Get this one. I had the dealer reprogram the TCM and the ABS module. Now the problem is worse. WTF!

Old 07-12-2011, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by tlfrancis
OK Guys... Get this one. I had the dealer reprogram the TCM and the ABS module. Now the problem is worse. WTF!
Any new updates??
-- also anyone else have this problem taken care of?

Old 08-05-2011, 12:08 AM
Tcm issue

So on goes the SAGA!!! sorry for the break in communication... big camping trip.

Ok So I had the TCM ref lashed, I had the ABS ref lashed, (the transmission too???). Nothing would stop the TCM from engaging the front break caliper at inappropriate times. Mostly at moderate speed Under 30 mph on turns.

The instances of this occurring increased when hauling my Toy Box (as you might imaging).

Finally Ford engineers insisted the tires I had on the truck were too large and had to be replaced with the original equipment - specs original equip 255-65-17 i have 285-65-17's- so they are insisting that a relatively minor mod (30 mm) can not be accommodated or tolerated.

I managed to get the dealer to agree to lend me a set that matched the spec for the '10 f150 and drive them around the usual areas that I know will trigger the TCM.

I must admit that the issue was greatly reduced by going to the smaller diameter tire and I could only get the TCM to engage once after many attempts. Then I decided to strap on my toy box and give that a whirl around the clover leaf... Bam!!! or ERRR ERRR ERR is more appropriate sound as the break locked up the tires around every freeway clover. Immediately parked the toy box and drove back to Heller Ford.

Now Ford engineering has asked the mechanic to measure distances from ground to chassis, to top of wheels to door handle... Hell they probably measured me while I was not looking.

Now they have a bunch of numbers that will take them months to design a new TCM mercury switch for and a year to get it made and recall the 2010 F150 trucks.

They were going to install a flight recorder in my truck but could not get it to work. I suppose that will be done on the next visit.

I will keep you all posted...

Old 08-09-2011, 10:57 AM
last post to this string

This will be the last post to this string...

Well Ford identified that someone (they guy before me obviously) lifted the truck and now the warrantee is voided. Ford has washed their hands of this (because they have no fix for it YET!). They absolved themselves of all issues TCM... Or did they?

This weekend I traded the truck back to FORD on a 2011 ecoboost 4x4. Now I have yet another new truck, and they have yet another truck with a TCM issue.

I lost significant money on the transactions since I had purchased the 2010 only three months prior... But the feeling of driving away leaving it at the dealership was priceless.

Oh... the new '11 Ecoboost .... AWESOME!!!!

Thanks for all the help and tips guys...See you in another chat.

Quick Reply: Traction control issues.... Help