2009 - 2014 F-150

Sync Bugs

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Sync Bugs

Hello.

I am new to this forum and joined because I am the proud new owner [me and the bank] of a 2011 F150 FX2 loaded. I have been studying up on Microsoft Sync that Ford introduced into many of their new vehicles. Unfortunately, many proud new Ford owners are experiencing problems with Sync. I have not yet uncovered any problems, but as a long time user of Microsoft products, know that their software is riddled with bugs. Sync software is no different. How Microsoft and Ford choose to deal with the problem is. Here is an article I found while researching Sync and bugs associated with the software. It is located at this URL; http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/30/f...a-buggy-start/ . I hope that it helps someone.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Ford just released a SYNC update yesterday for 2011 F150s, and it should fix the myriad of problems -- I tried to update today, but SYNC killed my USB flash drive (it was pretty old, so maybe it was on its last leg). I'll update to the latest software sometime this weekend...

Old 07-02-2011, 07:57 AM
unfortunately the 2011's have had a slew of problems with the sync system. hopefully these updates will fix a lot of peoples problems.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:33 PM
09's and 10's have their share as well. I use it as rarely as possible.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:59 PM
Wow I love my sync glad to know of the update. My only complaint is that txt doesn't work with the iPhone 4. Other then that it rocks!

Old 07-04-2011, 11:52 PM
Whats the best way to learn about new sync updates? other than here. Wouldnt the dealer notify me?

Old 07-04-2011, 11:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Installed the latest Sync update in my '11 F-150 EB last night. The update went fine, but for what it's worth...I am not noticing any difference in the frequency with which my Sync 'locks up' (i.e. goes into a 15-minute reboot cycle) when I have a USB hard drive attached to the 2nd USB port. If anything it seems to be worse -- both times when I've started up the truck after it's sat for a few hours, Sync is locked up. Grrrr.

I was hoping this update would help that issue, but at least in my case...no such luck.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:41 AM

This is funny! I'm sorry, but this is just funny!

For years we have been making jokes about "What If Microsoft Controlled Our Cars?"

Last December, I bought a 2011 Focus. It came equipped with Sync. The salesman became quite annoyed when, after he told me it was provided by Microsoft, I asked if I would have to pull over to the side of the road frequently, to restart (reboot) the car.

The quality of the bluetooth hands-free system is very inferior to my old Logitec headset, so I don't use it. I have all text services on my cell phone blocked so, in reality, I don't have a use for Sync... I guess.

I haven't had to pull over and restart my car. Yet.

I do however, think it's vastly superior to OnStar! At least they can't shut my car off while I'm driving! Way to go Ford!

Old 07-05-2011, 10:52 AM
We have a 2010 Milan and a 2011 PSD F-250 both with sync, the Milan has had no issues since the first update in 2010, the F-250 has an issue where the phone will sometimes disconnect itself right after the truck is started. Other than that I have been completely happy with sync and all its features.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:45 PM
I just got off the phone with Sync support, the Sync update is for 2010 models, not 2011's. my sync page says i have an update, but sync services say i have the most current rev installed. Ill have the dealer check.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:17 PM
There is a 3.2.2 SYNC update that is applicable only to 2011 trucks. You can either go to your dealer to have it installed, or else sign up at "syncmyride.com" and download it to a thumb drive, and install it yourself.

I got 3.2.2 installed over the weekend, and I think it has fixed all the lockup problems, but more time is needed. I'm going to move it to USB2 in my glove box and see how it does there; just using a 16GB thumb drive.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:50 AM
I'm starting a log book for my sync system.

I go about 2/5 starts between having to "reboot" my sync system by doing the little microsoft dance of shutting off the key and opening the door for about 10 seconds. This is the only way short of pulling the fuse in the fuse box to get the system to come back to life.

Even when it does work I often have these quirks:
* No bluetooth pairing... phone not detected. Comes back after I cycle power as described.
* No ability to play media on USB1 or USB2. Comes back after I cycle power as described.
* Sometimes the HUD displays the message "Initializing..." until next key cycle even though all functions work.
* Sometimes the sync button on wheel does absolutely nothing at all. Comes back after I cycle power as described.
* Sometimes, not always, the sync system can't recognize my voice commands... even basic ones. The sudo female voice is not re-assuring "I DIDN'T UNDERSTAND YOU..." makes me want to chuck the whole thing out the window. Usually works better after I cycle power as described above.

This is my second time around with this truck... I killed the sync system that came with the truck performing an approved update (3.2.2) from syncmyride.com - so bad that two trips to the dealership before they were able to give up and overnight a new sync module for the truck.

I have to say that the sync system is a neat idea... but if I were to grade it, it's an "F"

Ford failed on this one... and I'm a life long Ford fan. I don't blame Microsoft either - Ford should have done a better job validating the design between Microsoft and Continental (the hardware supplier for the sync system) before deploying it to the masses.

I would have done better to just bought a stripped truck and installed an after market radio.

But, that's just my 2 cents...

Old 09-10-2011, 12:25 AM
wow, my 2010 F150 with sync has been flawless through a few different phones.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:37 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Mine is flawless so far.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:58 AM
I find the (latest rev) sync system on my '11 FX4 to be quirky, but still useful. I don't use lots of voice commands, but the bluetooth integration alone is a worthwhile feature to me.

But I love this quote on the autoblog site from an "official Ford spokesman":
"Customers remain highly satisfied with SYNC and 80% say that they would recommend it to others..."

So 20% think poorly enough of Sync that they wouldn't recommend it? That's not a stat I'd be proud of if I was Ford!

Quick Reply: Sync Bugs