2009 - 2014 F-150

Need HELP.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need HELP.

So i almost ran my truck into my shed. I had no brakes. Luckily i got the e-brake and stopped long enough to get it into park. So i get out of the truck and did a quick walk around and in the process of driving from my house to the shed which is 75 ft something happened i dont know if a rock hit it or what. Is there a way to cut out part of the brake line and put in a new piece? or buy braided lines to replace where i need some flexing because of my lift. It has a small crack in the brake line on the passenger side about a6 inches or some from the nut that goes into the actual brake caliper. This sucks!!!! Any idears?

Old 07-10-2011, 09:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You think something hit it or could it be a defective part/warranted item?

Old 07-10-2011, 09:18 PM
I dont know.... I wonder if its defective. the truck only has a little over 13000 miles now.. I do zero offroading and only drive on gravel a rare occasion, but i cant imagine that a rock would have bounced around and hit it. a matter of fact where the crack is there is a rubber protective thing thats about a couple inches right below it, then it turns a 90 and heads toward the engine bay and all the way across to the drivers side(the stiff brake lines)

Old 07-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Im not sure what a person would do if it was defective, im not going to tow the thing to my dealership for them to tell me to go screw myself. haha....i cant drive it at all unless i play the e-brake and i dont think thats a good idea.....grrr. stupid luck i swear

Old 07-10-2011, 09:21 PM

Sounds like a call to the dealer is in order to me. Definitely sounds like a part failure. Imagine if that had happened while driving on the highway or through a school zone!

Old 07-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Suspended
since your lifted, i'd use this as an opportunity to upgrade your front lines. pull off your fronts and measure and have a local shop make up some that are slightly longer.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Yah no kidding! I guess this should have been put in the wheels. tires and brakes section...can someone move this for me? sorry.

Of course I am lifted, so i can only imagine what they will say about that. Ill try and see though In the mean timei was curious about a fix job. as i said before the truck isnt leaving my house anyway and im sure a ford mechanic isnt going to drive out to my house. i know brakes lines are pretty inexpensive and you can buy fitting and lines different lengths....

Old 07-10-2011, 09:33 PM

Yeah I wasn't aware you were lifted. That is definitely not a help. :o

Old 07-10-2011, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
since your lifted, i'd use this as an opportunity to upgrade your front lines. pull off your fronts and measure and have a local shop make up some that are slightly longer.
I was thinking id rather have a flexible brake line from the frame to my caliper long enough to bend and flex with the suspension better. from the frame to the caliper is a strange setup anyway with all the stiff tubing and new brake line hardware. I wouldnt mind seeing some other people brake line setups with there lift kits. I know i need to upgrade my brake lines so they are longer anyway, but just not sure which direction to go

Old 07-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
I was thinking id rather have a flexible brake line from the frame to my caliper long enough to bend and flex with the suspension better. from the frame to the caliper is a strange setup anyway with all the stiff tubing and new brake line hardware. I wouldnt mind seeing some other people brake line setups with there lift kits. I know i need to upgrade my brake lines so they are longer anyway, but just not sure which direction to go or what all my options are

Old 07-10-2011, 09:44 PM
Suspended
you can route it how ever you want. i just built all my brake lines on my landcruiser, wasn't to difficult you just need to use your head and see what will work and how you can secure them.

pull your wheel off and start brain storming, post up pictures of it and i'm sure some people will give you their ideas as well. doing hard lines is stupid simple, for my flex lines i just bought some off a LC vendor. napa is supposed to be able to make up flex lines, if not a hydraulic shop can. i'm sure summit or some place of the sort have them as well, you just need to know what size your fittings are.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:48 PM
sure. im pretty sure thats the route im gonna go. Ill try and get some pics up tomorrow...im hittin the sack for now. glad i have another car to drive!

Old 07-10-2011, 10:21 PM
Lifted= warranty denied on all parts affected by the lift (brake lines, shocks, pinion angle, etc.). As mentioned above , get some custom flexible extended lines made. There are tons of shops out here that do that for pretty cheap. It shouldn't bust the wallet too bad.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:39 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by hydro1
Lifted= warranty denied on all parts affected by the lift (brake lines, shocks, pinion angle, etc.).
not necessarily, depends on the dealership but brake lines are cheap enough where it's not worth the hassle to call around or drive to every dealer to find out which one that is.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:03 PM
My salesman and dealership are actually pretty cool when it comes to this stuff. but like 06 said its not worth the hassle for a brake line fix...

Quick Reply: Need HELP.