2009 - 2014 F-150

Left door speaker problem - Any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 07:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a TSB for this. It's "TSB 12-11-4 Front Door Speakers - Intermittent Operation - Dearborn Truck Plant - Built On or Before 12/1/2011." It's apparently an issue with connector pins not being properly seated in the female (door) side of the harness. The TSB lists 14 different harness part numbers, depending on which year, side and level of options your truck has. It covers both left and right. I have this issue with my 11 and will address this myself, no more warranty. But I did pull the connector apart the other day and the pins seem seated but I found mine was very wet (frozen) but wet. It certainly is a pain to get the connector back together.

PM me with your email address and I'll send you the pdf.

And FWIW, I found this with a subscription to the manuals within www.motorcraftservice.com It gives you access to TONS of useful factory information, including TSBs. 30 days is only 20 bucks.

Last edited by svt2205; 02-06-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:14 AM
It is either the preamp in the head unit or a grounding wire to the speaker. Replacing the speaker will not fix it. Installed stereos long time ago for three summers.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well I went in yesterday and guess what? Yep. They are ordering a new speaker. I printed off this whole posting and he didnt want to look at it. Said he had things similar to that. I asked him repeatedly if he was sure and he said yes. I told him several have had to change the harness to fix it. We will have to wait and see.

Why would the harness be wet and frozen?

Old 02-06-2013, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by 67Shelby
Well I went in yesterday and guess what? Yep. They are ordering a new speaker. I printed off this whole posting and he didnt want to look at it. Said he had things similar to that. I asked him repeatedly if he was sure and he said yes. I told him several have had to change the harness to fix it. We will have to wait and see.

Why would the harness be wet and frozen?
Have them look up the TSB mentioned above in Oasis, it should tie their hands. If they still give you trouble maybe you could find another dealer that's close?

If the dealer route fails, you can easily do the repair yourself in less than an hour and I paid $40 for the new harness when I fixed the issue this past April. Depending on your warranty, it's probably cheaper than your deductible anyway (mine is $100.)

Originally Posted by svt2205
It certainly is a pain to get the connector back together.
That connector is definitely a pain. You have to have the angle of the door just right to get it lined up again. Overall this is a simple fix to do yourself, though. The hardest part for me was just getting the new harness routed the same way the old one was...that's why in my write up I suggested taking a photo or making a sketch of the existing harness layout.

Last edited by benchwarmer4203; 02-06-2013 at 09:32 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by benchwarmer4203
Have them look up the TSB mentioned above in Oasis, it should tie their hands. If they still give you trouble maybe you could find another dealer that's close?

If the dealer route fails, you can easily do the repair yourself in less than an hour and I paid $40 for the new harness when I fixed the issue this past April. Depending on your warranty, it's probably cheaper than your deductible anyway (mine is $100.)

That connector is definitely a pain. You have to have the angle of the door just right to get it lined up again. Overall this is a simple fix to do yourself, though. The hardest part for me was just getting the new harness routed the same way the old one was...that's why in my write up I suggested taking a photo or making a sketch of the existing harness layout.
Thanks, I may send him the TSB note. Mine is still under warranty thank goodness. I just hate going back and forth on something that could be fixed right the first time. I'm not sure how to remove the door panel with the door handle in the way. Is there a trick to getting around that?

Old 02-07-2013, 07:29 AM
I'm glad Ford finally has a TSB for this as it may save some people from having to hassle with their dealers. Previously I had an issue with the wiring harness to my backup camera and nearly had to go to war with my dealer to get it replaced so when this problem came along I just took care of it myself. I didn't want to listen to another dozen reasons why the dealer couldn't do anything. In my opinion, no one should have dealer experiances like this but it appears that it is way too common. I have a Lariat and the left front drivers door wiring harness was $78.00 plus shipping from Tasca Ford.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by 67Shelby
Thanks, I may send him the TSB note. Mine is still under warranty thank goodness. I just hate going back and forth on something that could be fixed right the first time. I'm not sure how to remove the door panel with the door handle in the way. Is there a trick to getting around that?
You remove 2 bolts and 2 screws on my door panel...2 screws on the bottom, 1 bolt in the arm rest, and 1 bolt that's behind the door handle itself. Pull the handle, and you'll see that there's a plastic cover that pops out behind there. It's kind of a pain to get off but once you do, you'll see the bolt that needs removed. You also need to remove a small cover (about the size of a dime) to expose the bolt in the arm rest. The two bottom screws are already exposed. Once you have all of the bolts/screws out you can just pick up on the panel slightly and start to pull it away from the door. When it's about an inch or so away look behind the door handle and push the tabs in that secure it. You'll be able to push these in easily with your fingers. Then slide the handle through the opening in the panel and you're home free. This is how my 2011 XLT is set up, I'm not sure if it varies with the different trims...but if it is, I'm sure it's still pretty similar.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by rheagrimm
I'm glad Ford finally has a TSB for this as it may save some people from having to hassle with their dealers. Previously I had an issue with the wiring harness to my backup camera and nearly had to go to war with my dealer to get it replaced so when this problem came along I just took care of it myself. I didn't want to listen to another dozen reasons why the dealer couldn't do anything. In my opinion, no one should have dealer experiances like this but it appears that it is way too common. I have a Lariat and the left front drivers door wiring harness was $78.00 plus shipping from Tasca Ford.
x2 on the TSB.

I've had varying levels of success with dealers when it comes to buying new vehicles and also with repairs. If you find a good one, definitely try to stick with them because there are a lot of them that aren't up to par.

Here's where I got my harness:
http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/...z-14631-b.html

It's for the driver's side door in my 2011 XLT SCrew.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

THANK YOU. Ive had this same exact problem for a while now. Looks like I can finally get it fixed.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:20 PM
Another THANK YOU from me too.

Took my truck in today and quoted the TSB. Dealer replaced the harness and my speaker sounds GREAT now! Woohoo!

Old 02-07-2013, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by benchwarmer4203
You remove 2 bolts and 2 screws on my door panel...2 screws on the bottom, 1 bolt in the arm rest, and 1 bolt that's behind the door handle itself. Pull the handle, and you'll see that there's a plastic cover that pops out behind there. It's kind of a pain to get off but once you do, you'll see the bolt that needs removed. You also need to remove a small cover (about the size of a dime) to expose the bolt in the arm rest. The two bottom screws are already exposed. Once you have all of the bolts/screws out you can just pick up on the panel slightly and start to pull it away from the door. When it's about an inch or so away look behind the door handle and push the tabs in that secure it. You'll be able to push these in easily with your fingers. Then slide the handle through the opening in the panel and you're home free. This is how my 2011 XLT is set up, I'm not sure if it varies with the different trims...but if it is, I'm sure it's still pretty similar.
The Lariat door panel is set up the same way. The only other problem I had that no one else has mentioned is that I had trouble getting the hole at the top of the door panel to line up with the manual door lock **** when I was putting it back together. I finally had to unscrew the ****, put the panel on and then replace the ****. It was an easy fix but it did cause me a little grief.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by rheagrimm
The Lariat door panel is set up the same way. The only other problem I had that no one else has mentioned is that I had trouble getting the hole at the top of the door panel to line up with the manual door lock **** when I was putting it back together. I finally had to unscrew the ****, put the panel on and then replace the ****. It was an easy fix but it did cause me a little grief.
Yeah, that was a little tricky too. I just made sure to start the panel in that corner and kind of stretched out the upper lip to get it fed back through. It did take a couple tries, though. The way you did it was probably easier.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:45 PM
Well, I just bought my F150 Saturday and it started doing this to me yesterday. Took it into the dealership and told them about the problem and they said I needed a new speaker. I told the guy that it goes in a out so its probably the wiring and not the speaker itself. He said that they have had this problem before and its the speaker. I mentioned the TSB but he didn't acknowledge it ... actually he didn't seem to like it that I mentioned the TSB. He has a new speaker on order but I might go to a different dealership. Its just the next closest Ford dealership is a little over 30 minutes away and this one is convenient. Maybe they know something I dont, who knows.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Associated TSB .....

Front Door Speakers - TSB 12011094 ««« -click-

Quick Reply: Left door speaker problem - Any thoughts?