2009 - 2014 F-150

changing a tire on 2011

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
changing a tire on 2011

Guys,
I was trying to figure out how to lower the spare tire. I know the rod is suppose to go through the key hole on the bumper but it dosent seem to lock into anything, is there some something im missing.

Just wanted to be prepared if i got a flat

thanks

Old 07-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Page 343 of your Owner's Manual.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by pappcam
Page 343 of your Owner's Manual.
Yeah, guess i should of checked there first...duh!

Old 07-26-2011, 01:56 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
It's smart to figure that thing out before you have a flat. The only flat I have had in years was late at night in pouring rain. It helped that I had done a practice run on lowering the spare.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
It's smart to figure that thing out before you have a flat. The only flat I have had in years was late at night in pouring rain. It helped that I had done a practice run on lowering the spare.
I actually lowered and took out the spare in the first week I had the truck just to see. The trouble is that I now have a child seat in the back of my super crew that I'd have to take out to get to the jack.

I guess that's what roadside assistance is for though.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:43 PM
I actually lowered and took out the spare in the first week I had the truck just to see. The trouble is that I now have a child seat in the back of my super crew that I'd have to take out to get to the jack.

A child seat is typically not setup to be permanent so it should be easy to remove in case you need to get to the jack.

At least, my niece's car seat is like that.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:17 AM

Lower the spare tire, remove the jack and wrap it in a towel and plastic, and put it inside the wheel. Stow the spare and you set.

Now the jack is where you need it to be, when you need it.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where then do we store the jack handle? That we need to lower the spare to get the jack.

Thanks

Old 07-30-2011, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by expy03
Lower the spare tire, remove the jack and wrap it in a towel and plastic, and put it inside the wheel. Stow the spare and you set.

Now the jack is where you need it to be, when you need it.
So, why exactly should a person relocate equipment from their factory located storage positions to other places? What if someone other than yourself is doing the tire replacement and are going off the owner's manual?

I just can't foresee a circumstance where I would not be able to access the current stowage spots for the equipment; I may have to move stuff out of the way that I may be hauling on top of the rear seat but none of that should delay me significantly to warrant relocating gear into exposed areas that could potentially lead to corrosion (regardless of the perceived protection qualities that a towel and plastic bag may offer). It's not like I'm racing the Indy 500 and need my tire changed in under a minute. Besides, if I ever did suffer through a flat, I would need all that extra time to calm down and relax before I have at it with the lug wrench.

But then that's just me asking, "huh?"

So if it makes you sleep better at night doing all this, then knock yourself out!

Last edited by Augster; 07-30-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by Augster
So, why exactly should a person relocate equipment from their factory located storage positions to other places? What if someone other than yourself is doing the tire replacement and are going off the owner's manual?

I just can't foresee a circumstance where I would not be able to access the current stowage spots for the equipment; I may have to move stuff out of the way that I may be hauling on top of the rear seat but none of that should delay me significantly to warrant relocating gear into exposed areas that could potentially lead to corrosion (regardless of the perceived protection qualities that a towel and plastic bag may offer). It's not like I'm racing the Indy 500 and need my tire changed in under a minute. Besides, if I ever did suffer through a flat, I would need all that extra time to calm down and relax before I have at it with the lug wrench.

But then that's just me asking, "huh?"

So if it makes you sleep better at night doing all this, then knock yourself out!
Well for starters, pull the thorn out of your butt.

It's just an idea that believe it or not, some of us have been doing for years. On a dark stretch of roadway, it's nice to know where everything is when you need it. I have changed many flat tires for others, and can say for a fact, the majority of drivers have no idea where the spare tire is, and very few can find the jack when it's needed. So to have everything in one place is very handy. For many years, vehicles that had the full size tire in the trunk had the jack inside the wheel.

It's not like I'm racing the Indy 500 and need my tire changed in under a minute.
True. But if you are changing a tire on the driver's side next to the interstate with vehicles going by at 75 mph, you might want to hurry it up.

The less time spent, the less probability that some person driving by and not paying attention will drift over into the emergency land and strike your vehicle.

Have you actually looked at the jack provided and where it is stowed? It's in a plastic box. wrap it in an old towel and plastic bag and it will be fine. But it's just an idea. You are free to ignore it and continue about your life with no negative impact on your life at all.

So with all of that said, I keep a floor jack in the bed of my truck which is even faster and easier to get to. Along with a piece of wood for jacking up in the dirt. I also have jumper cables, water, spare fuzes, bulbs, tools, tow strap, air pump, impact wrench, and a 4 way lug wrench.

I have only been driving for 41 years. In that time I have changed not only flat tires on the road, but fuel pumps, fuel filters, ujoints, wheel bearings, bulbs, hoses, belts, alternators and parts I can't remember. But I am sure I have more to learn and can appreciate great ideas that members like yourself come up with, unless it's "call AAA". That I do not do.

So, thank you so much for your input. I will sleep better tonight.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by expy03
Well for starters, pull the thorn out of your butt.
Touchy feeley aren't we?

And I've "only" been driving for 30 years, but heck, I guess it's now down to "who's is bigger."

We are all entitled to our opinions, and I've certainly fought for mine and yours so live your dream!

And yes, I've taken out my jack and used it for grins.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:59 PM
My jack is in the garage because I need the extra floor space to stack bins and a tool bucket that won't fit on the other side (due to sub). Now I know what to do with it for those times when I can't reach AAA. Thanks.

Quick Reply: changing a tire on 2011