2009 - 2014 F-150

Ecoboost complaints......

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weren't you the one whose truck was missing in action for an extended period of time between build and delivery? I'm now VERY suspicious of the real reason for that - it probably came down the line and failed all kinds of QC - and they may have patched it up the best they could and released it instead of scrapping it as they probably should.
Yep, That was me. The truck was built on 19 Feb (a Saturday), released from the factory on 20 Feb, then recalled to the factory on 21 Feb, and re-released on 23 Feb.....then it sat in "the lot" at Dearborn until it was shipped on 7 Apr (42 days). Nobody could give me any answers as to what the deal was, aside for the "transport problems" that were rumored, but I have a friend who lives in that area, and drives by the plant everyday. He told me that the lot was crammed with trucks, and that every day he drove by, there were "tents" set up over different trucks with folks working on them.....I could never get any information about what was going on with that. (makes me wonder if a run of trucks was screwed up, and Ford used the transport problems story as a cover while trying to fix them)
I got a call from the dealership yesterday to bring the truck in on Monday. We'll see where this all goes (this will be the 6th trip in for all it's issues in 4+ months of ownership), but right now I suspect they will come back and say "We can't find anything wrong." If that occurs....not sure what I'll do. This truck has been just shy of 5 months of headaches and frustration.

I just had another "wacky" electronics thing happen yesterday....I stopped by our mailbox to get the mail...the driver's window was down, and as I started to pull away, I hit the "Max AC" button.....the AC did not come on, but the driver's window went half way up, all the way down, and then all the way closed....THEN the AC kicked on.
I know I don't want to keep this particular truck.... I have lost all faith in this one. If they can't completely fix this thing, or give me another truck, I think it will end up with me asking them how much it's worth for a trade in. My daughter owns a 2003 Tacoma, that I have even considered asking here if she'll sell me. This having been the first new vehicle I've ever purchased in my 48 years, it's been a real souring experience.

Last edited by EdCaffreyMS; 08-27-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by Fabrik8edDreamz
dunno yet it's 3am and i pick mine up in 7 hours 2011 fx4 SCrew dark silver woot!
Got the sterling gray last night!

Old 08-27-2011, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by EdCaffreyMS
Yep, That was me. The truck was built on 19 Feb (a Saturday), released from the factory on 20 Feb, then recalled to the factory on 21 Feb, and re-released on 23 Feb.....then it sat in "the lot" at Dearborn until it was shipped on 7 Apr (42 days). Nobody could give me any answers as to what the deal was, aside for the "transport problems" that were rumored, but I have a friend who lives in that area, and drives by the plant everyday. He told me that the lot was crammed with trucks, and that every day he drove by, there were "tents" set up over different trucks with folks working on them.....I could never get any information about what was going on with that. (makes me wonder if a run of trucks was screwed up, and Ford used the transport problems story as a cover while trying to fix them)
I got a call from the dealership yesterday to bring the truck in on Monday. We'll see where this all goes (this will be the 6th trip in for all it's issues in 4+ months of ownership), but right now I suspect they will come back and say "We can't find anything wrong." If that occurs....not sure what I'll do. This truck has been just shy of 5 months of headaches and frustration.

I just had another "wacky" electronics thing happen yesterday....I stopped by our mailbox to get the mail...the driver's window was down, and as I started to pull away, I hit the "Max AC" button.....the AC did not come on, but the driver's window went half way up, all the way down, and then all the way closed....THEN the AC kicked on.
I know I don't want to keep this particular truck.... I have lost all faith in this one. If they can't completely fix this thing, or give me another truck, I think it will end up with me asking them how much it's worth for a trade in. My daughter owns a 2003 Tacoma, that I have even considered asking here if she'll sell me. This having been the first new vehicle I've ever purchased in my 48 years, it's been a real souring experience.
I can understand why.

If you do get the same truck back, it would be a good thing for all involved to get a "FREE EXTENDED WARRANTY" from FOMOCO.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:45 PM

It was my understanding it was a problem with the paint on the hoods. Something about having contaminants in the paint. They had them at Ford plant, also sat a bunch of them up the road at a mall that has pretty much been abandoned. Metro North if your familiar with the area.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:50 PM
I have had mine 3 months, no complaints.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:15 PM
The new Tuxedo Blacks have added little green particles that glow in the dark, these days.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:48 AM
I am getting horrible mileage when "Ecoboosting" around town. There should be a damn switch on the truck so I dont "Ecoboost" it on accident (Aww what am I talking about, it is ALWAYS on purpose LoL) SSSSssssssooooo hard to keep my foot out of it when my truck is like a freaking slingshot!

Old 09-19-2011, 08:52 AM
The truck is headed back to the shop this morning. This is it's 8th time in the shop in 6 months of ownership.

It would seem that finding/fixing the loose grounding points solved my electronics issues. Since it's last time in, no electronic "wackiness" has occurred.

Now it's time to work on the shifting/tranny issues. In certain situations the 1-2 shift will snap your head back, and the 5-4 down shift always seems like the tranny is searching for 4th gear, with the truck surging back and forth several times before it finally finds 4th.
The truck also has a problem with shifting into reverse after sitting overnight....get in it, start it. and shift to "reverse"....the gear does not engage, and the truck just sits there for 10-15 seconds. Then I can feel the gear "building up", and then it will engage. A couple of days ago, when the gear did engage, it acted like I had the pedal pressed......when the gear did engage, the truck "chirped" the wheels and lunged backwards before I could cram my foot on the brake. NOT COOL!

For whatever reason, since they located/fixed the loose grounds, the MPG has improved! She's getting about 16 around town now. After the truck gets back from this visit, I'm going to do a little highway testing to find where that MPG is now.

The folks at the dealership are chipping away at the issues, but being the impatient sort, it drives me nuts sometimes.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:15 AM
I really don't have any complaints? But if I had to look for one I guess it would be that I can't hear the turbos spooling up. I wanna hear that everytime!!

Old 09-19-2011, 10:39 AM
I now have 15,000 Km on mine and the you can hear the turbos spoolin'. Only a couple complaints now. I had a cylinder 1 misfire while on a road trip, but the Ford Dealer could not do anything about it cause they couldn't duplicate the misfire... The "ticking" noise seems to get louder. Been told its "normal" for the direct injected engines, funny though I never heard it when I first got the truck or with a friends ecoboost in town...
Other than that lots of power and really tough to keep the turbos from spooling up when in town so my mpg's are not that great (avg. 14.2 L/100Km for in town / 12.2 L/100km for highway)

Old 09-19-2011, 06:51 PM
I picked the truck up from the dealership this afternoon, after a visit to get the tranny/shifting issues checked out. They updated the PCM to the latest version.
The tranny is acting MUCH better. The 1-2 shift no longer bounces my head off the headrest, and the 4-5 down shift seems better then when it went in.

The gear indicator on the dash now shows up by default every time the truck is in "D".

I took it for a drive around town on some errands, and the MPG dash gadget showed 16.5.......I then took it on a highway drive at 70mph, about 15 miles each way. Going, I was bucking a head wind, and got 13.4mph....on the way back, with a tail wind, 19.4mpg.

I don't think I'll ever stop being amazed at how much "little" things impact the MPG on this truck. That being said, if this PCM update fixes the shifting issues, I'm headed towards being a happy F150 owner.

My next move is to remove the mud flaps, and try the same trip again....the mud flaps are only flexible enough to contour to the fenders, and go about 1/2 way around the fender (flaps are on all four corners). I had hoped to keep from slinging mud up the sides of the truck and across the windshield during hunting season/winter, but if it means a couple more MPG, I'll live with a muddy rig. Some might call me crazy, but it seems like ANYTHING added to these trucks that catches ANY wind while driving, drops the MPG significantly. I'll know more after the next trip without the mud flaps.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:08 PM
Talking Report

I got my fx2 with the Eco about a week and a half ago. I got about 1k miles on it so far and not one problem from the truck. Im avg about 16.0 to 16.8 for all city driving.All the miles have been city so far, I want to get it out on the hwy for a trip in the near future. Im really liking this truck. Ford has made a nice truck once again. Give you more updates as time goes by.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:15 PM
Ok, have about 300 miles on the truck so far.

Only 2 complaints.

1. Under moderate acceleration I hear this "whistling" sound from the passenger rear of my truck.

2. I have looked everywhere for the power steering fluid and can't find it anywhere!!!!!

Old 09-28-2011, 09:27 PM
I don't think I'll ever stop being amazed at how much "little" things impact the MPG on this truck. That being said, if this PCM update fixes the shifting issues, I'm headed towards being a happy F150 owner.

My next move is to remove the mud flaps, and try the same trip again....the mud flaps are only flexible enough to contour to the fenders, and go about 1/2 way around the fender (flaps are on all four corners). I had hoped to keep from slinging mud up the sides of the truck and across the windshield during hunting season/winter, but if it means a couple more MPG, I'll live with a muddy rig. Some might call me crazy, but it seems like ANYTHING added to these trucks that catches ANY wind while driving, drops the MPG significantly. I'll know more after the next trip without the mud flaps.
I think this is because Ford has these things so highly tuned that any little thing out of whack results in a loss of economy. Kind of like how elite athletes do everything they can for the best performance. A .01 second improvement is a great improvement at the top levels.

If you're that concerned with mud being thrown, you could always put the flaps on during hunting season and leave them on until the weather starts getting nice in the spring. Granted I didn't leave the city much in the winter (except to play football) but I know those streets were horrible and speeds were very high. I don't know if it is any better now, since I haven't been up there in a very long time. I can't tell you how many times the city bus was hit while I was riding in it.

Last edited by 1depd; 09-28-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:15 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by pgh_medic
Ok, have about 300 miles on the truck so far.

Only 2 complaints.

1. Under moderate acceleration I hear this "whistling" sound from the passenger rear of my truck.

2. I have looked everywhere for the power steering fluid and can't find it anywhere!!!!!
You ARE kidding, right?

Quick Reply: Ecoboost complaints......