2009 - 2014 F-150

New EB vs 6.2 Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 08:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go for the 6.2 as it is a great motor, I like the eb but that is why ford makes different engines.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bluegreenf150
From Pickuptrucks.com...
"At highway speeds unloaded and while towing all of the trucks had a solid steering feel that was very similar to that of the 2009-10 F-150."
I disagree with this comment. The electric power steering has far less feedback from the road than any hydraulic system. I've had my truck for 2 months now and I am still getting used to the new feel of the steering wheel.

So far the only advantage I see with the electric vs hydraulic power steering is the potential fuel savings.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the reply. Pickuptrucks.com says you could feel that way until you get used to it.

More on this from another road test by pickuptrucks.com:
"The 2011 F-150 also features standard 12-volt electric power-assisted steering for every engine except the 6.2 V-8 – the first half-ton pickup to do so. (The limited-volume Chevy Silverado Hybrid uses a 42-volt system.) The steering feels light when the truck is stopped and during low-speed maneuvers. It dynamically adjusts steering effort to match the speed and loads the truck is under. On the highway, the steering was precise and provided excellent driver feedback. There was none of the numbness generally associated with electric steering’s early days in small cars. It seemed to vary boost levels as we entered turns, smoothly assisting the trailer around bends in contrast to the on/off boost that can occur with conventional hydraulic steering pumps.

As we drove across the desert, we encountered strong winds that had knocked several semis off the highway the day before. While we could feel the gusts buffeting the truck and trailer, we never felt control was an issue. At least once, immediately passing an 18-wheeler, we were hit by a strong gale that seemed to trigger the F-150’s trailer-sway control system."

Old 07-30-2011, 10:31 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The 6.2 does in fact have electric fans. There's also been one guy on here with major problems with his electric steering and unfortunately, his was of a safety nature with the steering pretty much doing what it wanted to do. Now dont get me wrong...I know that's only one out of a gazillion trucks, but that's some scary do do right there.

BTW, (some of) you guys in general are doing a horrible job of answering the OP's original questions about when the 6.2 would be the better choice. LOL. This was not intended to be a EB or 6.2 bashing contest.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by Galaxy
BTW, (some of) you guys in general are doing a horrible job of answering the OP's original questions about when the 6.2 would be the better choice. LOL.
I think we all (pro-con) answered in a way..... If you have lots of extra cash laying around for fuel, mark-up, and V8 noise then it's right for you

Old 07-30-2011, 12:10 PM
Yea, but I'm just not buying fuel/mark-up/American V-8 sound are the only three reasons the 6.2 is the better choice.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Ford really brought the immaturity out of alot of people by offering these new motor options.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by Galaxy
Yea, but I'm just not buying fuel/mark-up/American V-8 sound are the only three reasons the 6.2 is the better choice.
OK, I'll be more serious. The EB & 6.2 use the same tranny, have the same tow ratings, damn near the same ft-lb (the EB actually threw down a higher number to the ground), 6.2 makes 46 more flywheel HP-but to the ground they are close, pretty much neck and neck in performance numbers. So why does it cost $3k more? simple, Ford is offering it to folks who want power & performace but can't stomach owning a V6.
Ford is pushing the EB hard because of CAFE (corporate avg fuel economy). The 6.2L is a black eye for them and would rather push the higher MPG engine to help them out.
If you like a roaring V8 that also likes fuel, then go for it. Otherwise it's pretty much a wash everywhere else.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hydro1
OK, I'll be more serious. The EB & 6.2 use the same tranny, have the same tow ratings, damn near the same ft-lb (the EB actually threw down a higher number to the ground), 6.2 makes 46 more flywheel HP-but to the ground they are close, pretty much neck and neck in performance numbers. So why does it cost $3k more? simple, Ford is offering it to folks who want power & performace but can't stomach owning a V6.
Ford is pushing the EB hard because of CAFE (corporate avg fuel economy). The 6.2L is a black eye for them and would rather push the higher MPG engine to help them out.
If you like a roaring V8 that also likes fuel, then go for it. Otherwise it's pretty much a wash everywhere else.
What he said plus it is an easy way to claim bragging rights, they can honestly say they have the most horsepower and torque of any half ton truck and the best fuel mileage. This addresses the lingering issue of Ford trucks lacking power and economy. However, they can not sell many of this model without breaking the CAFE and then paying the fines for doing so. To get around this they only install it in the very top end trucks and for premium over what is really the better motor. This will push most buyers to opt for the EB or 5.0 which will help the CAFE and do the job just as well as all the tests have shown.

GM does the same thing with their 6.2, it is available over a wider range of trucks but good luck finding one in anything but the very top end models. The Super Duty is a different market and exempt from CAFE (for now). Once that changes expect to see something like the EB as the base model for the F-250.

If you really have your heart set on a 6.2 don't let us stop you from getting it. It is your money and how you spend it is your business. But on paper and the street the EB really is the best motor in the F-150. I'm just happy that we can all argue about how good our motors are now, the other guys ain't even worth talking about anymore!

Old 07-30-2011, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by Dusten

(1) The 5.0L is a SuperCrew, 36 gal. tank, 4x4 with 3.73 rear gears.
(2) The EB is a 2wd Lariat SuperCrew, 26 gal. tank, with 3.73 gears.
(3) The 6.2L is a Harley Edition, 26 gal. tank with 3.55 rear gears.

Their Dyno pulls were the same as other magazines and tuner's. They had to disconnect sensors and play with it some to get a decent Dyno pull from the EB. It seems to be the only way to get a Dyno pull with good numbers on the EB.

Not one magazine, etc. has run a 5.0L, an EB and a 6.2L with the same cab configuration or rear gears.

So, the answer is NO. There has not been an identical test done.

I recommend spending some time at the dealer and drive all the powertrains. Each one of them have good and not so good aspects. The 5.0L engine gets decent mileage, 21+ on the highway, it pull's well when you hit the go pedal and it has a great exhaust note. The EB is newer technology, get's good mileage when not towing, comes in many configurations and it is the future of full size trucks. The 6.2L has the highest HP rating of the bunch. It is a thisty V8 with a great exhaust note and gas will not always be $3.50/ gallon.

No matter the choice, it will definitely be better than what the other manufacturers have to offer.

Last edited by Blue07STX; 07-30-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:45 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
I drove tthe EB and the 5.0 back to back at the dealer and the turbo lag would be something I would have to get used to. The 5.0 response was instant and they both had the same kick once they responded. I liked the "feel" of the 5.0 better and am going with it. I would love to have the 6.2 but just can't justify the cost nor do I want the type vehicles you can get it in.

The two truck I drove were identical except for engine. One weird thing I noticed was that when experiencing the turbo lag and changing lanes, the electric steering was much more noticable to me. The truck felt light on the front end at that moment, is the only way I know how to describe it.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:59 PM
My point is this...If you tow medium to heavy on a regular basis, like the V8 Growl, & like the lifespan of a V8 the 6.2 is your child. I tend to keep my trucks for many years as I don't lease, or even trade a vehicle until it has at least 100K miles! I for one would choose the 6.2 over the Eco anyday of the week! The 3.5 Eco needs twin turbos for its claim to fame! The 6.2 needs nothing! In fact if both trucks were towing a 10,000 Lb trailer is the Eco Boost getting that much better fuel ecomony than the 6.2? Really? I didn't think so cause its working twice as hard as the 6.2 V8 Beast & being twice as stressed! Sorry folks, but when I'm shelling out $40K large for a new truck, I'll go with what I know is gonna last 200K miles with little or no worries! Why doesn't FoMoCo offer a better warranty on the Ecoboost? That speaks volumes to me!!!

Last edited by risupercrewman; 07-30-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
I drove tthe EB and the 5.0 back to back at the dealer and the turbo lag would be something I would have to get used to. The 5.0 response was instant and they both had the same kick once they responded. I liked the "feel" of the 5.0 better and am going with it. I would love to have the 6.2 but just can't justify the cost nor do I want the type vehicles you can get it in.

The two truck I drove were identical except for engine. One weird thing I noticed was that when experiencing the turbo lag and changing lanes, the electric steering was much more noticable to me. The truck felt light on the front end at that moment, is the only way I know how to describe it.
Don't tell me that your trading in your tried & true 2005 5.4 3v?.......

Old 07-30-2011, 04:16 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
Don't tell me that your trading in your tried & true 2005 5.4 3v?.......
I am doing a lot of driving now, much of it late at night and my wife is concerned that the truck is 6 years old, 134,000 miles. I am probably going to buy a new one and sell mine. Actually, with the tuner, it feels just as strong as the 5.0 and the EB. Sure been a good one and I thought I would go to 200,000 at least, but I'm tired of the nagging.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
The lag seems to go away after a little while. When I first got mine there seemed to be a small pause before the power really seamed to kick in. It caused me to squwal the back tires a few times. Now it just goes nice and smooth, I think it is part of the PCM learning process and is most noticeable on the brand new trucks. I have 10,000 on mine now and if you were closer I'd toss you the keys to see if was still so bad. Another thing I have found is there seems to be some type of limiter when you go from stop to WOT. I think many are thinking this is turbo lag but I actually think the PCM is not letting the truck go wide out until it gets moving and gradually adds the power. If you roll onto the throttle and then nail the skinny pedal it seems to be much faster.

The 5.0 does sound good, especially once you top 90...

Quick Reply: New EB vs 6.2 Question