2009 - 2014 F-150

New EB vs 6.2 Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokewagun
You know, some of you really have way too much time on your hands to sit here like little old ladies in a sewing circle beating the durability of engines. Buy what you like and be done with it! The fact is, so many are joining the discussion and they aren't any where near buying a new truck, but they talk with conviction as if they were signing a check today.
It's plain and simple. Whoever is buying a new rig needs to do THEIR homework. None of the engines are junk. A high-powered six-cylinder is just a hard sell because it is new. I remember when fuel injection was new.... it was the same skepticism.
Sales are showing the EcoBoost is becoming more accepted, and I think all the nay-sayers will be eating crow soon enough.
I still can't see why the tests Ford did with the EcoBoost are so hard to believe. They broke the engine down basically with the press present and documented the whole thing. It was about as perfect as it could be after being tortured. Call me gullible, then, because I believe it.
I've logged alot more miles in a year than about 90% of the readers on this board, had plenty of engines and trannies that people said were garbage, and had good luck.
Bottom line OP, drive them all, consider your options and your uses, and buy what you want. If you like V-8 growl and don't mind time at the pump, go for the 6.2L. Ifyou want the same power with the option to potentially save fuel while cruising, but blow the doors off someone on the howdy, too, do the EcoBoost. Good luck in whatever YOU choose.
Amen to that!

Old 08-01-2011, 06:50 PM
I dont know why people "cant stand the sound of a TTV6"!! The eco makes peak torque at a lower rpm then the 6.2 and it uses less fuel! If you need your truck to be a regular DD, tow, and get better mpg, its perfect! How is the 6.2 more reliable then the Eco? right now neither is more reliable, its too early to tell! If it were me I would consider the 5.0 or the eco, its cheaper!

Old 08-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 70BOSS302
mmmmm, I have noticed one thing the eco-boost owners sure are protective. While a ncie motor it may be, I'll take a NA V8 over a V6 turbo engine, making the same power, any day of the week. You start compressing and forcing air into an engine, it will be less reliable and require more maintenance in the long run, than its NA counterpart making the same power.
Finally somebody with some common sense!...........

Old 08-01-2011, 08:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
I'm not bashing anything! All I am saying is that this "New Engine", has a whole lot of real world consumer testing before I would spend a nickle on it.....I am not a gullable person who believes everything a company states as gospel about its new products until they prove themselves in the real world.....
5.0 v8, new. 6.2 v8, new.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Stealth
5.0 v8, new. 6.2 v8, new.
Yup, but they are normally asperated,& non turboed & V8's that are already proven durable by their arcutechture!

Old 08-01-2011, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
Yup, but they are normally asperated,& non turboed & V8's that are already proven durable by their arcutechture!
right, because there no turbo v6's anywhere in the werold that have proven to be reliable...
How many v8's has ford built with VVT? Better yet, how many DOHC truck motors has ford buillt with VVT?

Old 08-02-2011, 12:11 AM
Im pretty sure the 5.4's have spark plug problems, and cam phaser problems, but they were N/A v8?!?! well guess what any engine can have problems! Some people on this forum just have a problem with driving a v6 that gets 21mpg and makes peak torque at 2500rpm's and 90% of it is available at 1700-5000rpms! Plus its cheaper because the 6.2 is only available in the highest of trim levels! not saying the 6.2 is bad at all but for the money the eco wins out! also ford should do somthing like dodge when they put a hemi in a base model and made it available for people who only needed the engine and not the luxurys!

Old 08-02-2011, 05:00 AM
I just read on a competing F-150 forum that Ford issued a TSB for 5.0 knocking. This is proven meme?

Old 08-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by bluegreenf150
I just read on a competing F-150 forum that Ford issued a TSB for 5.0 knocking. This is proven meme?
It looks like the fix is a new design AC Belt kit/PCM reflash.

Last edited by Blue07STX; 08-02-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Can you post the TSB?

Old 08-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Just wondering what the average age is of the members around here? I would swear that this forum is filled with a bunch of 13 year olds. Even the new 3.7 v6 is an impressive motor and I can't say either of the four motor options ford has given us are bad designs. Why not buy what you prefer and stop the bickering? Go ahead and flame away.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by 2004Triton5.4
Just wondering what the average age is of the members around here? I would swear that this forum is filled with a bunch of 13 year olds. Even the new 3.7 v6 is an impressive motor and I can't say either of the four motor options ford has given us are bad designs. Why not buy what you prefer and stop the bickering? Go ahead and flame away.
That's what I am saying, all the motors are a step up from what they replaced. Ford is finally at the top of the hill as far as motors go, and now we cant stop fighting amongst ourselves. I have said it I don't know how many times, the ecoboost is a great motor, however if I were going to buy a new f150 I would get the 5.0 because I would want an exhaust and to mod the crap out of it. Luckily I don't have to worry about it because I have 6.7 PSD instead of a new 5.0.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by birddog_61
That's what I am saying, all the motors are a step up from what they replaced. Ford is finally at the top of the hill as far as motors go, and now we cant stop fighting amongst ourselves. I have said it I don't know how many times, the ecoboost is a great motor, however if I were going to buy a new f150 I would get the 5.0 because I would want an exhaust and to mod the crap out of it. Luckily I don't have to worry about it because I have 6.7 PSD instead of a new 5.0.
I will buy a new truck when I can find a used 2011 for a cheaper price. Im not willing too spend $40k for a truck. Im not sure which motor im gonna get. I have driven two trucks with the 5.0 and was impressed but wanna check out an ecoboost before making a decision.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:26 PM
2004triton,
Can't you see the writing in the wall? People come here to gripe and post what they WOULD do IF they were buying, but most are just offering their justifications of why they like what they like... Even though their checkbooks are empty. Maybe it's Eco envy, or 6.2 envy?

Old 08-02-2011, 02:36 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokewagun
2004triton,
Can't you see the writing in the wall? People come here to gripe and post what they WOULD do IF they were buying, but most are just offering their justifications of why they like what they like... Even though their checkbooks are empty. Maybe it's Eco envy, or 6.2 envy?
Not all of us! I bought a 5.0 last Saturday.

Quick Reply: New EB vs 6.2 Question