2009 - 2014 F-150

New EB vs 6.2 Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 06:47 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
New EB vs 6.2 Question

OK guys, I searched so my apologies to start if I missed it. I

Is there a scenario outside of towing (that one seems to be pretty evident what the popular choice is) where the 6.2 may be the better motor to get??? One scenario in particular that I couldn't find searching was what if the plans are lift kit and big tires?? Seems to be mentioned quite often this may leave the EB in a position where it's providing boost all the time, potentially negating the fuel benefit of the motor. Just a thought.

Plus, anyone just simply hung up, and unable to get over the matter of wanting to own a big 'ol V8?? I can't imagine not having that sound. I'm sure the mods for the EB will become popular in the near future, but a great sounding exhaust surely won't be in that group, LOL.

Just making conversation guys!!

Old 07-29-2011, 06:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, its called the scenario of a truck motor that will last for years under heavy abuse with minimal operating costs, henceforth my vote goes to a nornal asperated 6.2 Beast!!!
Why be Fords Eco- Guinea Pig on a truck costing close to 40K large!

Old 07-29-2011, 06:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you can afford the extra fuel get the 6.2.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i want a 6.2 but i want a supercrew w/ 6.5' bed. for some reason that cant be done....

Old 07-29-2011, 11:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you like gas stations, truck stops, lot lizards, Exxon-Mobile, BP, Citgo, Connoco, Shell or Texaco the 6.2 is your friend.

The EB has electric fans where as I'm pretty sure the 6.2 has the old mechanical style, when sitting still or in town the EB's A/C will work better. The EB has the newer electric steering that adjusts to speed and cross winds the 6.2 has the old version. When tested heads up the EB is faster loaded, faster unloaded, has more useable torque and gets better MPG by a long shot. The only thing it lacks is a loud pronounced exhaust note. But after a few months with the EB the exhaust note grows on you. It has a nasty snarl to in when you stomp on the skinny pedal.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth
If you can afford the extra fuel get the 6.2.
No No No, not just fuel. If you can fork over an extra $3,000 and still get beat 0-60mph and the 1/4 mile by the EB, get the 6.2L

Old 07-30-2011, 12:54 AM
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
Yes, its called the scenario of a truck motor that will last for years under heavy abuse with minimal operating costs, henceforth my vote goes to a nornal asperated 6.2 Beast!!!
Why be Fords Eco- Guinea Pig on a truck costing close to 40K large!
I don't know if I've ever seen a halfway intelligent post come from your account. All you post is negative opinion based on your unfounded assumption that the EB is a turd. Consider growing up a tiny bit...

Old 07-30-2011, 01:08 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by TX Chris
I don't know if I've ever seen a halfway intelligent post come from your account. All you post is negative opinion based on your unfounded assumption that the EB is a turd. Consider growing up a tiny bit...
Ease up Chris. He has every right to express his opinion just as you do.

Last edited by Bluejay; 07-30-2011 at 01:53 AM.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:14 AM
Originally Posted by Wookie
If you like gas stations, truck stops, lot lizards, Exxon-Mobile, BP, Citgo, Connoco, Shell or Texaco the 6.2 is your friend.

The EB has electric fans where as I'm pretty sure the 6.2 has the old mechanical style, when sitting still or in town the EB's A/C will work better. The EB has the newer electric steering that adjusts to speed and cross winds the 6.2 has the old version. When tested heads up the EB is faster loaded, faster unloaded, has more useable torque and gets better MPG by a long shot. The only thing it lacks is a loud pronounced exhaust note. But after a few months with the EB the exhaust note grows on you. It has a nasty snarl to in when you stomp on the skinny pedal.
Is there an actual head to head apple to apple comparison to prove these claims? Not being confrontational just wondering if I missed an article because I would love to see a head to head. Pickuptrucks.com was supposed to do a heads up test with the 5.0, 3.5, and 6.2. They were all gonna be equiped as close as possible, but they haven't done the test yet.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:04 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Ease up Chris. He has every right to express his opinion just as you do.
Sorry Jim, I might have to agree with Chris on that one. Everyone here is a brother; but I swear, if he has a reason for the EcoBoost bashing I have yet to see it.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:30 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
Sorry Jim, I might have to agree with Chris on that one. Everyone here is a brother; but I swear, if he has a reason for the EcoBoost bashing I have yet to see it.
He didn't bash it at all, just said he preferred the 6.2. He has a right to that opinion.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:48 AM
Originally Posted by islandcat1
Is there an actual head to head apple to apple comparison to prove these claims? Not being confrontational just wondering if I missed an article because I would love to see a head to head. Pickuptrucks.com was supposed to do a heads up test with the 5.0, 3.5, and 6.2. They were all gonna be equiped as close as possible, but they haven't done the test yet.
Yes they have...

Old 07-30-2011, 02:54 AM
Old 07-30-2011, 04:02 AM
Originally Posted by Wookie
...The EB has the newer electric steering that adjusts to speed and cross winds the 6.2 has the old version.
That right there is the deal breaker for me.

I really like the steering in my 2010; the truck has great road feel and handling for what it is - last thing I want is electric steering so you can't feel the road.

Even though fuel would be more for the 6.2 I'd have to get that one to avoid the fly by wire nonsense - part of enjoying a vehicle is being connected to it when your driving and the braking, handling and steering on the 2010s is just amazing considering the weight and size of the damn things.

So, electric steering is not something I could ever put up with.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by Joe Rotax
That right there is the deal breaker for me.

I really like the steering in my 2010; the truck has great road feel and handling for what it is - last thing I want is electric steering so you can't feel the road.

Even though fuel would be more for the 6.2 I'd have to get that one to avoid the fly by wire nonsense - part of enjoying a vehicle is being connected to it when your driving and the braking, handling and steering on the 2010s is just amazing considering the weight and size of the damn things.

So, electric steering is not something I could ever put up with.
From Pickuptrucks.com...

"It's important to note that (electric power steering) EPS is not drive-by-wire, which removes direct mechanical linkages from the steering wheel to the drive wheels. EPS provides power assistance while the truck is still controlled from the steering column to an intermediate shaft to the rack-and-pinion gears and to the tie rods at the wheels and tires."

"Turning the truck at low speeds required much less effort than it has in the past, thanks to its all-new, electric power-assisted steering that replaces the old 12-volt engine-driven hydraulic steering system..."

"At highway speeds unloaded and while towing all of the trucks had a solid steering feel that was very similar to that of the 2009-10 F-150."

Some of the other benefits: less fighting the wheel in heavy crosswinds or on roads with high crowns, 4% better fuel economy, mitigates vibration that was caused by out of balance wheels or rough roads on the older models, no maintenance, no power steering fluid to mess with, less parts to break, and in the winter no power steering whine.....

Quick Reply: New EB vs 6.2 Question