2009 - 2014 F-150

Very frustrated with these water spots. With pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05supercrew
Can this be used on glass?
From the web page.

Use with steel wool, very fine 0000 for eliminating water spots on windows. Super fine steel wool works best with this water spot remover for removing water spots from car windows.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do not use steel wool on glass you will scratch the crap out of it no matter how fine it is. Clay the glass and wash the windows with vinegar and if that does not work they make glass polishing kits as well as specific polishes for glass. RollingRock has used this polish with good succes on water spotted glass that would not come clean.

http://www.topoftheline.com/glasspolish.html

Here is the thread at the Cafe on what RollingRock had to do to his Expedition to reduce the water spots he had.

http://www.thedetailerscafe.com/smf/...sg5546#msg5546

Old 08-08-2011, 09:08 PM
yes along with 0000 steel wool. and always make sure the surface is cool and do not apply in the sun. dont be scared about steel wool on glass. as long as you are not applying great amounts of pressure and you have a nice amount of the solution. It is ACIDIC so be very careful and be sure to read all directs.

Last edited by killershine; 08-08-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:42 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Thumbs up

On glass, use "Spot-X Hard Water Stain and Spot Remover".

It will NOT harm the glass and residue just rinses off. This stuff is so easy .... and so good!

http://www.spot-x.net/

Bothered by water spots on your windshield, dangerous road film, or silicone buildup? Spot-X Hard Water Stain & Spot Remover cleans stubborn hard water stains from your vehicle glass. Whether the water stains are caused by acid rain, salt water, sprinklers or well water, Spot-X will work where other cleaners have failed. While Spot-X cannot be used on auto paint it will not harm the paint if it drips on it. Just don't rub it into the paint. Simply rinse off with water.

Spot-X is non-toxic and non-corrosive. It does not contain phosphates, acids, bleach, solvents, detergents, ammonia or butyl.

Spot-X contains all Natural Organic Ingredients, Balanced Neutral pH Factor, Skin Friendly Formula, Can Be Used By Chemically Sensitive People

Finally a hard water stain cleaner that does not contain dangerous caustic acids. Spot-X Glass Restorer removes water spots caused by mineral deposits, acid rain, salt water, well water, road grime, soap scum and sprinklers.

http://www.spot-x.net/html/instructions.html

Old 08-10-2011, 02:05 AM
use some CLR or is it CRL thats all you need then wax it good!

Old 08-10-2011, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by killershine
yes along with 0000 steel wool. and always make sure the surface is cool and do not apply in the sun. dont be scared about steel wool on glass. as long as you are not applying great amounts of pressure and you have a nice amount of the solution. It is ACIDIC so be very careful and be sure to read all directs.
Thank you.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:23 PM
I had water spots on the glass of my 9 day old Lariat. Called the dealer and took it by today. Their detail guy used a clay bar and removed all of the spots on the glass in 45 minutes. This entailed every inch of glass on the truck. Good luck!

Old 08-11-2011, 07:17 AM
Originally Posted by SuwaneeTiger
I had water spots on the glass of my 9 day old Lariat. Called the dealer and took it by today. Their detail guy used a clay bar and removed all of the spots on the glass in 45 minutes. This entailed every inch of glass on the truck. Good luck!
A good clay bar and/or Mother's Chrome Polish will work on fresh water spots. Although, it will not work on hard water deposits that are several years old. I purchased a Gen. 1 Lightning a few years ago with severe water spots on the glass and have yet to find any product, professional detail grade or otherwise that will remove them.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:47 PM
This will take the water stains off, Guaranteed! It’s what I use to remove water stains on everything including the mirrors.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dsq3973
First off quit jumping to the most agressive polish/pad combo right off the batt you will just agrivate the situtaion. Try the vinegar and if that does not do the trick and if the agressive polish pad combo have not touched it, it's time to take it to a pro to correct the problem because if the water spots are etched into the clear the only way to get rid of them is wet sanding and I do not recomend that you do this on your own because you can dig your self into a very deep and expensive hole quickly if you don't know what you are doing. Post this in the Detailing section or join the Detailers Cafe and let some of the guys over there look at this and give you some suggestions.
Thank you for taking the words right out of my mouth. All of the aggressive compounds / polishes mentioned here might work, but they also run the risk of getting somebody inexperienced into a real corner. Vinegar will generally dissolve the deposit itself. If the deposit etched the paint surface, additional correction work may be in order - up to and including wet sanding. If it's that bad, you probably need professional help.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:49 PM
Never experienced any water spotting on my Tuxedo Black XLT.

What I have had experience with is BIRD PUDDLES cookin onto the hood at about 145F.

All my neighbors feed the little chirpers and I guess my truck looks like a target to them.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:52 PM
Ditto the vinegar. I've use it in the past. Great results, quick and easy

Old 08-16-2011, 10:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 on the vinegar. Works GREAT on glass, and I just tried it on my paint this weekend for the first time. Took a couple tries (I used it VERY sparingly until I was comfortable with it), but it took the spots out.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:56 AM
The 3M product I posted a picture of clearly states it can be used on painted surfaces. Of all the companies I doubt 3M will sell a product that's going to damage the paint or any other surface on your truck.

Quick Reply: Very frustrated with these water spots. With pics